4 Million Pounds of Lawn Pesticides in NJ?

BY  |  Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010 11:30am  |  COMMENTS (15)

Do you see these little lawn signs everywhere and tense at the casual use of what are known to be highly toxic chemicals?

According to community activist group, Safe Lawns Montclair, New Jersey puts four million pounds of lawn pesticides on its grounds per year — half of which are applied to residential properties?

The group hopes that this information will make you think twice before applying lawn fertilizers and weed killers to your property, and that you’ll come learn about safe lawn care alternatives at a free public workshop on October 27, at 7 p.m. at the Van Vleck Garden House in Montclair.

While Montclair is at the head of the pack in banning the use of synthetic lawn pesticides on public property — one of only 35 municipalities in the state to do so — residential lawn chemical use is still the norm and runs as rampant as — well, weeds — in Baristaville.

Last month, a bill was introduced that establishes new standards for lawn care products and limits the amount and type of nitrogen in fertilizer. Nutrients (like nitrogen and phosphorus) from fertilizer help weeds and algae grow excessively in water, sapping oxygen and killing off fish and other aquatic life. In a state dominated by suburban single-family houses, use of these products on lawns remains the largest source of chemical fertilizer runoff in New Jersey, according to an article in NorthJersey.com. Safe Lawns says that the U.S. Geological Survey has found evidence of pesticide contamination in every body of water tested throughout the state.

Want to join the green lawn movement? How about inviting the folks down the block with the immaculate (toxic) lawn to come with you?

Thursday, October 27th 2010; 7 to 8:30 pm

Van Vleck Garden House; 21 Van Vleck st., Montclair

Free; Space is limited, RSVP is required: Info@SafeLawnsMontclair.org

For more information, click here.

Photo courtesy of Greencolander

1. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  October 06, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Limiting the amount of nitrogen in fertilizer? Stupid. People will then just put on two bags instead of one. Like the regulated low water dishwashers everyone runs twice.

2. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  October 06, 2010 @ 11:45 am

ROC, you must know lots of people who cook with too much grease and then let their plates coagulate before they push the button.

We just got a new dishwasher, energy star, and does a fine job, even if the utensil basket is badly designed.

3. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  October 06, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Good point Spiro. You can’t let a half empty sit till morning. Or the low water dishwasher won’t clean them well. Better to run it half full (oh so much better in Spiro’s mind no doubt than running a full dishwasher twice!) Of course the other thing you can do with the water saving dishwashers is to clean and rinse the dishes in the sink before you put them in the water saving dishwasher.

4. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  October 06, 2010 @ 11:56 am

Stay off my property please. 4 million pounds spread out over 8,730 square milesis nothing.

5. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  October 06, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Our lawn and garden are chemical- and pesticide-free and we get lots of compliments on them. Are they totally weed-free? Heck no. I pull out most of the weeds by hand or tool but never get them all–and don’t care. The butterflies, birds, and bees don’t seem to mind, either. We have two compost piles in the back that we use to enrich our garden.

6. POSTED BY cmaynard  |  October 06, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

It always amazes me that people will bend over backwards to avoid giving their kids pesticide-treated food and then will spray pesticides all over their lawns. We use organic fertilizer that we order from Gardens Alive; works just fine and our lawn looks good.

7. POSTED BY Montclair Lover  |  October 06, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

I hope that José from Green Harmony Now is presenting–he’s the go-to guy, in Montclair, for all this stuff.

8. POSTED BY Conan  |  October 06, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

I just put the signs out on my lawn to keep the little kiddies on their way to Brookdale school on the sidewalk and off our grass. I also notice the dog walkers give us a wide-berth with all those skulls and crossbones flags… :)>

9. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  October 06, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Great idea, Conan. Does this also work for aluminum siding salesman and reval workers?

10. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  October 06, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

I just spoke with one of my workers and he confirmed that like all the watering for no reason, he continues to follow my rule of no chemicals (and really, no nothing) on the grounds of my Palatial Estate in UPPER Montclair.

I do mow, and from the seat of my riding mower (oddly enough, the only true statement here), I enjoy knowing that this grass, along with the house has been here for well over 100 years and has survived just fine— without the chemicals.

(As for dishwashers, my pet peeve is when I’m at someone’s house and they essentially wash the dishes before they load the dishwasher- leaving the hot water running the whole time. As Consumer’s Report showed, every modern dishwasher can get off day old tomato sauce, ketchup and everything else. No need to “pre” wash. But it needs a sufficient amount of water, so I wouldn’t even consider a “low” water dishwasher.)

11. POSTED BY Conan  |  October 06, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, we just had a serious problem with our dishwasher. Actually, our dishwasher had a serious problem with the US Immigration Department, and last we heard, travel arrangements were being made. So if you know of any dishies with time on their hands, the pay is poor but the food is excellent.

12. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  October 06, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

How bout lime (or is it lyme) on grass? Is that considered a pesticide no-no? My dad used to put it on the lawn every summer and we weren’t allowed to walk on it. How else to get the ph balanced if not with lime?

13. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  October 06, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

And wait a minute…if herb used a herbicide–how’s he still commenting?

14. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  October 06, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

Herb, I’ll stay off your property, no problem.

However, if your pesticides leak into my drinking water, you can no longer pretend that what you do in your yard affects you alone.

15. POSTED BY DagT  |  October 06, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

I don’t care what you say if I don’t rinse my oatmeal pot and bowl they don’t get clean in the new dishwasher.

My clothes however seem to have adjusted to the new washing machine which chooses it’s water level based on the clothes I put in it. Just a wonder!

As for my lawn I won’t put chemicals on my dirt which is what most of it is since I didn’t water this summer.