Could You Handle a Defcon Death Match?

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 1:30pm  |  COMMENTS (10)

Torrential rain couldn’t dampen the heat emanating from Bunny’s in South Orange on Sunday evening.  The sports bar was the scene of a legendary “Defcon Death-Match,” a wing-eating contest that separates the men from the boys (or the women from the girls, as the lone female contestant proved).

The rules: contestants have four minutes to consume 10 wings doused in a specially-brewed, incendiary hot sauce made by locally-grown and internationally renowned Defcon Sauces.  Those that manage that must then sit – palms down on the table – for five minutes without consuming any beverages.

Winner Brian Bauman of South Orange took home a trophy, a Defcon T-shirt and bragging rights.  Said John Dilley, Defcon founder and owner, “I enjoy other people’s pain.  It makes me sleep better at night!”

Want to see grown men and women cry?  Check out the video above.

1. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  March 07, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Some people will do anything for a free lunch! :-) Seriously, wish I had known about this because I LOVE hot wings but I almost never eat them ebcause they’re not the Breakfast of Champions. Still, I would have entered and given it my best try.

2. POSTED BY walleroo  |  March 07, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

How does one dampen heat? Is that like throwing water on a fire?

I also feel sorry for that female contestant who was separated into women and girls. That must have hurt.

3. POSTED BY Stacey  |  March 07, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

That’s some harsh stuff, but very funny.

4. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  March 07, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

“Reversals” and “evacuations” sounds like a my kinda party… geez!

5. POSTED BY cmaynard  |  March 07, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Yes, it did not look like too much fun to me – but I guess I don’t get the whole endorphin rush thing of eating foods that set your insides afire.

6. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  March 07, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Seriously, this video made me hungry for Defcon Wings!

7. POSTED BY MellonBrush2  |  March 07, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

The best way to reduce the burning from hot peppers is to eat crackers, bread, tortilla chips, etc..

One of my college dorm-mates drank a large shot glass full of Tabasco sauce for $100, offered by a Korean student, who seemed to have a wallet full of those suckers – word had it that his father was a wealthy industrialist or something. Anyway, the dorm room was packed with guys who wanted to witness the spectacle and when the kid polished off the Tabasco and asked if someone could get him some ice cream about 10 guys nearly trampled each other to be the first one out of the room. I stuck around to see if the Korean kid would pony up or welch. He ponied up. I think this was the first time I had ever seen a 100 dollar bill.

8. POSTED BY walleroo  |  March 08, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Funny story, Mellon. Aren’t all Korean college students the sons of rich industrialists?

In college we used to go out for barbequed chicken, served on paper plates with macaroni and with an orange-tinged sauce that glowed in the dark. You had your choice of hot, super-hot or super-f*cking hot. Of course it wasn’t manly to order anything less than the absolute hottest. There were two places that served this fare that I knew of, both in the worst parts of town, which made the experience authentic.

9. POSTED BY walleroo  |  March 08, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Where, oh where, is my avatar? Without it, I’m just another empty coffee cup.

Jenn, why have you forsaken me?

10. POSTED BY sasesp  |  April 06, 2011 @ 3:52 pm