Taste it Again Serves Up Jamaican in Bloomfield

BY  |  Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:30pm  |  COMMENTS (6)

Montclair South Enders may be missing Gags Caribbean, which closed this spring, but all they have to do is go down the hill to Bloomfield for a new favorite Jamaican restaurant.

Taste it Again, across from the Bloomfield Center redevelopment site, was started by Jacquline Warburton and Ivolett Bredwood, lifelong friends from Jamaica, in time for Bloomfield’s restaurant week in early March. Try the Ackee and Saltfish (“Jamaica’s National Dish” $13) and the tender Jerk Chicken ($10.50) and one of the homemade specialty drinks, like Sorrel (made from the herb) or ginger beer.

But vegetarians are advised to ask questions first, then order. The Stew Peas ($9) on the “vegetarian” menu contained chunks of beef.

The owners are friendly and welcoming and are now advertising breakfasts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Taste it Again is located at 271 Glenwood Ave., Bloomfield. 973.743.5140.

1. POSTED BY croiagusanam  |  May 30, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

“Taste It Again”?

Was this really the best name they could come up with?

Nevertheless, I love Jamaican and West Indian food and will be sure to try it.

2. POSTED BY Debbie Galant  |  May 30, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Kind of like Gags?

3. POSTED BY mtclibn42  |  May 30, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Or my personal favorite — “the Pit”

4. POSTED BY mimimichalski  |  May 30, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Names are important, for sure; I questioned the name of Gag’s and this one too, when I saw it. But thanks to a good review in Baristanet, I would like to try it! It sounds good!

5. POSTED BY magicwoman  |  May 31, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I agree. The name of the restaurant isn’t very appealing. May I suggest the name “Seconds, Please!” rather than Taste it Again. Yah man! I’ll check it out because I love Jamaican food, especially oxtail!!

6. POSTED BY candicane  |  June 08, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Actually, I did ask about the name when I first visited and was told “Once you taste it, you will want to taste it again and again” I totally agree. So far I’ve had the Jerk Chicken, the Oxtail and the Goat Curry. The also have and something that they serve with hearing that almost like cavier. All very good. I eat there every Friday. You might want to check it out before you knock it.

"Whether that whole municipal move thing really pans out money wise still remains to be seen." Uh, the Police Department move is going to happen. There is no Plan B. The only thing still open is the negotiation.