Poll: What Are You Giving Up for Lent?

BY  |  Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 1:00pm  |  COMMENTS (28)

Lent (credit: athinorama.gr)

As part of the 40-plus days that make up the Lenten season  – a time to reflect on one’s mortality and lessen one’s attachment to worldly things — some Christians give up something they really like.  Foods, especially chocolate and other sweets, are probably the most common choices.

Newt Gingrich said he is giving up dessert; his wife, Callista, joked that she is giving up “my opinion.”  Rick Santorum said he was forgoing Italian foods, although he didn’t specify which ones.

Morrow Memorial United Methodist Church in Maplewood is joining other congregations worldwide to encourage its members to participate in the Ecumenical Lenten Carbon Fast, an initiative to reduce one’s individual carbon footprint.  Each day of Lent, the Church is posting a suggested carbon-reducing activity.  For instance, today is “Say no to bottled water and drink tap water.”

For the first time ever, the Pope will be tweeting every day throughout the Lenten season. As one of his Monsignors pointed out, “many of the key Gospel ideas are readily rendered in just 140 characters.” You can follow Pope Benedict XVI at @Pope2YouVatican. Today’s tweet was: “The Lenten season offers us once again an opportunity to reflect upon the very heart of Christian life: charity.”

Are you giving up anything for Lent?  Take our poll, and let us know in comments.  (And please keep the tone respectful and civil).

1. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  February 23, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Why do we care what Santorum and Gingrich are giving up or are we looking to start target practice again on conservatives? Christians do not necessarily have to give something up, some choose to make positive changes in their lives. It’s a personal issue.

2. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 23, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

Herb, it’s Lent. It’s topical. It’s not all about YOU. You can choose to ignore it and not say something stupid and then no one will attack you.

3. POSTED BY cmaynard  |  February 23, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

Herb, those were just two candidates I happened to read were giving up things for Lent – no target practice intended. You’re right, some folks resolve to do good works for the season rather than “giving up” something. We would be happy to hear from readers about that, too. Thanks!

4. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Whoa, JG trying to give me a smack down.ooo, ooo.

5. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

I thought it was funny, Carolyn.

For Lent this year, I am giving up Christianity.

6. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

I’m giving up contraception.

7. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Just buy a bottle of aspirin jerseygurl. I hear if you put it between your knees, it does the trick.

8. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Right, Gerogette. Only it’s not the bottle, that leaves a little too much wiggle room. You’re supposed to use one aspirin. I guess that’s why you have kids and I don’t!

9. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  February 23, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Damn! That’s why it didn’t work!

10. POSTED BY Randel McMurphy  |  February 23, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I used to be an Atheist but I gave it up for Lent.

11. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 23, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

I am giving up arguing about climate change and its causes.

12. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  February 23, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

aahhhhh, smarmy liberal elitist banter, I love it.

13. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  February 23, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

As the climate warms, the season of Lent will get longer and longer.

14. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 23, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Here’s some more for ya, herb. ( although I was not part of the “smarmy liberal banter” you referred to, being away from the computer today )

Job creation idea #1 comes from Japan: A 20,000 mile high space elevator.

Job creation idea #2 comes from Florida : Allow dwarf tossing to be legal again.

Darn that smarmy elitist inside me, herb, it’s predisposing me to prefer the first option, given the choice. And Lent or no Lent, I can’t shake it loose !

15. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  February 23, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

JG, instead of aspirin, may I suggest Necco Wafers. They’re a little bigger in diameter, and therefore a little easier for your knees to gain purchase.

16. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 23, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

Thin mints?

17. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 23, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

Ham and cheese on rye with Horseradish mustard?

18. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 23, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

walleroo, I just had one of those famous “The” sandwiches today from the Watchung deli. Bacon and pepper turkey, russian dressing, cheddar cheese all on a warm toasted roll.
    If I observed Lent, that would be one thing I would not give up.

19. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 23, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I hope you have a very good cardiologist, Spiro.

20. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  February 24, 2012 @ 12:33 am

Good luck, JG. Hopefully you’ll be a JerseyMom in 9 months.

21. POSTED BY jcunningham  |  February 24, 2012 @ 1:28 am

“aahhhhh, smarmy liberal elitist banter, I love it.”

—why not celebrate by giving your self a state mandated vaginal probe Herb?

22. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 24, 2012 @ 5:47 am

Thank you for your advice, walleroo. It is indeed a cholesterol overload to buy one of their sandwiches.
    But, as herb can tell you, silver-pony-tail types like Spiro typically restrict ourselves to the consumption of Whole Foods organic yams, fair trade brown rice, and insecticide free leafy greens from our own roof garden. We play Joni Mitchell tunes to our arugula seeds to help them grow into happier plants.

23. POSTED BY Conan  |  February 24, 2012 @ 7:08 am

As usual, I am giving up my New Year’s Resolutions for lent.
    And, Herbie, just about this time next November when JG may be embracing motherhood, you will be wallowing in the aftermath of a complete Obama landslide…

24. POSTED BY deadeye  |  February 24, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I was thinking of becoming a vegan, but I’m giving it up, cold turkey.

25. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  February 25, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

I wish the President would give up apologizing to people who are killing our soldiers.

26. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 25, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Indeed, ROC, he should shoot them like those Seals did !

27. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  February 25, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Me too, ROC!

Seems like its some sort of tradition or something:

28. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  February 25, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

Roc, aren’t you one of those folks who think flag burning should be a crime?
    So when we (mistakenly) burn their sacred books we shouldn’t apologize?
    What — it makes us weak?