Baristanet Helps Launch “Authentically Local” Campaign

BY  |  Monday, May 16, 2011 11:30am  |  COMMENTS (132)

Last July, we launched a feature called “My Favorite Place,” in which we celebrate the local places that fill our hearts and make Baristaville special. Last week, we helped spearhead a campaign called “Authentically Local” — which aims to preserve what is special in every community by celebrating, and supporting, those businesses and institutions that are home grown, not planted there by a large corporation. You can read our organization’s philosophy statement (which I wrote) here. Support our campaign by liking our Facebook page here.

Joining us in this campaign are 34 other hyperlocal news site, including our sister site Barista Kids, and in New Jersey, MyVeronaNJ, RedBankGreen and Hoboken411.

Our slogan is “Local Doesn’t Scale.”

That is the opposite of the philosophy of a news organization you may have noticed called Patch, which publishes in six of the seven towns we publish in (not Glen Ridge), and is scaling up to publish in 1,000 towns nationally. Even though Patch is owned by AOL, and is the cornerstone of AOL’s own rebranding campaign, Patch leaves out its AOL affiliation on all of its branding and “about” pages.

But AOL is not the only big corporation trying to cash in on the $100 billion local advertising market that has recently emerged as the 2011 equivalent of the California Gold Rush. Corporations like Google, Apple, Groupon and Living Social are also making plays for it. In addition, hundreds of mobile apps are sprouting up to scrape data off the web and deliver it to cellphones, calling themselves local. But as you can see in this example from one called Goby, the data is not very reliable. Of the six “Entertainment and Nightlife” spots Goby delivered to me on my front porch recent, two were geocoded wrong (the Famished Frog is in Morristown, not Montclair, and Bombay Bistro is in Montclair, CA not NJ), two were defunct (Red Cheetah and Diva) and one, Westminster, while a local theater venue is not correctly classified under nightlife. Only one of the six, Egan and Sons, really fit the criteria.

The Authentically Local campaign seeks to illuminate the difference between authentic local businesses — businesses that speak to what’s local rather than conform to a cookie-cutter mold.

Although local media sites like ours are the initial founders of the campaign, we intend to include bricks-and-mortar places as well — and invite them to join us in the movement to preserve what is authentically local.

1. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 11:41 am

the prof doesn’t “Scale” either!!!

But, forgive me, the idea of all these “local” folks banding together as one seems, well, like the antithesis of the idea that a monolith is bad.

“… aims to preserve what is special in every community by celebrating…”

This kinda reminds me of the women on Seinfeld who screamed to all the NY Marathoners, “YOU’RE ALL WINNERS!”

But I support local businesses that are not rude (as a few around here are), AND big corporations that hire nice LOCAL employees- some Starbucks, Whole Foods, etc. hire very nice and LOCAL employees.

So, the prof goes where he is treated nicely. That may be local, or it may be a The Gap.

So, I guess, I DO scale….

2. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  May 16, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

I forsee a call from Deb asking for photos of these places. Recharging phone now. :D

3. POSTED BY spectator  |  May 16, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

We have already been scaled up Prof. This site which began as local Montclair and vicinity now covers several other distant communities which are of almost zero interest to me.

4. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 16, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Do I sense a bit of defensiveness here?

It took the Baristas a while to respond to the challenge of Patch. (Though I seriously doubt that most folks don’t know about its connection to AOL.) But I don’t think, unlike that NY Times venture which covered South Orange and Maplewood, that Patch is going to simply fold up and die just because its very existence so unnerves the Baristas.

Also, does Melody Kettle still write for this site? Because I noticed last week that she was also on Patch.

My suggestion, besides the emphasis on localization, would be for this site to improve both the writing and the copy editing (is there even any?), and think more carefully about should actually be covered here. I’ve always said this, admittedly, and my core feeling is that Montclair’s version of Patch simply isn’t very good. Whereas Baristanet used to be pretty darn good, however pallid it now seems.

5. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I read the “authentically local” site. It’s a rather desperate attempt, in my opinion, to create some kind of false “credential” to keep Patch at bay. The people who write for Patch live here, shop here, buy homes here and have kids in school here, just like the Bnet crew. The idea that they’re not as “local” is nonsense.

6. POSTED BY caphilly  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

There’s room for both, with each having their own points of view, writing style, stories covered, etc. I would agree that the stories from Patch are bland and rarely as interesting as Baristanet.

The one suggestion I would have for Baristanet is to give us the option to receive you via email, like Patch does.

Didn’t know Patch was part of AOL.

7. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Montclair Patch appears to have Montclair editor and reporters contributing to it. On the other hand the Bloomfield Patch editor does not appear to reside in Bloomfield and when she writes an article takes the press release written by the town and regurgitates it – no checking of facts or looking for the other side.

And now a lot of the reporting says “according to a report from Bloomfield Life.” and gives a link to the BLoomfield Life’s website. It;s a strange way to run a local blog

8. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Whenever something has to call attention to its “authenticity” it gives off alarm bells of being lame.

9. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

“Bloomfield Patch editor does not appear to reside”

huh?

10. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Yes I’ve seen it and initially it said that she resided elsewhere. She knows so little about Bloomfield that I question that she lives here. I will ask her face to face tonight if she is at Bloomfield’s town council meeting.

11. POSTED BY mattomega  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Doesn’t BaristaNet have an ad rep to deal with market competition? No one source of revenue “belongs” to anyone. Moreover, there are profound differences between Amazon and Home Despot and Patch and McDonald’s. Amazon, big box stores, etc., pull revenue away from towns as well as physically locating themselves outside of a downtown. Lambasting chains that employ locals and situate themselves in a downtown doesn’t make sense to me. The owner and employees at a local Dunkin’ Donuts, Subway, Saladworks, CVS, Rite Aid, and so on, drive revenue and traffic to a downtown.

It’s just sad that “Authentically Local” news outlets, seeing potential competition in advertising sales, have taken this route.

12. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

my, my, Pat you are never very far from conspiracies are you?

13. POSTED BY uptowndowntown  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Is this a press release disguised as a blog post?

Personally, I come to Baristanet for local news and commentary. While I’m glad the commentary is not as nasty as it’s been in the past, I find that the expansion to other towns I’m not interested in has watered the site down. (And I agree with Cathar that the site needs to fix the punctuation/grammatical errors.) These days I typically check both Baristanet and Patch (which I knew was part of AOL). It seems both sites often have similar content—police blotter, open houses, town meetings. I think the writing is generally better on Baristanet, and there’s more of it, but both sites have helpful content.

I can understand your being upset that some third-party app is doing a poor job of scraping your data. I’m still going to go to the site that gives me the information that’s important to me. Right now I’m finding that both sites fill the bill.

14. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

“the owner and employees at a local Dunkin’ Donuts, Subway, Saladworks, CVS, Rite Aid, and so on, drive revenue and traffic to a downtown.”

Often owners of franchised chains are locals as well. Local people serving the community and making an honest living.

15. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Patch may have local editors, but it sends back its profits (or it would if it had any) to AOL. The fact that it actually is operating a huge loss creates a huge and unfair advantage for those of us who have to make our numbers add up at the end of month. They are establishing their local footholds with play money.

Moreover, Patch recruited Shelley Emling, its Montclair Editor, from London to do this job. She’s had residence here from 2009. I’ve been a resident of Glen Ridge since 1989. Who’s more authentically local?

The point is not that corporations and chains shouldn’t exist. But Patch is the McDonald’s of hyperlocal. If you want the world to have flavor and texture and not look entirely like Rt. 22, you have to support authentically local businesses while they are still here.

The Walmarts of the world have gained ascendancy through scale and the ability to cut prices to the bone. We are saying there is something else important to people, and worth paying for: local flavor.

16. POSTED BY Conan  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Hmmm, it sounds like it is going to be a little cranky in the kindergarten sandbox for a while.

Cathar, I think Melody is out on her own now, with expansive plans to be the foremost foodie / restaurant authority in this area. She is appearing in Patch, on Montclair and Maplewood Community TV, and she can always be found on her website http://www.hotfromthekettle.com/. Here is an article about her plans from the Patch: http://montclair.patch.com/articles/hot-from-the-kettles-melody-kettle-has-expansion-on-her-mind

(Gee, I hope I don’t get excommunicated from Baristanet for that…)

17. POSTED BY mattomega  |  May 16, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

@Debbie — you’re saying you’re more authentic than another resident? That’s awful. Also, Patch is operating at a loss? Are you making that up? They cap their salaries at $45K and most branches employ only one local editor.

Finally, it’s a specious argument to say that Patch “sends it profits” to AOL. What’s wrong with that when, if successful, Patch, or any news outlet, does its job serving the community? I mean, where does BaristaNet, or any business “send its profits?” They don’t give it to town hall, so what’s your point? Those employed by Patch live in town, shop in town, maybe have families in town. There’s very little to stand on when you make that argument.

18. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Patch is massively unprofitable, because AOL has put all its efforts into expansion.

From a story on their latest quarterly earnings:

On Patch, AOL executives would not commit to a timeline for profitability, but said they anticipate declines in losses.

As for Shelley Emling, recruiting your Montclair editor from London is the opposite of grass roots.

19. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

And aside from your living expenses Ms. Galant where do all your profits go? College tuition? Stocks and investments “outside” the local area? It’s nonsense. People at Patch are putting just as much money into the local economy with their earnings as you.

“She’s had residence here from 2009. I’ve been a resident of Glen Ridge since 1989. Who’s more authentically local?” Truly an obnoxious thing to say.

“We are saying there is something else important to people, and worth paying for: local flavor.”

This is true. But if you have to keep reminding people that the “flavor” they’re tasting is more “authentically local” perhaps the flavor isn’t as strong as you think.

I think Bnet still enjoys a significant edge over Patch because you are more established and have a larger audience. Also simply because you are not a corporate entity, you can have a more quirky and daring “voice”.

20. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

p.s.

You can also out-maneuver Patch because you are a much smaller operation. You can institute things like the “deals” or the “blogs” section much faster than Patch. Because of your maneuverability you can start something, test it, modify it, and end it if unsuccessful and move on to the next idea in the time it would take AOL to have a corporate “kick off” meeting on a similar idea. So use that strength to innovate innovate innovate.

But slapping a label “authentically local” on your site (there are plans for website “badges” correct?) isn’t going to have much effect.

21. POSTED BY Nellie  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

When I was a newspaper reporter, I covered the towns of Bloomingdale and Wayne. I felt that not being “authentically local,” was actually a plus, since it yielded a purely objective point of view. A good writer or editor can make the grade anywhere.

22. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Shelley Emling just sent me an email to correct the record.

I wasn’t recruited from London. I lived in Maplewood and then in London and then my husband was transferred back to New York. After freelancing and publishing a book, I applied for a job with Patch.

23. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Nellie, if there was actual coerage I wouldn’t complain but just to see the mayor’s side of the story reported on is quite depressing. Especially when we’ve packed meetings with residents who want to excpress their views. We’ve been very happy that baristanet has sent reporters and photographers to report on Bloomfield activities and politcs and I personally feel that the baristanet reporting has been quite good and unbiased.

No RoC I see no conspiracy just someone who doesn’t know the area, the issues, or the players and is complacent enough to just report what is handed to her.

24. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

coerage = coverage

25. POSTED BY mattomega  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

@Debbie — so what? Characterizing Patch employees as interlopers or unauthentic hurts your cause.

26. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

p.p.s.

The only ones paying are the advertisers. And it is very much in their advantage to have competition in advertising outlets (and rates) online.

Personally, I think a rising tide floats all boats.

27. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

FWIW, I find myself going to Patch more when I want in depth reporting on local politics and business news. And to Bnet for the lighter and more entertaining fare.

28. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

RoC
    Your comments on Patch don’t relect what you are saying here:

RoC’s comments on Patch (just some of them)below

“Right of Center:
    seems like there is a story there but its not in the article

Right of Center commented on:
    What Restaurant Will Close Next?
    Wow, what an unfriendly invitation to bash a restaurant you don’t like.

Right of Center:
    Any comment from them? There is little useful information in that article.

Right of Center:
    specifically what? What progress did they want has failed to appear? Why did they chose to withdraw rather than try to get on the same page as other towns?

Right of Center commented on:
    MSU’s Relations to Nearby Towns Take Another Turn
    no indication “why” in this article. Any calls made and not returned? Any reasons offered in the resolution?

Montclair School District Gets Federal Funds For Children at Risk
    what does “at risk” mean?

Freedom of Choice School Selection and Assignment Policy Explained
    doesn’t sound Constitutional to me. Patch, what good is a map so low in resolution that it cannot be read ?

29. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

relect = reflect

Typo patti today!

30. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

WOW. Just checked back…

Deb, is not checking a “fact” (that you wrongly believed that Ms. Emling was “recruited”) and stating it several times in a very ugly and unnecessarily manner, what we can expect from those with “Local” cred?

Or is the quick correction (with no apology) the example?

Either way, ROC is right on the money on this one: “So instead of trying to disqualify Patch as some how “not local” why not try to compete with them on depth and quality of reporting?”

31. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Really, criticizing someone for where she “came from” is tacky enough. Smacks of nativism. Give me your tired, you hungry, your poor and all that, after all, even if she supposedly came from London.

But then, it turns out that this claim was all wrong anyway. The Baristas are not having a good day. A very defensive, peckish one, maybe, but not a “good” day in terms of editorial integrity and quality.

And “sends back its profits” is just a horrible phrase for several reasons.

32. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

wow pat! I’m so flattered you keep up on my comments! I surely gripe when they write vague stories. ’tis true. But my observation still stands. I tend to go to patch to read more about local politics. Ironically I often come back here to post because of the size of the audience. The commenting here is more varied, intelligent, bitter, raucous, and communal than over there.

Take today, for example.

is this story even covered on Bnet yet?

Take today’s Patch headlines:

Council Moves Toward Hiking Pool Fees

Township Council Gives Green Light To South Park Street Redevelopment

How Can Montclair Promote Economic Development in the Midst of a Fiscal Downturn?

Public Meeting Set To Discuss Montclair Center Gateway Redevelopment

State Education Aid To Montclair Increases By More Than $1 Million

any of those on Bnet?

33. POSTED BY Nellie  |  May 16, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Pat, that must be frustrating to have a reporter who tells only one side of the story. My comment was actually in response to Debbie Galant’s comment, not yours.

34. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

No, ROC.

On our Authentically Local Blog, the headline is:

Trump Steps Out of Presidential Race

35. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

RoC, it’s easy to check your comments I just clicked on your name (don’t let your head swell). Patch may be doing a better job in Montclair (I don’t read ALL of the Montclair news) but does a horrible job in Bloomfield.

I’m not saying so because patch doesn’t support my point of view but because no single article is well rounded and you can tell that no research has been done.

I really don’t care where the “profits” go but do care about well rounded and researched reporting. 14 Years at the AP taught me to appreciate good reporting.

Nellie- thanks for the explanation

36. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

“I just clicked on your name ”

Hmm. a nice feature!

37. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

ROC, And here is how Patch is spinning the Robert McLoughlin resignation:

As a budget cut story.

38. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Yep – regurgitating what the town gives them.

“”The Township Manager has had to make several very difficult decisions over the last 16 months and this is one of them,” said Mayor Jerry Fried, adding that, under Montclair’s form of government, “these staffing decisions are made by the manager.””

The fired official was available for comment…but no. And cary said that he was concerned about the cioverage but no follow up from Patch

39. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

But Ms. Galant it says right there in the Patch article:

“Now the Montclair Times is reporting that McLoughlin has threatened to sue the Township, claiming he is being dismissed as a result of “political interference” and “retaliation.” He is calling for an investigation into Fried’s actions.”

40. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

See Roc, no need to have your head swell. There are no lovely avators on patch- I really like mine it suits my mood.

41. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

It’s also more than a bit unfair to assert that Patch is unprofitable. More accurately, the Patch operation is in a developmental state. One in which money is of necessity spent to expand operations, with the expectation of eventual proftability. Sports Illustrated, to cite just one magazine (and both Baristanet and Patch are “webzines” in their own way) was famously unprofitable for many years. Many, many years.

Somewhere (can’t find it now) on this site someone also complained that Patch caps its editorial salaries for its local sites at $45K. Does this mean Baristanet pays better than that? If so, this comes as a complete surprise. Because some of Baristanet’s regular contributors run on so to so little real effect that I’ve always suspected they purposely padded their contributions because they’re paid by the word.

And from Ms. Galant’s posts above, I really didn’t get the sense of a warm, truly community-minded editor-in-chief overseeing everything. Instead, the tone was waspish and defensive. And distinctly unapologetic for the attack on Ms. Emling. Not at all like, if anyone recalls when Will Rogers played the old Saturday Evening Post stories’ folksy editor character in the movies, David Harum. Is this really the attitude Baristanet wishes to convey today? Is it even, so to speak, “authentically local?”

42. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

no I was talking about Patch’s regurgitation. Debbie fully covered the “event”

43. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

p.s. he didn’t resign, he was terminated

44. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

Well baristanet certainly understands the issues.

I never thought that truly “local” meant warm and fuzzy or folksy in a Will Rogers way. Why should it? I thought that is meant that the local issues are understood and reported on…not just glossed over.

45. POSTED BY oliver  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I look at both sites, but I’ve noticed lately that Patch often reports on matters before I see them on B’net. OK, sometimes they are just alerting readers to what’s on the Mtc. Times website, as in the case of the Bob McLaughlin vs. Fried allegations issue a few days ago. Nevertheless, it was on Patch that I saw that news first, followed a day or two later by B’net, with a remark to the effect that they’d been working on the story but hadn’t gotten it out yet because they were waiting for quotes from the players.

I think there’s room for both. And I don’t think that a “more local than thou” attitude is endearing.

46. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

RoC

baristanet said that he was terminated. patch on the other hand said
    “Budget Cuts Prompt Departure of Construction Code Official ”

Which do YOU think is real reporting?

47. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Perhaps, Ms. Gilleran, you simply never reqd the Wall Street Journal during the heyday of its esteemed formed editor Vermont Royster. (And has there even been a more folksy first name than “Vermont” for an editor?)

Whatever you make of the concept of editorial warmth, too, I hope you can at least agree that it is no compliment to whomever is really at the switch here that she behaves like a “birther” and makes nasty remarks about where Patch’s editor supposedly came from. Claims which were later proven utterly mistaken. Again, this is not a good day for Baristanet. Whether one has resided in this area one year or 20+.

48. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Ms. Galant just said he’d resigned.

Look, I’m not the defender of patch. As you have so ably pointed out I am often a critic. My point for Ms. Galant was offered as an observation about how I see the differences between the sites. Information she may or may not find helpful.

49. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

Did she ask to see Shelley Emling’s long birth certificate? If, so I missed it.

I’m much more a Hank Grunwald fan
    “Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.” -Henry Anatole Grunwald

50. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Oh I get it now. Ms. Galant only reads Patch headlines perhaps. The spin is in the headline.

Patch doesn’t (for whatever reason) change their headlines as a story evolves. The often add “update”. This particular story started as an announcement of the “budgetary cut” as announcement from the Township manager. Now since Patch does a lot of this day to day (boring) reporting that Bnet doesn’t do, the gave it that headline. Later in that day I believe the allegations of Mr. McLaughlin were reported on the MC Times website. Then Patch added “Update” to the headline and added the paragraph I cited above. Im guessing here, but I’ll bet they don’t change the headlines so people can find the same article and know it’s the same article when updated. Spin?

If I were Ms. Galant I’d more concerned that Patch reported the story a full 3 DAYS before baristanet than the “spin” of the headline.

51. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

ROC, I was talking about the headline in the McLoughlin story, and the emphasis. ROC and cathar, you have been longtime critics (and longtime readers). We are the David, they are the Goliath. Does that make me edgy? Sure.

52. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

oh, another feature of Patch I’m getting used to is the ability to make corrections in a post:

Here is mine again, properly proof read (my appologies)

Patch doesn’t (for whatever reason) change their headlines as a story evolves. They often add “update”. This particular story started as an announcement of the “budgetary cut” from the Township manager. Now since Patch does a lot of this day-to-day (boring) reporting that Bnet doesn’t do, they gave it that headline. Later in that day I believe the allegations of Mr. McLaughlin were reported on the MC Times website. Then Patch added “Update” to the headline and added the paragraph I cited above. I’m guessing here, but I’ll bet they don’t change the headlines so people can find the same article and know it’s the same article when updated. Spin?

53. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Really, Ms. Gilleran, if you wish to play at being a dogsbody to Ms. Galant, feel quite free.

But calling in Henry Grunwald was a bit much even for someone who so regularly posts in her full-on perfervid mode. Even if you are, yourself, “authentically local.” (And clearly so bloody proud of yourself for being so, to, however little you correspondingly seem to know about journalism, especially re fact-checking and retractions.)

54. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

David didn’t complain about Goliath, he got to work.

55. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

“Does that make me edgy?”

The Baristanet Edge would be better than authentically local. But what do I know, I’m Baristanet loyalist. Patch smatch. Has Patch had an article on The Immune officer? I think not.

56. POSTED BY spectator  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

This discussion resulted in one change for me. I added patch to my desktop.

57. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

I wish Bnet and Patch success.

58. POSTED BY ipsofacto  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

ROC,
    I think Montclair Center should rethink their tag line graphic of a street sign with “Where the suburb” “Meets the city”. Maybe they could use a graphic of a white picket fence with concertina wire strung along the top?

Bnet,
    This is really a really poorly conceived and executed idea and I respectively suggest you let it quietly pass into hyperspace. The real message here is that Bnet, Patch, Times have set a low barrier for entry by a new player. ROC is right.
    Ask the experts in consumer marketing, ngo’s, and technology. They’ll each give you their own Top 10 List of why this is destined to fail. Really sorry for being so blunt.

59. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

cathar,

I liked hank, I thought he was an excellent editor and appreciated him greatly. I’m a complete fan. I was not a fan of the conservative Royster.

I’ve seen and done a lot of fact checking in my time and see no evidence of it in the patch reporting.

No, I don’t claim to be “completely local”. I grew up for a time in Montclair, then we moved to NYC, and then as an adult I moved back here to Bloomfield, 25 years ago.

I am active in local politics and local issues and find it insulting that the patch is not checking what it’s posting. And yes I am passionate about the issues.

60. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

I have to admit I come to b’net more out habit then for substance these days. How many ‘green’ stories can you read?
    Plus I’ll follow Melody wherever she goes. Love those videos heh heh.

61. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

“[L]et it quietly pass into hyperspace.”

Like rating the comments? Remember how that was going to change the commenting culture here… Me neither.

Oh, well ipsofacto, this is me, giving you a THUMBS UP!!

62. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Ipso,

I think the motto of montclair should be:

“Montclair, there’s always enough money to waste!”

63. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Actually David had plenty to say to Goliath

The Philistine cursed David by his gods,” but David replies: “This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down, and cut off your head; and I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that God saves not with sword and spear; for the battle is God’s, and he will give you into our hand.”

64. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

caphilly, you can sign up to receive Baristanet by daily newsletter. Here

65. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

“Actually David had plenty to say to Goliath”

I know, but missing was “It’s not fair! He has an unfair advantage!”

66. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

You do that a lot Pat, ignore what was said to make your own point. I remember from the Watercooler. I didn’t say he was silent I said he didn’t “complain”.

67. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Goliath liked Starbucks, shopped at the Gap and got his meds at CVS.

David, we know, liked Cafe Eclectic, shopped at Milk Money and got his prescriptions filled at Grove Pharmacy.

Just Sayin’….

68. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

RoC
    I doubt that you remember me from the Watercooler since when I joined you were looooong gone.

David certainly DID complain. I only posted a small amount of davids complaints- there were many more.

69. POSTED BY ipsofacto  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Thank you Prof, but you aren’t a local, are you? Don’t you live in the 43? Don’t know if I can accept a Thumbs Up.

I’m getting all very confused – don’t scale, renounce, ignore, be concerned, Russo is friends with Brown, Ted Mattox coming back, May 21st!

70. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

take a close look at verses 22-26

A Cry for Vengeance
    To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;

2 for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:
    they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.

3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred;
    and fought against me without a cause.

4 For my love they are my adversaries:
    but I give myself unto prayer.

5 And they have rewarded me evil for good,
    and hatred for my love.

6 Set thou a wicked man over him:
    and let Satan stand at his right hand.

7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:
    and let his prayer become sin.

8 Let his days be few;
    and let another take his office.

9 Let his children be fatherless,
    and his wife a widow.

10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:
    let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.

11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;
    and let the strangers spoil his labor.

12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:
    neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.

13 Let his posterity be cut off;
    and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.

14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD;
    and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.

15 Let them be before the LORD continually,
    that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

16 Because that he remembered not to show mercy,
    but persecuted the poor and needy man,
    that he might even slay the broken in heart.

17 As he loved cursing,
    so let it come unto him:
    as he delighted not in blessing,
    so let it be far from him.

18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment,
    so let it come into his bowels like water,
    and like oil into his bones.

19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him,
    and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.

20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD,
    and of them that speak evil against my soul.

21 But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name’s sake:
    because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.

22 For I am poor and needy,
    and my heart is wounded within me.

23 I am gone like the shadow when it declineth:
    I am tossed up and down as the locust.

24 My knees are weak through fasting;
    and my flesh faileth of fatness.

25 I became also a reproach unto them:
    when they looked upon me they shook their heads.

26 Help me, O LORD my God:
    O save me according to thy mercy:

27 that they may know that this is thy hand;
    that thou, LORD, hast done it.

28 Let them curse, but bless thou:
    when they arise, let them be ashamed;
    but let thy servant rejoice.

29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame;
    and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.

30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;
    yea, I will praise him among the multitude.

31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor,
    to save him from those that condemn his soul.

71. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

ipsofacto,

Since the 43 “scales”, AND keeps its profits here (well for those in the 42, there) I suggest you reconsider and accept the Thumbs Up, it was sent with a good heart.

But thinking further, since technically the 43 is NOT local to you, I guess I have to face facts… And take my thumb and put it where the sun don’t shine…

Sorry.

72. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Oh my God! Did I stumble onto Harold Camping’s website by mistake?

Arrgh!!!!! HE WAS RIGHT!!!!!

73. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

No croiag,

RoC has decided to use incorrect biblcal references and claims. RoC has yet to predict the end of the world.

74. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

This is the best thread to appear on Baristanet since cathar called me a cowardly, affable, groundling back in the year dot. We’ve got biblical quotations, ROC and Debbie duking it out, we’ve got cathar and croi and prof and… best of all, we have an all out media war, complete with Debbie claiming to speak for the true, authentic locals against the tool of the evil corporate empire. Oh, yes! Yes! We are once again firing on all cylinders!

75. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

What does psalm 109 have to do with Goliath? (the story of David and Goliath being in the book of Samuel)

I’ll say again as plainly as I can. David confronted Goliath without whining and without complaining – in fact, quite the opposite. He volunteered for the task, took aim and slew him.

Perhaps this will help:

76. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

For the record, I think Shelley Emling is a hard working reporter / editor who does some laudable stuff at Patch. But of course you know I am partial to the Baristas, every last one of them I love, but especially Liz, who is the True Love of My Life and the Shining Beacon on My Hill (though I may need to revise that last metaphor).

77. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

ROC, if David were alive today we would have tweeted the whole battle.

78. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

So, you think psalm 109 is NOT the psalm of David???

“David, the author of the psalm as indicated in the superscription, calls upon God to destroy his enemies in the most horrible ways. According to Perowne, there are no less than 30 anathemas pronounced upon David’s enemies in this one psalm. David not only seeks the punishment of his enemy but also the painful consequences brought on his family: “Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. Let his children wander about and beg; and let them seek sustenance far from their ruined homes”

79. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

‘roo
    he would also have posted photos on facebook.

80. POSTED BY mattomega  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

Oh my god. This thread, replete with the godawful comments from the editor, is petty and reprehensible. Be a e-NIMBY at your own peril, but those journalistic locavores who cherish “local” in the abstract, but decry competition (and not Big Box competition, mind you, because it does not remove resources from town) should really think twice about the work they do, the profession they’re in, and why they do what they do.

81. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

and now prayers to the diety

82. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

“The” psalm of David? Something tells me you are out of your depth in a biblical discussion.

There are scores of psalms of David. A majority, I believe, of the book of 150 psalms bear “A psalm of David” moniker or are attributed to him. There is no ONE psalm of David. The psalms were written as songs when he was an adult and likely during his rein as King. But 109 isn’t about Goliath.

There is an apocryphal (outside the cannon) psalm 151 that is supposed to be about Goliath.

83. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Oh RoC,

Glad that you knew david and what he meant. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but somehow it doesn;t look like this was written before he slew goliath..but after

12 This psalm was written3 by David himself

(even though it lies outside the accepted number of psalms)5

after he fought single-handedly7 with Goliath.

The Lord’s Selection of David

I was the smallest among my brothers,

and the youngest in my father’s household.

I used to take care of my father’s sheep.

My hands constructed11 a musical instrument

my fingers tuned a harp.

Who will announce this to my Lord?

The Lord himself—he is listening

4 He himself sent his messenger

and took me from my father’s sheep,

and anointed me with his anointing oil.

5 My brothers were handsome and big,

but the Lord did not approve of them.

David’s Victory over Goliath

I went out to meet the foreigner
    he called down curses on me by his idols.

But I pulled out his own sword;

I beheaded him and thereby removed reproach from the Israelites.

84. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Entspann dich, frau gilleran! Enough with the Bible already!

Why not address the point that ROC is making rather than try to audition for the EWTN?

85. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

but RoC is wrong in his point and I’m not Catholic and don’t speak German. What does German have to do with RoC’s point anyway?

86. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

this is silly. Do you know anything about the old testament? David was a BIG character in the good old days of Israel. It’s a fantastic story. The psalms are one of the more amazing and beautiful parts of the bible and the Davidic ones were written by an older David reflecting upon his life and experiences. If you’d read any of them you could tell they were not written by a 14 year old boy David.

87. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Wrong in my point? Show me where David complained and whined about the slaying of Goliath.

88. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

So, they weren’t written by David the whiner? I beg to differ

89. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

In case I wasn’t clear:

You go Baristanet. Let’s go out and kick some a$$.

90. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

The old testament make us wonder if David really did kill Goliath
    2 Samuel 21:19
    And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob, and vElhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, the Bethlehemite, struck down Goliath the Gittite, wthe shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.3

91. POSTED BY oliver  |  May 16, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

A suggestion for the logo–add a horizon line for Montclair! You can include the Edgemont Park memorial, art museum, the Siena building–what else? Crisco? Applegate’s? The Wellmont, with little ceiling chunks flying off of it?

92. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  May 16, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Bike racks, oliver. Don’t forget the bike racks!

I hesitate to offer advice to ROC, but what the hell….

ROC, I fear that you are caught in a Biblical tar baby with Ms Gilleran, who appears to be rather addled in terms of Scripture knowledge and, well, other things as well. Get out now, MACH SCHNELL!

93. POSTED BY PAZ  |  May 16, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I agree with RoC, stick with the Q&D (Quirky & Daring) and you can’t go wrong….It’s the new mother of success.
    Anyone can report the news but if you can piss the peeps off part of the time, it’s like drawing flies to a Mobius pest strip…..Ca-ching!

94. POSTED BY marymann  |  May 16, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

As a Patch editor, I have to say that this comment thread is a hoot! I love working for the evil corporate empire in my town. I have a great job — salary, benefits, expenses — where I serve my community and can put my kids on the bus and take the off the bus every day.

In Maplewood, Baristanet and Patch share some of the same freelancers — great local writers who supplement their incomes with work from both electronic media news sites. I think it’s a great thing.

Mary Mann
    Maplewood Patch Local Editor

P.S. Shelley Emling is a topnotch journalist and human being!

95. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  May 16, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

Ironically I often come back here to post because of the size of the audience.

And we are very fortunate that you are sharing your extremely important messages and astute observations with the masses. Thank you for posting here. We can never have enough gadflies.

I think the reporting and writing at Patch is pretty sound and their site is easy to navigate–you can see far back in the commenting history, which is nice. It’s a more serious site, including the commenters. Bnet is full of personality (and clearly some personality disorders), which can be more interesting (or aggravating.) There is room for both, I think, and although this thread was amusing, there was quite a bit of pettiness. C’mon Bnet, be confident, stay classy and quit with the Patch insults (and fabrications).

96. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 16, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

“I have a great job — salary, benefits, expenses…”

Nice.

97. POSTED BY PAZ  |  May 16, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Marymann……“I have a great job — salary, benefits, expenses…”
    Don’t brag about that too much, the bottomliners can reach out and get you at any moment and then you’ll be shuffled off to Camp Fired.

98. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  May 16, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Don’t we have a poster who aside from notable dank has already plumbed the depths of what it means to be authentic and relevant.

I think we’re going over covered ground here.

99. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:30 am

Bike racks, oliver. Don’t forget the bike racks!

When you’re funny, croi, you’re very funny.

100. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:36 am

What the competition is saying:

Commercials are messing up our marriages. The reason? Any product today that involves relationships, has the man looking dumb, weak and incompetent.

Let the war of profound commentary. Bring it on, baby, bring it on.

101. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:37 am

Ooops, Let the war of profound commentary BEGIN! That’s what I meant to say.

Time for bed, I think…

102. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  May 17, 2011 @ 1:40 am

I know, that story about men and commercials was so silly. I don’t a commercial or a Patch article to tell me which is the dumber, weaker sex. Like, DUH. But that story about being canned was good reading.

(Now who needs an Ambien.)

103. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  May 17, 2011 @ 1:47 am

I don’t NEED. Anyone ever notice that your writing gets REALLY bad once the Ambien sets in? Writing and Ambien are a bad mix, downright dangerous I’d say.

104. POSTED BY mandy939  |  May 17, 2011 @ 3:40 am

As a reader of Baristanet for years, I do find myself going more and more to Patch. I find their comments more interesting, and less of a back and forth conversation between 2 or 3 frequent commenters (no offense, say what you wish, but for those not involved in the conversation, it´s not so interesting to read). I find they often cover a story faster than Baristanet, and I like that they have less lost cat, found dog, kind of stories.
    I agree with some of the other comments that including the other towns has somewhat watered down the content. I also much preferred the old site format particularly for the food section, it was easier to see the most recent comments on restaurants.
    Personally, “authentically local” or not, I am EVER so grateful to Patch for covering local fundraisers I have helped to organize as well.

105. POSTED BY oliver  |  May 17, 2011 @ 6:44 am

It’s 6:42 a.m. as I type this, and Patch has already posted a story on last night’s Montclair School Board meeting. B’net has not. This is one of the differences I have seen lately. Perhaps with their AOL backing they have more resources, or maybe just different priorities.

As I said before, I’m happy to have both sites. They have different vibes. Not slamming either one.

106. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 17, 2011 @ 8:01 am

oliver, BaristaKids posted the BOE story at 6:40 a.m. http://kids.baristanet.com/2011/05/montclair-boe-re-elections-and-new-appointees/

107. POSTED BY ali9ia  |  May 17, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Agree with “spectator” (and perhaps some other posters? No time to read all 106 comments currently posted!!) – it’s very annoying when Baristanet or Baristakids run an interesting headline or review what seems to be a really cool place, just to find out it’s about/in Maplewood or Millburn. How are those towns local? I suspect that for some (not so) bizarre reason, average household income somehow weighs in more than physical location in the determination of “local” towns. Watch out Bloomfield, you’ll be kicked out of the club soon!

108. POSTED BY deadeye  |  May 17, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Amazing thread. This is what a couple of slow news days produces. Rambling biblical quotations, midnight musings over the relative merits of B’net and the insipid Patch posted at 3:40AM!! Were they passing out the hallucinogenics somewhere in town?

109. POSTED BY deadeye  |  May 17, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Tudlow, if you think writing and Ambien don’t mix, you should never try text messaging while driving after having taken Ambien. :-)

110. POSTED BY oliver  |  May 17, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Debbie, I’m glad BaristaKids had the school board news this morning, but I don’t read BaristaKids. (Even though I have kids. But that site skews younger than my teens.) As school board news affects plenty of those who don’t have kids, I would have expected it to be on the main page with other town-wide news. If you’re going to put it on B’Kids, maybe you want to put a quick blurb on the main page telling folks to go there.

111. POSTED BY Iceman  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:04 am

I love it the old Baristanet is back…fight on. I gotta get in here and have cro call me names again.

I’m going to be in Glen Ridge tonight at Mountainside Hospital so I’ll stop at Tierney’s for an authentically local beer imported from Holland and a burger from a cow raised in Montana.

I live in Denville now, am I allowed to keep posting on Baristanet?

112. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:04 am

RoC
    please stop trying to throw me in that briar patch!

113. POSTED BY DagT  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Holy bible verse! This thread is exactly why I stop by B’net.

114. POSTED BY deadeye  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Ice, Try the “Second Half” in Denville. An old friend owns it.

115. POSTED BY Nellie  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Ice, I give you permission to keep commenting here…Uh-Oh…..I hope I won’t be excommunicated from B’Net (as someone else expressed concern about yesterday) for overstepping my bounds….I’ll have to ask for an annulment so I can come back.

I agree that the school board story belongs in the main sction, not on BaristaKids…It was placed there merely to drive traffic to BaristaKids.

116. POSTED BY Nellie  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Did you know that today is Ride Your Bike to Work Day?

The Mayor must be soaked.

117. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Did you know Bloomfield’s new school district superintendent brings his dog to the office?

118. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Good man.

119. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 17, 2011 @ 10:51 am

When I was at the Y this morning, I was talking to some friends and we were commenting on how the Y fought to be a better place and define it’s community mission in the face of the NYSportsClub opening at the Sienna.

Rather than cry and complain about how “local” they are and how the NYSC “profits” would go to NY, the Y got some new classes, new equipment, and reminded its members of the important role in plays in the community.

In a word: they competed.

Reading over this post, it’s a shame that the barista’s decided to cry and complain (and make stuff up), rather than compete and make a better product.

Oh, and that there is still no apology to Ms. Emling is telling.

And small.

I’m still a fan, but I hate taking off my rose colored glasses.

120. POSTED BY kay  |  May 17, 2011 @ 11:57 am

But especially Liz, who is the True Love of My Life and the Shining Beacon on My Hill

(((sob!)))

Roo, you incorrigible heartbreaker!

I know you only say that because she lets you live there rent-free!

121. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I for one love working for Debbie and Liz. They are both hard working lovely women. I’m not entirely sure there is room for two sights in town. The sights are both funded with $$ from ad sales. In a time when retailers etc. are struggling ad sales are harder and harder to come by.

As for the writers at Patch….there are more of them and they get paid more. Why? Well because they are owned by AOL and can afford to….end of story. There are so many of them that they are now fighting each other for stories.

I agree that there is always room for improvement but when have you ever heard Home Depot say they were closing a store because it was too hard to compete with the small local hardware stores?

Now I must go… I am due for tea at Debbie’s estate La Cuesta Encantada. I think I may try riding a zebra today.

122. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

(((sob!)))

And she fakes, just like a woman…

Not to worry, kay, I love you, too.

123. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I agree, Dag. I ((((heart)))) this thread.

124. POSTED BY kay  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

fakes??! not I!

125. POSTED BY deadeye  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Ride your bike to work day… Every morning I invariable see several intrepid cyclists making their way to what I’m assuming is the train station. Today I saw one of the regulars wearing the most elaborate rain suit that I’d ever seen. What do you do when you get on the train and go to sit down next to someone when you are easily as wet as if you’d just emerged from a pool?

I used to also regularly see a child, accompanied by a parent, that rode a bike to school under the most appalling weather conditions ( several inches of snow/slush, bitter cold, black ice, driving rain) complete with musical instruments strapped to the bike. Conditions not withstanding, what got my attention was the fact that the dynamic duo would ride on the wrong side of the street, straight into traffic, with the rising sun directly at their backs, a tactic used by fighter pilots to render them very difficult to see. Some days it’s just got to make more sense to ask for a ride

126. POSTED BY DagT  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Kay I missed you at the luncheon at the museum last week; lovely art with beautiful flower arrangements. As soon as this rain stops I’ll be wandering around the irises with my camera.

Walleroo I hope you have as many female admirers in real life as you do here in cyberspace.

127. POSTED BY Conan  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

“Oh, I love media brawls. I feel like I’m living through the early days of William Randolph Hearst.”

…just don’t wear your Marion Davies outfit, ‘roo, or you could get seriously injured.

128. POSTED BY Conan  |  May 17, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Decisions, decisions. I am going to stick with the HLB (hyper-local blog) that best reports the end of the world. For example:

Baristanet: “Bloomfield man dies in nuclear holocaust.”

Patch: “You’ve got Mail!”

Also, pictures will earn extra credit. See y’all Sunday?

129. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  May 17, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

“What do you do when you get on the train and go to sit down next to someone when you are easily as wet as if you’d just emerged from a pool?”?

You lick yourself dry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I-1lao5UUac

130. POSTED BY walleroo  |  May 17, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

What’s important, Dag, is that one true love.

131. POSTED BY DagT  |  May 17, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

Lovely walleroo and so very true!

132. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  May 18, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

ever notice how only 4 or 5 people post photos – come on – especially you bloomfield people who think there isn’t enough coverage of Blmfd – start posting some of your pics!