“Fin” Seafood Restaurant to Replace Mei’s Cafe

BY ,  |  Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 1:30pm  |  COMMENTS (17)

The owner of Montclair’s Salute Bistro, Gerry Cerrigone, told Baristanet that he has purchased and taken ownership of Mei’s Cafe, just up the block from his popular Glenridge Avenue restaurant. Starting today, the space is under construction, preparing for his new “raw bar and kitchen” restaurant, Fin, which is scheduled to open on October 1.

“When you walk in, customers will see a wall of shaved ice, full of whole fish – snapper, branzino, shellfish, etc.,” said Cerrigone. “Customers can pick the fish they want for dinner, and it will be cleaned and cooked to order.”

Cerrigone’s business partner will be Michael Juliano, founder of the South City Grill franchise. Juliano will be Fin’s executive chef.

We stopped by the now-empty restaurant space, and found a sign directing Mei’s Cafe customers to Sushi Hana, up the street and around the corner on North Fullerton. Mei’s owner Mei Mei La will be merging her menu with that of her Malaysian-Chinese mom and Vietnamese-Chinese dad, and will continue to serve her customers’ favorites, including Bubble Tea. The chef at Sushi Hana said that Mei’s should be up and running there by the weekend.

Are you ready for a raw bar in Baristaville? If I bring my own vodka, I wonder if they’ll make me an oyster shot as good as The Beachcomber in Wellfleet, MA? Anyone else had the pleasure of tasting that slippery but oh-so-good drink?

1. POSTED BY walleroo  |  August 23, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Did we just have an earthquake in Baristaville? I’m at Cafe Eclectic, and we all felt this rumbling…

2. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  August 23, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

we bring our own vodka to Costanera for Oyster shooters on Thursdays for $1 oysters.

3. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  August 23, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I prefer to eat my oysters plain, on the shell and savory the delicately sweet yet briny flavor.
    Chilled vodka, or champagne, or a crisp white wine on the side work well. And there’s nothing like Wellfleet oysters. I’m heading out to the Cape on Friday!

4. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  August 23, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

Savor, not savory. Oy. I just cannot multi-task.

5. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  August 23, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Ah yes Jersey, nothing like following a hurricane up to the Cape. Stay Dry

6. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  August 23, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

@ jerseygurl, I’m headed to the Cape on Friday too. See ya at Nauset Light, hurricane or not.

7. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  August 24, 2011 @ 6:33 am

Hey Erika, Coastguard Beach is just gorgeous. Hurricane? I suspect we’ll have heavy rains on Sunday. Like last year. We’ll make a clam and chorizo stew, watch movies and drink wine. Then it’ll be beautiful the next day.

8. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  August 24, 2011 @ 7:13 am

@ jerseygurl, enjoy. A trip to the Cape isn’t quite complete without some complicated weather.

9. POSTED BY Howard Beale  |  August 24, 2011 @ 8:32 am

We always stayed in North Eastham and ate at Moby Dick’s when the kids were young, had afternoon beers at the bookstore, takeout from Arnold’s and special evenings out at a restaurant that doesn’t exist any more, the Grist Mill or Mahoney’s in Orleans.
    We’re staying in South Chatham this year, about 15 minutes from downtown Chatham. Any dining recommendations?

10. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  August 24, 2011 @ 8:55 am

@Howard Beale, I don’t know the restaurant scene in Chatham, though there’s a fishing supply story there that I get great knives from to stock my kitchen collection. It’s near the railroad museum. Also, love Monomoy Island and watching the seals. Enjoy.

11. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  August 24, 2011 @ 9:53 am

@Howard. Chatham Bars Inn. They have a fancy restaurant inside but they also have the Beach House Grill outside. Great food. Great atmosphere and you get a blanket if it’s chilly.

12. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  August 24, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Mac’s seafood. Raw scallops for breakfast…in my Baristaville dreams.

13. POSTED BY Erika Bleiberg  |  August 24, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Nothing like eating Oysters with a few of their beds… Love Mac’s but the Bookstore is my longtime fav. So many family meals on the upstairs porch. Also, The Lobster Pot in PTown, while kinda touristy, makes incredible Bouillabaisses and seafood stews. Hoping Montclair’s Fin will be a good local spot for such things.

14. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  August 24, 2011 @ 10:43 am

The Lobster Pot is great. It’s where Anthony Bourdain started!

15. POSTED BY Howard Beale  |  August 24, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Thanks for the recos. I’ll try them all!

16. POSTED BY Liz George  |  August 24, 2011 @ 11:15 am

I’m getting so nostalgic for Wellfleet — love P.J.’s, too.

17. POSTED BY Kristin  |  August 26, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

I’m so relieved that the headline didn’t mean that Mei’s Cafe is closing. I’ve really enjoyed it. Although, part of what was/is so great about it is that space. Wonderful open, sort of industrial vibe.