Let me begin with full disclosure….. Earth day or not, I am no tree hugging, vegan, weave me the sunshine kinda gal. I did however play with the Sunshine Family when I was a girl. With that said, I don’t think you need to be that kind of person to fully appreciate a store like Go Lightly in Montclair. Whenever I leave the store I always feel like I have learned something and I am ready to go home and try something new. This store makes me live better and I love that!
Here are some of Jen Chalky’s (the very fun and knowledgeable owner of Go Lightly) tips for greener living and the skinny on her new dairy free Vegan Ice Cream Counter:
Waste and Plastic Free Mealtime
- Use BPA free stainless steel lunch boxes, kid’s tableware and 100% cotton washable napkins. The items pictured above are available from a Montclair mother’s company Yellow Margosa and also available from Go Lightly. I love how durable and how nice these products look. They really beat the tattered multi-colored plates I was using
For General Household Cleaners:
You can use white vinegar to clean almost anything. It kills 89% of germs, bacteria and viruses and is safe enough for even the youngest child to use so kids can help around the house.
- Mix equal parts vinegar and water
- Add about 15 drops of essential oils to a 32 oz spray bottle for a custom-made scent and for extra germ-fighting power.
- Jen’s favorite oils are tea tree, lavender, cinnamon and mixing scents like grapefruit and bergamot.
- I personally love geranium.
For Wood Floors and Cabinets
- Add 1/2 cup olive oil to a 16 oz. solution of vinegar and water to clean wood floors and cabinets.
- Liquid castile soap is great for spot cleaning. It is very concentrated so just a drop can be used, or it can be diluted 1:3 parts with water.
This is one of the fantastic products available at Go Lightly. It even has a manual juicer to add lemon juice. I think this would make a fun funky hostess gift or even a fun gift for the earth minded child or tween.
Go Lightly’s Vegan Ice Cream is:
- Hemp, coconut, soy, almond, or cashew-milk based
- Sweetened with agave nectar
- Made without processed ingredients in small batches from scratch
- Safe for those with lactose intolerance
- Available in gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free flavors
- Good for you, the animals, and the planet. I tried the Blueberry Hemp and it was rather yummy!
Questions? Just Ask Holly in comments.