Montclair’s Favorite “Diner” Prepares to Open Its Doors

BY  |  Monday, Sep 26, 2011 3:45pm  |  COMMENTS (7)

“Four to five weeks, everything ready,” said Gus Makris, co-owner of the Montclair Char-Broil, located at 613 Valley Road.   Makris, along with Stavros Godevas, his partner and the diner’s co-owner, look forward to opening their restaurant after a fire in April 2011 closed down their business.

In addition to introducing customers to a new name for the restaurant, “the Montclair Diner,” Makris and Godevas plan to introduce new menu items, including new “health salads,” wraps and lunch specials.  Customers will also find new blue and red booths and the restaurant walls painted red and white.  “American colors,” said Makris.

Makris and Godevas estimate the cost of the renovation at more than $250,000, which they paid out-of-pocket in conjunction with money their landlord’s insurance company paid.

In the mean time, scroll down and click on the video for your Char Broil nostaligia fix — can you smell the home fries?

1. POSTED BY sheepy  |  September 26, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Never missed it. I gave up on this place years ago. I love the location though.

2. POSTED BY linder  |  September 26, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

The Greek chicken soup was awesome. I loved the waitresses and the owner. But they used frozen french toast the last time we were there (really crazily uniform grill marks was the tip-off). I want to love it because the location is fab. Let’s support them!

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  September 26, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

The Greek chicken soup was awesome. I loved the waitresses and the owner.

Hmmm, sounds like a party.

4. POSTED BY walleroo  |  September 26, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I have to admit we haven’t gone there much for the past few years, ever since they served us green hamburgers (though the teenagers seems to love it, perhaps because I’m never there). But I think it’s time to forgive and forget. Everybody deserves a second chance. This is America!

5. POSTED BY Conan  |  September 27, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Best corned-beef hash in the area. Good luck, Gus snd Stavros, and save our booth for us. Yamas!

6. POSTED BY Bill Courson  |  October 02, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Anybody remember it when it was Louvis’ Char-Broil back in the 70′s and 80′s? Greek food once a month (“Greek Night”) and Moussaka and Pastitsio to die for! Those were the days!

7. POSTED BY elizabeth  |  November 08, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

I used to work here at the Montclair Diner. No way their french toast was frozen or the hamburgers were green. They are known for their burgers. Look who’s talking about cooking I’m sure some of you cook things in the microwave oven, frozen foods, canned foods, this wasy it’s a quicker and faster meal. No wonder Julia Childs started cooking to teach american women to cook!