Hookah Heaven in Montclair

BY  |  Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 9:00am  |  COMMENTS (69)

Keeping with the growing trend of smoking tobacco through a hookah, Montclair is now home to a new shop that offers a large, varied and colorful selection of traditional Middle Eastern water pipes.

Opened just a few weeks, the window display of AI Bazar (580 Bloomfield Avenue) is eye-catching, whether you’re a smoker or not. Owner Hasan Karriti, who came to the United States 30 years ago from Palestine, considers the establishment a grocery/convenience store, but clearly the hookah collection is the primary attraction.

Ranging in price from $15 – $200, depending on the size, shape and design of the piece, Karriti says that while some customers buy the hookahs for decorations, it’s mostly about the smoking. Al Bazar offers a selection of tobaccos, which Karriti says is often mixed with fruit, molasses and herbs to add flavor.

“The Middle East is in the news every day,” he said, as a way of explaining the attraction to the ancient social smoking tradition amongst American college students and young working professionals. “Young people like to try new things.”

The single or multi-stemmed pipes have become the focus of parties or small get-togethers at colleges and in hookah bars across the country over the past 4 or 5 years. Even in the wake of no-smoking laws, Hookah bars have sprung up to offer a social smoking experience, as has been done for millenia in the Middle East and Asia. The now defunct Diva Lounge was an early hookah establishment in Baristaville, and according to their website, the Montclair restaurant Mediterranea currently boasts a lounge for those over 19 years old to smoke the “hubbly bubbly.” In February, NJ.com reported about the growing number of hookah bars in Central Jersey, particularly around New Brunswick.

While proponents say that hookah tobacco is safer than commercial cigarettes, due to lower tar and nicotine levels and the water filtration, there’s no shortage of scientific study saying otherwise. The consensus among medical professionals continues to be that no method of smoking tobacco is safe, and that in the end, smoking Hookah is as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.

“I used to smoke when I was young, but now I don’t,” said Karriti.

1. POSTED BY NNN9495  |  April 13, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Smoking killed both of my parents and my friend’s husband recently had a mass removed from his throat and is still battling cancer because they couldn’t get it all out. Every day I tell my children how smoking kills, and to see this story on Baristanet makes me ill. I don’t care if it’s filtered through bubbly water pipes, it’s just a glorified bong and it’s not news fit to print, JMHO.

2. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Great article. Thanks for putting it up.

3. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Just so I’m clear on this – we want to ban soda, cake, cookies, turn every restaurant and school cafeteria in town into a meat-free, “healthy” eating place and ban the Happy Meal. But smoking a hookah and opening “medical” pot stores – let’s green light and celebrate those bastions of health. Got it.

4. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Oh and even better – over on Barista Kids there is a “Peanut Free Eating Guide” article. Forgot about how we should de-nut Montclair also.

5. POSTED BY thirtyseconds  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Lighten up, montclairdad. Don’t you know that stress kills, too.

6. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:16 am

What the heck is a hookah?

7. POSTED BY deadeye  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:18 am

I have no problems with legalizing marijuana, but lets not pretend for a minute that these hookahs are intended for smoking tobacco.

8. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:19 am

De-nut Montclair? Oh no! There won’t be anyone left!

Nellie: Didn’t you ever hear of the “hookah-smoking caterpillar” from “Alice in Wonderland” and later referenced in “Go Ask Alice?”

9. POSTED BY lucylou  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:32 am

“Hooka Tooka my soda cracker
    Does your momma chaw tobacca
    If ya momma chawt obacca,say
    Hooka Tooka my soda cracker
    Chubby Checker

10. POSTED BY oliver  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Great, so now we have another head shop on Blfd. Ave. I guess it’s good that the Inner Eye has competition.

11. POSTED BY dane  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Really, Erika? Really? Would you be so enthused if your kid was one of those smoking tobacco through one of these?

12. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:46 am

While I deplore smoking and would much rather see a See’s Chocolate shop at this location, it’s all on the up and up and you have to be of legal smoking age to purchase tobacco, so I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s a business, it adds revenue to the town, it’s one less empty storefront.

13. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:50 am

@thirtyseconds

No stress, just trying to make sense of it all. Sometimes the lines between good and bad are laughably absurd in our town.

14. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:51 am

montclairdad,

Did you read the Peanut-free Guide story? I never said I wanted to de-nut Montclair. I offered a guide for parents who have children with peanut allergies.

In fact I say, “Part of living with a food allergy is to learn how to work through disappointment, and although I’m upset that they decided to add PB to the menu, we can’t expect others to cater to the small percentage of people with allergies.”

15. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Actually, deadeye, hookahs are used throughout the Arab world for smoking cubes of tobacco, not weed. I’ve seen this first hand in East Jerusalem.

Next up on Fox News:

“Is a Palestinian hookah vendor in New Jersey town that voted 85% for Obama a sneaky front for terrorists in the back room? Are you and your kids safe?
    But first a word from our sponsor, the American Petroleum Institute”

16. POSTED BY oliver  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Well, they’re used here,at least by teens, for smoking weed.

17. POSTED BY getaclue  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Kids will find anyway to smoke weed, hookah or not. (incidentally, I can put up links to youtube to make your own bong out of a plastic soda container if your kids are interested). But these hookas ARE for tobacco, not efficient for smoking weed, two totally different types of water pipes. If you aren’t interested, don’t shop there and go protest the cigar shop down the street.

18. POSTED BY DagT  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:15 am

MM the caterpillar was my first image when I read this.

19. POSTED BY stopcomplaining  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Getaclue is right these do not work for smoking weed.

20. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Georgette, anyone who has sound reading comprehension (or has no desire to feel unfounded outrage) understood that you were not suggesting that peanuts are bad and we should de-nut Montclair.

There was some hookah bar on the Lower East Side I went to a few times when I lived in NYC. I’ve never been a big tobacco fan so I got bored quickly with it but some loved all the flavored tobacco. I do think these can be used to smoke weed although if you do a 30 sec Google search, you’ll discover that many think it burns the weed too quickly. If I was a kid interested in smoking weed, I would go the cheap route and try a coke can or a pipe but hey, I’m not advocating anything here.

On a side note, the marijuana forums are pretty funny. I discovered this not too long ago when I did a search on how to make true-breeding plants like Gregor Mendel did with his peas. Seems that there are a lot of people trying to make true-breeding marijuana plants. Maybe I should use marijuana for my Punnett Squares instead of pea plants next year. Ha ha, j/k.

21. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:41 am

“Hey, there is new cool looking middle eastern store on Bloomfield Ave. Let’s go in and interview the owner and publicize his products as all the rage among the youth and yuppie parents here in suburbia and
    Lets show him that here in Baristaville we embrace everyone and want him to know how great his culture is, regardless of the thousands of people that die from smoking yearly.”

Here we have a store owner that is selling a product linked to heart disease, death and billions of dollars in medical costs but because its ‘middle eastern’ culture and few knuckleheads are snookered into it, then we are supposed to open our minds and embrace it, it seems. If it were some guy named Joe selling cigs and rolling papers in the same spot , I think this story might have a different take. He proudly admits he targets ‘young people’ and it doesn’t seem like the author was alarmed by this. Hey, this is a (decreasingly) free country and he can open up any store he wants but I don’t see much of a market for hookah and its products. I’m sure people will be able to purchase good ol’cigs and magazines there soon. If the craze gets any bigger then big box hookah stores like Hookahs’R-Us and Hookah Depot might put him out of business. So the next time here Baristaville you go to a party and throw your keys in the bowl, break out the hookah and let the good times roll.

22. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Tudlow, If it was Le Souk, I’ve been there.

23. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:44 am

@dane, who said I was advocating smoking? Just reporting on the opening of the store and the spreading of the fad, like hookah fire. I’m an ardent non-smoker and did include the info about smoke being bad for the health. We all know that, right? I’d be quite unhappy if my college-aged kids were smokers, but thankfully they haven’t taken it up, far as I know.

24. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Herb: So I assume you take issue with stores that sell cheeseburgers, French fries, ice cream, and candy, too?

25. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Herb also avoids all those stores that sell cigarettes, lotto tickets and tatoo/biker magazines.

26. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Herb, in fairness to Baristanet, they have also featured the openings of other establishments that sell products linked to heart disease, cancer and death and billions of dollars in medical costs that are all American – like Smashburger and Five Guys. Are you a little touchy today?

27. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 11:59 am

@ Martta- Do I need Felix Unger to point out what happens when you assume? Eat away, pour all the salt on it you want. I am a non-smoker that has no problem when smokers light up(outside). By simply pointing out the risks of smoking doesn’t mean I’m a person that restricts peoples behavior. No where in my post did I indicate that.

28. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

@ Jerseygurl….I might be…..lunch is here !! So I might be in a better mood after I eat my mushroom barley soup.

29. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Enjoy your soup. I’m off to eat my seared tuna salad from the Grey Dog’s Cafe. I hope it’s not from Japan.

30. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Mrs. M, I guess I need to get more into Alice in Wonderland.

31. POSTED BY khan  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Ironically, The Inner Eye was a mainstay in Montclair before the real estate boom changed everything. it was btween the abortion clinic asnd the old Diva Lounge. They had plenty of pipes to smoke “tobacco” from. You couldn’t walk into the store, youhad to get buzzed in. Anybody grow up in Mtc or surrounding area and remember the eye?

32. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Of course, Khan! Are they still there? It’s amazing–and ironic–that they lasted as long as they did while other merchants have come and gone. I mean, with the rents in Montclair, they would have had to sell a lot of bongs and pipes to stay solvent. They did sell cool posters, too.

33. POSTED BY stopcomplaining  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

The inner eye is still in full force it has just moved to a new spot on the Ave.

34. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

…or, Nellie, if the book doesn’t do the trick, try a trip to the Middle East.

But don’t ask the hookah smokers if they got their clothing at Haband.

35. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

A restaurant I go to now and then in Paterson will bring out a hookah for patrons to smoke, right there in the restaurant, after dinner. The tobacco has a lovely sweet smell, not at all intrusive (though I’ve never seen the restaurant crowded). The proprietor has never offered me a hookah, mind you. Perhaps I look like a narc.

36. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 13, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

AAh, Haband…Now you’re speaking my language, Spiro.

37. POSTED BY hrhppg  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

My count is at least 88 restaurants in town that aren’t all steam veggies and brown rice. In fact I’ve seen more then a fair share of large people ordering items that would make their doctors slap them. So in Montclair we clearly don’t have a can’t-sell-it if-it’s-bad-for-you-situation.

I remember the eye Khan. I was upset when I saw it was gone but excited that it only moved. Where else can you buy dancing bears ? Also to answer any questions of if we are a college town, with The Eye and a Hookah store we are so a college town.

38. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Baristanet in general, and Erika Bleiberg right here, seems to act if they’ve just discovered the wheel with one of its often feeble, unnecessary posts. And this one, as some others basically noted above, is especially unnnecessary and feeble.

I also doubt very much that “young professionals”are hitting their hookahs.

Erika, I particularly wonder why you post as if that someone selling hookahs is a cultural marvel. Have you ever walked along Main in Paterson? There, literally every third store seems to sell hookahs. (Along sometimes with Korans, copies of the “Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion,” inflammatory jihadist videos and much else which reminds of the Mideast for better or worse, right down to pomegranate molasses.)

39. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

And Erika, 30 years ago Hassan Karriti did not come to the US “from Palestine,” but, rather from the democratic state of Israel. Do you in fact have an old map lying around which indicates the existence of “Palestine?” Not to put too fine a political point on it, but still…

40. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Smoking is good for you. Don’t worry, be happy. A little breath of fire now and then will help you achieve your destiny.

41. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Not to put too fine a point on it
    Say I’m the only bee in your bonnet

42. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

@Cathar, re:Palestine/Israel, again, I’m just reporting what Karriti told me. You can argue the border conflict with someone else. I’m just a peace loving, Zionist Jew who prefers to recognize that there may be the need for a two state solution. So if Karriti says he’s from Palestine, I’m not gonna get all technical with him. Oh, and btw, last I looked, Montclair and Patterson are two very different places and Bloomfield Avenue isn’t lined with shops that sell middle eastern objects — smoking or otherwise.

43. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 13, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Hookah in Wonderland (With the current Council, Montclair feels like Wonderland).

44. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

@Erika

Neither was Paterson a few years back.

45. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  April 13, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Obama on tv talking now..here comes a tax hike ~!!!…What a buffoon.

46. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  April 13, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

I think it would be funny if someone staying at the new hotel in town asked the concierge for a “hookah” and they brought him a water pipe.

47. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 13, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

The Hookah Hotel…That will stir up business in downtown Montclair.

48. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 13, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Erika, while I know better than to expect a whole lot of regard for journalistic accuracy on this site, really, you couldn’t have at least used quote marks around “Palestine?” And if other people you interviewed told you they were from, say, the sovereign states of Freedonia or Burgundy, (or even from the Altair-4 galaxy) would you buy that? You sound more than a little ingenuous on this one, whatever the level of your own claimed “Zionism.”

And no, Montclair is not Paterson, but it’s also not terribly far, now is it? And it’s even closer to Clifton, where hookah merchants also abound. Your post was a total non-starter for several reasons, even if you don’t like admitting it.

49. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

cathar, just a drive or walk around the numerous and beautiful old stone homes built by Arabs within (that’s right, within) the 1967 Green Line, take your pick of locale – West Jerusalem, Acre, Haifa, Jaffa, anywhere in the Galillee – and your eyes will immediately tell you that the Arab presence was strong throughout all of Palestine prior to 1948, and not just in the West Bank or Gaza.
    We all know that the Partition of Palestine (yes, Palestine) was a real event in 1947, and that the Arabs rejected it, and have tried to undo it time and again. Nonetheless, the two state solution is the only way to go. Both sides know it, and have known it for years. The fact that both sides put on a public face denying this fact is just a blustery show, backed up by delusional dreams.
    Oh, and here’s one of those maps you requested to see. This one is from 1937, I believe.

50. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  April 13, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

@Georgette

I’m sorry Georgette, I didn’t mean for that to come across as an attack on you. My apologies.

51. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 13, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

In your mistakenly gallant rush to defend some pretty boobish reporting today, Spiro T., you forget one simple point: 30 years ago, when the proprietor of that hookah shop (which to me looks like a mere independently owned convenience store, Paterson is full of them), there was no “Palestine.” Just because you tell an intrepid citizen journalist something does not make it rrue.

Similarly, you post here. Such a deadening eventuality does not perforce make you, Spiro T., either witty or accurate yourself. Carry on, regardless. I’m sure there’s nothing I can say which will ameliorate such continual futility on your part.

And Spiro T. the “Christian presence” was well present in Jersualem several hubdreds o years well before the Arab-Islamic version, and so before that was the Romano-pagan presence, and before that the Jewish presence. So what on earth are you raving about here and to such little effect? Try not, however, to let any oldish maps you may have lying around crumble into the carpet, there’s a good lad.

52. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Standard cathar condescending spittle, on display once again.

53. POSTED BY DagT  |  April 13, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

@ cathar my own historical reference of Palestine comes from the good sisters of my youth. I don’t think they ever used quotation marks and they sure wielded a heavy red pencil.

54. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  April 13, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Apology accepted montclairdad. :)

55. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 13, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

De-nut Montclair? Oh no! There won’t be anyone left!

Ha! Certainly there’d be no one left to post on Baristanet. No. One.

56. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

DagT, it’s just a fatuous propaganda ploy to pretend there never was a “Palestine”. And it’s utterly and completely besides the point.
    Jews want all of it (even those living in Passaic Park) , and so do Arabs (even those living nearby in Paterson).
    So, the Jews call it Israel, the Arabs call it Palestine, and the nuns of your youth (plus a handful of cable tv specials) call it The Holy Land.
    Everyone wants to edit all the others out of the picture.
    Having visited the place more than once, and having lived there for an entire summer in my youth, I honestly wonder what the fuss is all about.

57. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Hey yalls! Recently read an article on the internet abt hookahs. Hasan Karitti, this local Arab dude. So many peeps care about hookahs. Can n e 1 get one? R they against the law? Do they smoke them in Palestine? Or is it the Holy Lands? Got super confused, like i might get into trbl sayng the “wrong” thing. It might be too “illicit”. Kinda feel smoking one of these may be “down market” or “scary.” N e ways, been feeling a nicotine itch lately. Want to get some of that bzz and “think” abt “life”. Thinking that toking “smoke” might fit my new personal brand.

Do u “get” what the hookah is abt?
    Should I smoke sweet dank and “arab out”?
    Is pot a part of yur “identity”?
    Will Jews and Arabs ever hip-hop tgthr?
    Is hrobrah on vacation, and if so, which h*llhole does he haunt?

58. POSTED BY DagT  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

You are good walleroo, really, really good!!

59. POSTED BY DagT  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Spiro the fuss is all about god, power and land

60. POSTED BY silentnomore  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

But its a convenience store with hookahs in the window. I’m sure that will draw in the out of town visitors. I’m all for not having empty stores but I’d hope we could do better.

61. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

You can have a hookah or a bookah, depending on which part of the Ave you at.

62. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

If I didn’t know that cathar detests it when posters “demean the intelligence” of others, and assume an air of superiority whilst doing so, I’d think he was doing just those things on this thread. But that cannot be, because he has tsked-tsked that propensity with regard to others.

In any event, maps and the like are drawn by the winners. Because the UN called the place Israel does not make it so in the minds of those Arabs who still see it as it was. I come from a place which is called by some the Six Counties, by others Northern Ireland, and by others still Ulster. Which term one uses gives a pretty good indication of where that person stands vis a vis the whole “arrangement”. To go on so ignorantly about its being Israel because that’s what the map said 30 years ago is ridiculous, and again gives a very good indication of the underlying prejudice which is, I think, in plain view.

63. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Sure thing, DagT. I agree.
    WIth the exception of sheer power ( which I think is the main motivator over there in the Levant — many dress it up as they will, on all sides) there’s the simple fact that national boundaries shift all the time, all over the world, and, it is worth adding, those who pretend to understand God or carry on nationalist policies in God’s name are, well, full of manure, and usually share with Stalin the unfortunate reputation of having blood on their hands.
    But I do appreciate the addition ( for a price) of hookahs to the Baristaville tobacco culture and streetscape (even though I haven’t smoked a thing in over 30 years) – I’m getting tired of looking at Maverick cigarette posters over at QuikChek, wondering if McCain and Palin once shared a drag behind the dumpster.

64. POSTED BY deadeye  |  April 13, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Spiro, I’ve seen them used in Egypt for smoking tobacco, with or without additives.

Getaclue, I once owned one of these devices and while they may lack efficiency with today’s stronger strains, I assure you they are perfectly serviceable for smoking weed, and lots of it.

65. POSTED BY zephyrus  |  April 13, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

Yowzers! I’ve not seen this much outrage since the Fume cigar shop opened!
    A great shop by the way!

66. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  April 13, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Hookahs are great looking objects, all curvy in the picture and brightly colored — and I’m with Mrs. Martta — if it’s a viable store, let it be.

That said, it does create a rather large storage problem when cousin Caroline shows up with her two pre-adolescent children who should probably not be encouraged to explore the world of hookahs by their adult auntie.

If it’s tobacco one seeks, cigarettes are a far more efficient delivery system of nicotine, without a lot of preparation. If it’s a doobie, Easy Widers and a good kitchen strainer are all you need. If either make you cough, then you should probably stick to the yet-to-be-named cherry cocktail.

67. POSTED BY johnny5  |  April 14, 2011 @ 9:59 am

We should all protest every store in Montclair that offers a product deemed unhealthy or dangerous by us. I think I saw some chocolate on sale at Whole Foods, let’s shut ‘er down people! And what about those two liquor licenses floating around? Heavens to Betsy!

I’m sure the youngest people this store owner is targeting are 19 year olds, since last I checked that’s the legal smoking age in NJ. Plus the fact that the article quotes him as saying he’s targeting COLLEGE KIDS AND YOUNG PROFESSIONALS, not 11 and 12 year olds.

68. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 14, 2011 @ 10:13 am

The Chocolate Path is leaving Walnut St. in June…Bummer…I love that store. They will now do only an on-line business…I guess all the anti-chocolate protesting got to them…

I think a Haband outlet is moving into the spot…

69. POSTED BY Martta Rose  |  April 14, 2011 @ 10:22 am