It’s Peak Iris Season at Presby

BY  |  Friday, May 18, 2012 10:25am  |  COMMENTS (8)

The weather is perfect, and the irises are at their peak. If you don’t get to the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens this weekend, it’s not our fault. We’re telling you now: go.

The gardens now offer a self-guided mobile telephone tour (or you can listen here before you go), and there are picnic tables and benches for resting, artists to gawk at, plus hills and fields for letting the children let off steam. Don’t miss Fran Liscio’s fabulous show in the Walther House, where you’ll also find the Bloom Room stocked with irresistible goodies for gardeners, plus Presby’s award-winning Presbee honey. Here’s how it looked yesterday.

Presby is open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and a $5 donation is requested. It’s located at 474 Upper Mountain Ave., Montclair. More on visiting here.

1. POSTED BY sadie07  |  May 18, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Are dogs allowed? I can’t find any info about it on the Presby website.

2. POSTED BY Jenn  |  May 18, 2012 @ 11:24 am

My building’s super planted those same irises in the front yard. I know very little about plants, except the ones I eat, so I wasn’t completely sure of what they were. When I saw them for the first time a week or so ago, they made me tear up because I was having an especially awful day and they were just so beautiful.

3. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  May 18, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Love irises. I knew very little about them before I started visiting Presby. The whole science behind them is fascinating and amount of varieties and colors are truly amazing. As we’ve learned, you can split the bulbs in the fall and come spring, your iris population can double and triple. They seem pretty hardy, too, and the deer don’t really like them.

4. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  May 18, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Dogs on leashes are welcome, and they need to stay off the beds. My dog loves it there.

5. POSTED BY DagT  |  May 18, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

I love this garden. These flowers will always remind me of my mother. They were her favorites.

6. POSTED BY Holly Korus  |  May 18, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

And don’t miss the Bloom Room inside the house. Great gifts and Presby Honey.

7. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 18, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

Got these at the Bloom Room yesterday. $8 apiece.

8. POSTED BY PAZ  |  May 18, 2012 @ 11:17 pm