Poll: How Will You Spend Memorial Day Weekend?

BY  |  Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:00am  |  COMMENTS (9)

The holiday weekend is fast approaching, and Baristanet is wondering how readers plan to mark the occasion.

Monday will bring the time-honored tradition of parades.  We wrote about Bloomfield’s here last week. Glen Ridge has a traditional Memorial Day Parade that starts down Ridgewood Avenue at 11 a.m., followed by a Service of Remembrance at the Ridgewood Avenue School and then a festive town picnic. For details, click here.

Maplewood has a big parade as well as a famed Rubber Duck Race, where people “sponsor” rubber ducks that are dumped in the river in a slow float toward the finish line.

Montclair Township’s Memorial Day tribute is on Monday at 10:00 a.m., in Edgemont Park, with Deputy-Mayor Kathryn Weller-Demming presiding as MC and Rev. Edmund E. Martin of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church delivering the invocation, the blessing of the wreaths and the benediction. For more information, click here.

Some folks like to get away for the weekend and head to the beach or the countryside.  NJ Transit will run extra outbound trains and busses on Friday, on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex, and Port Jervis lines starting at approximately 1 p.m, and on Monday trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines.

It will help if the weather clears up; according to the National Weather Service, the sogginess should be gone by Saturday.

So what are your plans for the weekend? Vote in our poll, and tell us more in comments.

1. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  May 23, 2012 @ 9:13 am

herb will be at the parade… followed by multiple cocktails

2. POSTED BY PAZ  |  May 23, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

PAZ will be with camera in hand watching his offspring strut her stuff in the GRHS marching band.

3. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 23, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

I’ll be visiting two cemeteries to pay tribute to two men with whom I served in Nam, and I’m really surprised the Baristas didn’t include such a visitation as something specific to do this coming weekend. Since such remembrance is traditionally the true purpose of Memorial (or “Decoration”) Day.

4. POSTED BY yougottalovehim  |  May 23, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Cathar,

Every religious or patriotic holiday, without fail, you can be counted on for the required post that somehow Debbie and crew slighted someone somewhere by what they posted, how they posted it, what they said, how they said it, what order they posted in, or what they failed to say. It must be difficult to go through life carrying such a burden. On behalf of everyone who reads this site regularly, we collectively pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are and what crap the rest of humanity has become. God knows, your entire existence seems to be a cry for some kind of validation about how special you are.

I had good friends killed in Viet Nam. Neither I nor their families spend their time combing websites for perceived slights. People should go out and enjoy the day.

5. POSTED BY anne prince  |  May 23, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

Herb – after the parade I’ll be doing the same.

6. POSTED BY cathar  |  May 23, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

And every Memorial Day, yougotta…(but no, I don’t gotta), Baristanet’s crack editorial staff trivializes this upcoming holiday. Since you say friends of your own died serving their country, you might wish to bear this in mind, that the day has an intent well beyond the start of summer barbecue season. And yet, on the “poll” above, the sad reality of this intent is never referenced. We just apparently have fun, fun, fun in Baristaville, I suppose. This makes you feel good?

Of course, on this site everything usually gets trivialized to some degree or another at some point. Earl Slick, for example, was not injured when a car burst into flames. Whatever else occurred in this incident today, Earl Slick is just fine.

7. POSTED BY frobnitz  |  May 23, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Yougottalovehim: I’m sure Cathar was not “combing websites for perceived slights” as you posted. You said you had “good friends” who were killed in Viet Nam. How do you know what their families are feeling? Have they told you? I’m sure that along with enjoying the day, they are also remembering their family member who died in that “war.” I’m curious: Did YOU serve in Viet Nam? Korea? WWII? If you did, I apologize for my outburst.

8. POSTED BY Nellie  |  May 23, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

Cathar is right. I am guilty of thinking of Memorial Day as the beginning of summer, without acknowledging its real meaning. Since my dad was a veteran, I will make sure I visit the cemetery this weekend.

9. POSTED BY frobnitz  |  May 23, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

I did not intend to omit veterans of the military actions after Viet Nam. We should be grateful to all of our veterans.