Authentically July 4th

BY  |  Monday, Jul 04, 2011 2:33pm  |  COMMENTS (18)

Here we are at Edgemont Park, at the end of our 1.6 mile trek through the hot streets of Montclair, where — despite the sweltering humidity — we marched, waved and threw candy to the crowd. Hip hip hooray to Holly Korus, who designed and built our “Authentically Local” themed float, with the help of the wonderful Bobby Schlaeffer, who donated the truck, the plywood and the jigsaw skills as well as skippering the vehicle.

Slide show by John Lee.

Curses, curses — foiled again by the Commonwealth Club, which as usual picked up first prize in the float contest.

Anybody find a camera at the corner of Midland and Willow? We just heard from a spectator who lost theirs — without about 500 memories on it.

More great slideshows here, here and here.

1. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 04, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

I’ll be adding picture to the slideshow all day ~ so come back again and check them out real soon y’all!

2. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 04, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Nice pix!

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 04, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

The parade was wonderful, but some beautiful woman apparently lost a broach… Wowie wow wow!

4. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 04, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

more photos coming in the morning

5. POSTED BY Nellie  |  July 04, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

holly, you are multi-talented…You build floats–and drinks!

6. POSTED BY Kristin  |  July 04, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Thanks, Baristas, for including my link in the “great slideshows” shout-out. We had a fantastic time – even better this year because we weren’t worried that the kids were overheating.

7. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  July 05, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Nellie thank you!
    I learned a few thing now looking back at these pictures:
    1- Do not wear a children’s sized tee shirt if you are a swimmer ( no matter how cute Debbie says you look wearing it) you will look like the incredible hulk.
    2- Concept does not factor into the judging of the floats. However big, flashy and water proof does ( now I know).
    3- 1 and 2 don’t matter because we all had so much fun during the parade. Great memories, great town, with amazing people.
    Thank you to everyone who cheered us on!!!!

8. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 05, 2011 @ 8:31 am

Holly : It is of my opinion that the judges were held at (water) gun point and therefore were forced to let the Commonwealth Club take your prize.

9. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 05, 2011 @ 9:09 am

The Commonwealth Club float started with a $2000 rental and added a lot of balloons and glitz on top of that. It was fine, but for my money Baristanet’s float wins hands down. It was far classier; it had, for one thing, the finest hand-painted beakless owls this side of the Mississippi. Do you want class or do you want awards? If it’s awards you want, next year perhaps go for a parody of the Commonwealth Club float? Just an idea.

I admit that I may be biased in favor of the Baristanet float, having participated, in a way, at least virtually, in its creation on Saturday night, with Holly and Carl. I know what sacrifice went into its making, in Holly’s blood sweat and tears, but also the sheer cost in human life. In case you think I’m exaggerating, I have included actual footage of Holly directing the construction operation on Sunday.

10. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 05, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Holly doesn’t know it yet but the readers of Baristanet have decided that she will be creating a bigger, more elaborate float next year :D

11. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  July 05, 2011 @ 10:31 am

John I think we needed Estelle the chicken on the float. Next year bigger, glitter glamour, bling!!! I’m going to build a 75′ Uncle Sam that will take down all of the power lines in Montclair as he towers through the city. Whaaaahahaha…..du, du dunnnnnnnn.

Roo screw class give me an award! Hahaha. This video does not show how the people were killed and or mamed. It was me and my stupid staple gun that jammed. No body actually died they either got shot with a staple as I was trying to fix it or passed out after heard the trail of obscenities coming out of my mouth as the darned thing jammed up over and over.

12. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 05, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Don’t worry, Holly, the marching bands in front of you and in back of you and to your left and to your right drowned out the cursing.

13. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 05, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Holly it’s time for a Commonwealth Take Down ~ Let’s Chat Soon.

14. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 05, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Commonwealth Take-down — sounds like a good name for that tea drink.

15. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 05, 2011 @ 11:53 am

more pictures of the parade are being uploaded right now :D

16. POSTED BY Carl Bergmanson  |  July 05, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Holly,

Kudos on a great float – you really went above and beyond, and it shows (Judging from how exhausted you sounded on Saturday night, I was half-expecting that the float might have taken a Warholesque turn)

Walleroo,

Perhaps next time you & I should actually help.

17. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 05, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Oh, Carl, don’t be ridiculous. I was way too busy “working” to actually do anything.

18. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  July 05, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Help…..yes wouldn’t that be nice. There is a post up now on the making of the thing. You can sign up for next years float jobs in the comments.