Nutley Goes on a Diet

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 10:28am  |  COMMENTS (34)

UPDATE: Since this thread has been hijacked by Daschle talk, we might as well mention it here: Daschle has withdrawn his nomination for head of HHS.

Congrats Nutley on your mayor’s official Weight Loss Challenge. Although it can’t be good for the town’s first Restaurant Week, which starts Feb. 15. Meanwhile, we can think of other towns that could stand to go on a diet. Maybe we should even organize a Baristanet diet challenge. Bloomfield, give me ten NOW! Montclair, stop sopping up the gravy with your dinner roll. Glen Ridge, white wine does have calories. Ok, which gym or personal trainer out there wants to organize it? Contact us and we’ll bring it on.

1. POSTED BY Iceman  |  February 03, 2009 @ 10:49 am

The Obama diet could be happening if he cuts out Daschle. The NY Times and 4 other major papers are demanding that Daschle resign.

2. POSTED BY Mrs. Martta  |  February 03, 2009 @ 10:53 am

Let’s start out by cutting some of the fat out of government.

3. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  February 03, 2009 @ 10:53 am

THE TIMES and 4 other papers are calling for him to step aside?
    What happened to the liberal media bias?
    Why, if this was a conservative Republican, I bet THE TIMES and 4 other papers would be calling for him to step aside!!!

4. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:10 am

The media bias allowed Tim Geithner to slide on in.
    However, with Daschle, they had to exercise their “journalistic integrity.”
    Or it could be that like the run-up to Iraq, “the media” is realizing that perhaps, just maybe, a little scrutiny is called for.
    Or maybe not.
    As for weight loss, we can’t keep getting folks to live healthy.
    We CANNOT afford it. We need overweight, unhealthy folks.
    Smokers too.
    They die early and don’t drain as much from the system.

5. POSTED BY Mrs. Martta  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:19 am

Well, that’s not entirely true, Prof. They cost employers money (they’re out sick a lot) and are indeed a drain on the health system. But I agree, it’s not something you can legislate.

6. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:22 am

I agree with Mrs. M. Let’s cut the fat out of govt by first cutting out the stimulus and the bank bailout. Let the economy tank. It’s going to do it anyway.

7. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:26 am

whats wrong with you two. Obviously if what got us here was reckless spending and too much debt, then the cure is more spending and more debt.

8. POSTED BY Mrs. Martta  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:28 am

The government is a drunken sailor that is in desperate need of an intervention.

9. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:29 am
  10. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:33 am

Now the performance czar is out over past unpaid taxes. Or put another way “bad past performance”.
    Anyone heard of vetting? It’s amateur hour down there.

11. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:37 am

But interesting how one guy doesn’t pay $34,000 and another doesn’t pay $128,000 and they’re ok. But a woman who didn’t pay $900 is out on her ass, pronto.

12. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:38 am

I’ll guess those red states south of the Mason Dixon line with those “all you can eat” buffets are a good place to start. Rush Limbaugh can be their poster boy.

13. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:41 am

The “media bias” allowed Geithner to slide in?
    That’s rich.
    It puzzles me why, if conservatives are so high on the American people in general, they think they are so easily swayed and manipulated by a media elite. This indicates to me at least a fundamental contempt for the intelligence and judgement of the American people, coupled of course with the monumental arrogance that accompanies THEIR OWN persipacity in being able to see past what those other idiots cannot.

14. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:46 am

Sure Cro, the GOP has to really believe that all Americans would only see the light if not for those media bastards. And I thought all along the media were Americans, too. My bad.

15. POSTED BY Iceman  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:46 am

Croig,
    I agree totally with you on this one. At least the Liberal media is showing journalistic integrity on this one. They aren’t totally swallowing the Obama Kool Aid. And of course, I’d be screaming just as loud if the choices had been made by a Rep President. Tax evasion and and tax cheating is not acceptable. Doesn’t matter the party affiliation.

16. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:47 am

well i don’t.
    I think the media is generally biased, but it usually works for the conservative cause. The “biaseder” the better I say.

17. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:53 am

I am frankly surprised that Geithner “slid in”. It is worth noting however that he did so with the support of 10 Republican senators.
    I think that cheating on your taxes should be a deal breaker, period. Mistakes are one thing, but this was not a mistake.
    Likewise with Daschle. He should spare the president any more grief and simply step aside.
    It is hard to believe that in this country of so many talented people, we can’t find other people to do these jobs — people who don’t carry this kind of baggage.

18. POSTED BY Right of Center‚Ñ¢  |  February 03, 2009 @ 11:56 am

here here, cro.

19. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

Perlstein,
    I enjoy the normal give and take here.
    But must you continue to lob your puny voice towards those folks who dare live in an evil Red State?
    Your characterization of those folks is– as usual- offensive.
    But I’m learning that that’s how you roll…….

20. POSTED BY cathar  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

I don’t think the, uh, “liberal media” is showing anything approaching, uh, journalistic integrity” on the Daschle matter. It’s just that they smell blood in the water. There never seems to be much real difference between the staffs of, say, the Inquirer and the NYTimes. Oh, they may have gone to different sorts of schools and profess very different politics, but to go from there to imagine other intrinsic moral separations is not warranted. Journalists, as someone once said, are always selling someone out. It’s part of the profession. Part of Daschle’s problem is that he imagined it wouldn’t happen to him, part of Obama’s is that (perhaps understandably given the kid glove treatment recently afforded himself) he thought it wouldn’t and couldn’t happen to any of his new nominees given his own current personal popularity.
    One wonders, too, what, if indeed anything, was Obama’s reaction when he asked such nominees if there were any issues which might slow the course of approval, and was told that yes, there just might be. From imagining such reactions from a Republican administration, after all, the partisan, crazed likes of laserdunderhead often spins his fantasies of war crimes and criminal indictments.

21. POSTED BY mattnutley  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

Uh wow, I thought the comments for this article would be about weight loss challenges, not some lame back-and-forth about “fat cats” and Obama.
    So, does anyone know what the actual prize of the Nutley contest is? The official town page doesn’t say.

22. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

Yeah, Prof, and I don’t like saggin pants and littering either, both of which I see on a daily basis here in Blue State NJ. Do I seem more balanced or nuanced now for your taste?

23. POSTED BY Spicoli  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

I think we should tax people based on their BMI.

24. POSTED BY cathar  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

And I sometimes think we should apply higher taxes to those weak in brain matter but exceptional in dumb vociferousness, Spicoli. (I of course thus imagine a motherlode of funding for social programs from a certain lasered Mr. Potato Head.)

25. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

Unfortunately, no, Perlstein,
    You are who you appear: someone who tosses not-so-veiled racist tags on folks, but is the first to scream when he things his peoples are attacked.

26. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:33 pm

Prof, knock it off, there is nothing inherently racist in buffets or saggin. They are both equal opportunity offenders.

27. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  February 03, 2009 @ 12:39 pm

Why can’t all the rich people just give their excess money to the rest of us?
    I could use about 20K to do my kitchen. Hey jerseygurl, can you help me out?

28. POSTED BY teller  |  February 03, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

And the beat goes on…..
    Your doin’ a heck of a job Rahmbo!

29. POSTED BY mandy939  |  February 03, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

The Montclair YMCA is already in the middle of the Biggest Loser challenge!

30. POSTED BY mandy939  |  February 03, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

The Montclair YMCA is already in the middle of the Biggest Loser challenge!

31. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 03, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

Perlstein,
    Nothing to knock off.
    It’s clear you use code phrases and terms about folks in a way that clearly shows your biases– usually in a joking manner, which I find even more offensive.
    (And then you cry foul when others say anything about a group you like….)
    It may hurt to read, but I find it to be true, which is why I continue to point it out……
    I’m sure you’re a nice guy, but making fun of people is making fun of people.

32. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

Prof, I don’t why you find me glaringly unique in this matter. Baristanet posters toss out barbs, insults and nasty humor on a regular basis and that’s fine with me. If this site got dull, I’d stop paying attention, and so would you.

33. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 03, 2009 @ 5:46 pm

We can agree there.
    However, as I’ve written before, there seems to be a double standard on who you can make fun of.
    And I do not think this site will be dull if you stop hurling veiled racist terms.
    Not at all.

34. POSTED BY J Perlstein  |  February 03, 2009 @ 6:38 pm

If every obese red state buffet attendee was exclusively black or exclusively white (and you and I know they’re not), and if every local slob who’s saggin while throwing junk food wrappers all over James Street was exclusively black or exclusively white (and you and I know they’re not), you might have a point, despite your self-righteousness, which seems to surface in between your own snide remarks here. But those noxious behaviors cross racial barriers, so as far as I am concerned, your cry of racism rings hollow.