Dick Clark Dead at 82

BY  |  Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 5:02pm  |  COMMENTS (19)

Dick Clark (photo by Alan Light)

Television legend Dick Clark died Wednesday morning of a heart attack, according to reports from The New York Times and other media outlets.

Clark, who originated “American Bandstand” and “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” on ABC, had entered a Santa Monica hospital for an outpatient procedure last night when he went into cardiac arrest. He is survived by his wife and three children.

1. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 18, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I don’t want to live in a world without Dick Clark.

2. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  April 18, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

This makes me sad.

3. POSTED BY Nellie  |  April 18, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

R.I.P., Dick. New Year’s Eve will never be the same.

4. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 18, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

New Year’s Eve, Nellie? I think the generation gap is showing. Back in the day, there was a old “portable” tv set (remember them?) with rabbit ears in the trainer’s office. We used to watch part of “American Bandstand” there before going to football practice. I had a great crush on Arlene Sullivan back then, if anyone remembers her. and a similar lust for Justine Carelli. (The high school regular dancers, sort of as if they werew precursors of the cast of “Jersey Shore,” became celebrities of a sort, and I remember how cool it was to see some of them on the Seaside Boardwalk come summer, signing autographs and enjoying themselves.)

And the original TV show, for some reason, was broadcast in two parts: a half-hour segment, something else for a half-hour and then an hour more.

And if anyone who reads this hasn’t seen either “Because They’re Young” or “Killers Three’ (Dick Clark in coke-bottle glasses, Robert Walker Jr. and Diane Varsi as Bonnie & Clyde types, tracked by Merle Haggard as Varsi’s state trooper brother or brother-in-law, with an inevitable ending), thenthey should not consider themselves either a true film buff or a qualified teacher of film. (Yes, prof Williams, this means YOU!)

A major chunk of my adolescence has been cruelly dispensed with. And Dick Clark did much better by far by America than, dare I say, someone like Carl Oglesby.

5. POSTED BY DagT  |  April 18, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

“It’s got a good beat and you can dance to it”. How else would you sum up the latest record? That would be Justine of the Justine and Bob dance team. Probably the best couple on Bandstand. I spent my teen years practicing their moves.

Rest in peace Dick Clark.

6. POSTED BY sunshine57  |  April 18, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

The Voice of a generation has been silenced. I can remember his voice from an early age as Bandstand played on our little black and white, and as I grew up,in color!. Along with the Pyramid, he was a constant presence most days of the week in my home. He always had a smile and always came on with a laugh and a new song to be sung by some new talent. For all of us who grew up with him, it is a very sad day. He started so many careers out on his show, gave us all so much entertainment in our lifetimes.
    Bye Bye Miss American Pie, the day the music died……………RIP Dick Clark.

7. POSTED BY debbiegoofus  |  April 18, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

bandstand…bandstand.

8. POSTED BY johnqp  |  April 18, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

Godspeed Dick, and Thanks.

9. POSTED BY debbiegoofus  |  April 18, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

i think barry manilow did the song.
    to tired to bing.

10. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  April 18, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

There are few more cloying and pretentious expressions, dare I say, than “dare I say”.

11. POSTED BY yougottalovehim  |  April 18, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Dick Clark and Don Cornelius. Brought a lot of music to a lot of people. RIP both of them. They made their mark.

12. POSTED BY debbiegoofus  |  April 18, 2012 @ 11:25 pm

bandstand…bandstand.

13. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  April 19, 2012 @ 12:24 am

You mean Blandstand?

14. POSTED BY debbiegoofus  |  April 19, 2012 @ 1:03 am

blandstand…blandstand.

15. POSTED BY Conan  |  April 19, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

One of the clips they ran last night on ABC was of Dick introducing Bill Haley and His Comets on Bandstand — that took me back to Alan Freed and the Brooklyn Paramount. Dick, thanks in part to you, the Rock and Roll generation ended the war in Vietnam, tore down the Berlin Wall, and our progeny — the social networking generation — are mostly responsible for the Arab Spring. Powerful stuff. Powerful change.

“So long, Dick!”

16. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 19, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

That was kind of a silly post, Conan. Especially coming from you. The “rock and roll generation” did not tear down the Berlin Wall, it imploded because Communism collapsed. And the “social networking” generation had pretty much zilch to do with the “Arab Spring” (though you certainly are big on tags).

Indeed, for the latter set of circumstances, I’d basically credit the Muslim Brotherhood and assorted other knots of Islamic fundamentalists.

Nor, of course, does the “Arab Spring” necessarily bode well either for the US or for the West in general or even for the cause of worldwide democracy.

Even Dick Clark wasn’t in a class by himself. In New York alone, we had Cousin Brucie, to cite another influential figure. And I’d bet almost every local TV and or radio market out there had its own local counterparts. (They must have had them, given how many YouTube clips there are of people like Buddy Holly appearing live on TV or at a sponsored record hop someplace that wasn’t NYC or LA.) It’s just that Dick Clark made more money than all the rest of them put together, and was obviously successful on a far grander scale than anyone rival could even dream of.

17. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 19, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

And there are few more pretentious posters than yourself, croiagusanam.

Try as I might, too, I can’t quite picture you ever doing the Twist or the Stroll. You’re not that emotionally limber, for one thing. (Nor, I believe, have you ever posted before, to the best of my recall, on American music. I somehow picture you glued to an old tube radio listening in your thatched cottage to scratchy recordings of John McCormack and “Irish rebel songs.”)

18. POSTED BY johnqp  |  April 19, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

“That was kind of a silly post, Conan. Especially coming from you. The “rock and roll generation” did not tear down the Berlin Wall ….”

Very True. Anyone with half a brain knows that the credit for that momentous occasion belongs to David Hasselhoff.

19. POSTED BY PAZ  |  April 19, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

I watched Dick Clark but I really got hooked on Jerry Blavat…”The geeter with the heater!”