East Orange Beats Montclair at Giants Stadium

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 2:13pm  |  COMMENTS (26)

A reader writes…

Yesterday, Montclair High’s football team lost to East Orange, 31-13, in the Division I championships. I’m not much of a football fan, but did go to Giants Stadium to watch the game ( and to hear the Montclair High marching band…) Two disappointing ref calls hurt Montclair: 1. A (2nd Quarter?) Montclair interception of an East Orange pass, in the end zone, was ruled as a trap rather than a catch; the ref said the ball hit the ground before the Montclair player caught it. 2. In the third quarter, on an East Orange kickoff, the kicker grazed the ball, which toppled from the tee, and rolled about 6 inches before stopping. The ball was grabbed by a Montclair player, who ran it to the end zone for an apparent touchdown. But the ref said that a whistle was inadvertently blown right after the kick. He nullified the play, and the kickoff was repeated…without a Montclair end zone run. Montclair’s star running back, Tahron Green, left the game with a sprained ankle in the first quarter, and his replacement suffered an ankle sprain in the the third quarter. Lots of Montclair fans were there. The players and the band deserve plenty of recognition for enduring the frigid cold – it was really freezing – and there was a very nice show of support from their high school classmates and from other Montclair football fans.

Here’s the play by play of yesterday’s game from the Star Ledger.

1. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  December 03, 2007 @ 2:49 pm

As a member of the EOHS Panther marching band(trumpet), I watched with glee as EO humiliated Montclair 39-0 in 1967. EO was Group IV state champs that year and the next. After the 1968 state championship season, the football players were sporting ‘Back to Back’ varsity jackets with interlocking football helmets on the back.
    It’s good to see EO returning to the glory days of the Tom Dean era.
    “‘Hey Red, Hey Blue, you look so good to me’. I said ‘Hey Red, Hey Blue, you look so good to me.’ …”

2. POSTED BY Cheese_with_your_wine?  |  December 03, 2007 @ 2:57 pm

Sour Grapes should have been the title. East Orange was the better team yesterday. Congrats though to Montclair who had a great season as well.

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  December 03, 2007 @ 3:21 pm

I’m sorry I missed it (which is easy to say given the weather yesterday). The Mounties had a great run, and the marching band has done a good job. I haven’t seen the EO team this year, but both teams deserve congratulations.

4. POSTED BY James R. Matarazzo Jr.  |  December 03, 2007 @ 7:05 pm

West Essex seems to be the powerhouse of football in the area. I believe they are State Champs for the third time in four years.

5. POSTED BY Surrounded  |  December 03, 2007 @ 8:02 pm

Today’s Star-Ledger has BHS’s Women’s Tennis Coach, Ron Masson, named “Coach of the Year”. NICE season…15-6!

6. POSTED BY PAZ  |  December 03, 2007 @ 9:07 pm

“Let’s go EO..Oh lay Oh lay!”

7. POSTED BY BitPusher  |  December 03, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

Mountie David Tyree came up with a couple of big plays against the Bears yesterday.

8. POSTED BY BitPusher  |  December 03, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

9. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  December 04, 2007 @ 8:54 am

I’d like to personally thank the NJ Sports and Exposition Authority for hosting the game. They really went out of their way to make our afternoon really special. I took my young son (this was his first trip to the Meadowlands Sports Complex), and he couldn’t get over how awesome the whole place was–and so close to Montclair! From the moment we arrived, he was blown away by all the entertainment they had set up especially for the kids. For only five bucks, we got to take our car through this elaborate maze–just like those Halloween corn mazes he loves so much. They set up a series of access roads that took us around and around the stadium parking lot, through various construction areas and parking garages in-the-making, with lots of roads that actually led to nowhere. It was a real adventure. We’re definitely thinking of coming back again next Halloween. Then, once we got inside, he got to try his very first $4.50 cup of hot chocolate. He told me it was the best $4.50 cup of hot chocolate he ever tasted. It made him so happy, I had to see that look on his face again, so I bought him a $4.50 bottle of water. I can see now why security frisks everybody and doesn’t allow us to bring in our own food or drink. What they must be trying to do is encourage us to share these kinds of special moments with our kids. And thank goodness for that. I’m sure as long as we both live, we’ll never forget the moment we shared when he bit into his first $4.00 hot dog! But our absolute favorite moment of the afternoon came in the second half of the game, when the referee screwed up on a call and all the grown ups sitting in our section taught him some really cool new words he’s never heard before. Some of the parents even went out of their way to teach him one particular new word by chanting it over and over again really loudly. He can’t wait to try out some of those new words in school this week. He even tried one of those words out on me when we were leaving after the game. As we passed the construction site that will be the new Xanadu complex, I pointed out the structure that will someday be the new indoor ski slope. “Indoor skiing, dad? How totally moronic. You gotta be bull%*@#–ing me.”

10. POSTED BY State Street Pete  |  December 04, 2007 @ 9:21 am

Good to see that you’re living up to your moniker.

11. POSTED BY Cheese_with_your_wine?  |  December 04, 2007 @ 9:44 am

LMAO @ Complainerpuss..nice one dude.

12. POSTED BY Mike91  |  December 04, 2007 @ 9:46 am

I agree that those prices are outrageous for a high school game, but I know that during Giants games security allows you to bring in your own food, as long as its in transparent bags (no coolers or backpacks, obviously). Maybe you should be complaining about your own lack of foresight?
    The parking situation is pretty bad, but I don’t know if you are aware but they are building a massive building next to another massive building.
    The ski slope is kinda dumb. Of course, that’s not me on line some hot day in August.

13. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  December 04, 2007 @ 9:54 am

They’re building a massive building next to another massive building. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe that’s why they wouldn’t let me bring in my thermos of hot chocolate.

14. POSTED BY gail  |  December 04, 2007 @ 10:39 am

Dear complainerpuss
    This sounds like YOUR first time at a sports stadium.Have you never had an $8.00 beer at Yankee Stadium or Shea? Never been to a Devil’s game?Were you expecting them to lower the prices for the high school tournament? How about a kind word to the Mounties and the MHS Band? These kids did a great job, and it was very exciting for them.
    Congratulations to the band, the team, the cheerleaders, coaches and all involved in getting the Mounties to the finals!

15. POSTED BY BitPusher  |  December 04, 2007 @ 11:08 am

You can bring in food if you carry your sandwich and snacks in a clear plastic bag. If you don’t have a clear bag that is big enough, take everything out of your bag before reaching security and put the bag in your pocket. You can put the food back in the bag after you clear security. You can also bring a bottle of water, but you need to take the top off before reaching security (bottle caps are apparently considered weapons of mass destruction). Replace it after clearing security.

16. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  December 04, 2007 @ 11:25 am

They also wouldn’t let me bring in my laser pointer or my can of mace. I know I’m still complaining, but like Gail pointed out, I’ve never been to a sports stadium before, so this is all new to me. The whole experience was a bit disappointing. Security at the Jackals games at MSU always lets me bring in my mace. And while I’m at it, can I also complain about how I had to pay big league prices for a cup of cocoa, yet there was none of the usual big league Giants Stadium halftime entertainment:

17. POSTED BY gail  |  December 04, 2007 @ 11:33 am

cp
    Still waiting for you to congratulate Mounties, et al.

18. POSTED BY But Wait  |  December 04, 2007 @ 11:34 am

1) E.O. didn’t humiliate MHS. The refs humiliated themselves with their inadequacy and may have indeed been E.O.’s most valuable players of the game. MHS lost momentum due to those bad calls and two key injuries. MHS played hard but E.O. outplayed MHS. It’s as simple as that. Perhaps the E.O. band member is experiencing feelings of inadequacy after watching MHS’s great band and so is jumping on the proverbial football team’s bandwagon. Kudos to E.O. from a MHS fan. You played hard and played well. You also were watched by MHS friends and family when you visited previous MHS games and you all behaved like gentlemen. (No females on the team from what we could see.)
    2) Perhaps folks from MHS, B’net, W/C could have conveyed stadium rules to the public. Trying to get information regarding this game before it was played was like trying to negotiate a nuclear proliferation treaty.
    3) The two “big buildings” provide venues for events that many people enjoy. Where would you have the operators of the buildings put the parking places etc.? Vendors require a certain amount of income and have to charge a certain amount of money to make sufficient income. Can you not go two hours without eating if you find the prices too much? Just think about how expensive your kid’s seat in a Montclair public school is compared to the same seat in another town. If you don’t like the Meadowlands etc., don’t go there. It’s not rocket science. Given the epidemic of childhood obesity perhaps posters should be glad the food was too expensive to purchase and that there were several dozen kids out there on the field who endured not weeks, but months, of practice, weight lifting, disappointment when they didn’t get to play or win, exhaustion when they did get to play, exhaustion when they worked to keep their grades, community service and family obligations met as they did all of the above.
    I and my family very much enjoyed enjoyed watching these kids have a chance to play in Giant (sic) Stadium….perhaps even see it for the first or last time. Those players, who kept their cool even during some pretty serious trash talk from E.Orangers sitting on the Montclair side, kept their cool and behavior and didn’t get a hot dog! They didn’t get blankets, gloves and other things that might have warmed them up.
    And as for your child hearing the word bs for the first time…..I’m sure all that kid needs to do is turn on any television or radio or enter a music store to hear far worse than that. Kids will see and hear what their parents emphasize. My kids came home sad about the loss but happy to have seen a huge event and school spirit and friends and neighbors it’s been far too long since we made the time to see. They waved banners and wore Mountie blue. They got to see fan loyalty in the face of loss. In other words – they saw a lot more than it seems your kid did….who from your take only heard a bad word and focused on the snack stand.
    MHS is not perfect. Lord knows I’m the first to complain about the place.
    But these kids worked hard and long for something important to them and they did it on their own. They are the ones on the field day after day after day….and i reiterate – nobody bought them a hot dog.

19. POSTED BY gail  |  December 04, 2007 @ 11:41 am

Thanks, But Wait

20. POSTED BY Cheese_with_your_wine?  |  December 04, 2007 @ 2:15 pm

Geez, what got up But Waits butt?

21. POSTED BY walleroo  |  December 04, 2007 @ 3:21 pm

Perhaps somebody should climb in and see. After you, Cheese…
    I’m glad I wasn’t sitting next to you on the bleachers, complainerpuss. What a misery. Are you sure you’re not George Burns reincarnated? Your kid seems like a chip off the old black. Your post was pretty funny, though.

22. POSTED BY Mike91  |  December 04, 2007 @ 3:34 pm

That’s fairly obvious by the fact that you thought you could bring your thermos, which has been banned for several years now.

23. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  December 04, 2007 @ 4:21 pm

Must you rub it in, Mike91? Are you some sort of monster? Don’t you think I feel embarassed enough already by all the humiliation that’s been tossed my way regarding my lack of knowledge about the construction projects surrounding the stadium, or the meteoric rise in childhood obesity thanks to parents like me who don’t bother taking the time to pack a nutritious lunch in a clear bag before going to a “sports stadium.” Or my lack of knowledge about the Giants Stadium 6-year old thermos ban. I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!

24. POSTED BY walleroo  |  December 04, 2007 @ 4:32 pm

Who is this person complainerpuss? And where has he been all my life?

25. POSTED BY State Street Pete  |  December 04, 2007 @ 5:08 pm

humor so dry I need a drink

26. POSTED BY But Wait  |  December 05, 2007 @ 11:10 am

complainerpuss – It’s not all about you or your child’s belly. Get it? Did you by any chance watch the GAME? You know…the reason you went to what you seem to think is a dreadful place. Is it just more cool to sit around and be critical of everything and everyone? The game. The snow. The chance for kids to do something as a team……….