Fairway Opening Was Wow Wow Wow

BY  |  Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 6:00pm  |  COMMENTS (10)

Grocery store openings are not usually peak experiences for journalists. But this morning’s opening of the new Fairway Market on Rt. 46 in Woodland Park was something of an exception. I discovered this wasn’t going to be any ordinary opening during my first circle around the parking lot to find a space, and confirmed it when I passed a line of literally hundreds of excited customers, who started lining up at 8 a.m. in order to get a chance at free t-shirts and free shopping bags as well as an early peek at the grocery store when it opened at 11 a.m.

Grocery store? Did I say grocery store? Yes Fairway is a grocery store — you can buy milk there, and toilet paper — but it’s more like foodie playground of Costco-like size, with an olive oil tasting bar and barrels of coffee beans from all over the world, to name but two of the attractions. And now Baristavillians don’t have to travel all the way to Paramus for their Israeli Teriyaki.

And what grocery store opening on the 68th anniversary of D-Day would be complete without a few musical numbers by The American Bombshells?

Fairway Market is now open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily in the Kohl’s Shopping Center at 510 US 46 West and Browerton Rd. Visit their website here.

1. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  June 06, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Damn!!! I missed it. May need to go right now…..

(And while the from behind shot of the singers is fun…, Perhaps, for sound, you might want to be in front. Unless of course, this was offered as proof that Sir Mix-A-Lot was wrong.)

2. POSTED BY waltermitty  |  June 06, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

What kind of shopper shows up at the first day oft the new Fairway?

I guess those who were NOTat the opening of the Paramus Fairway.

I’ll give them aces days to sort it out. Then I will begin being a regular.

Montclair win. Shop Rite, A&P, Kings and Corrado’s loss.

3. POSTED BY oliver  |  June 06, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

I went, as I had errands to do in that direction anyway. I waited until after 12; it was still nuts. A claustrophobe’s worst nightmare, but more manageable once you got past the entrance and sampling area, where you would think you were in 1980s USSR.

Lovely, helpful staff. Produce didn’t look appreciably better than other stores’ offerings. Too crazy by the meat/fish/deli to give that a try.

I think I’ll go again, but I’m still a big Trader Joe’s fan. Neither store replaces ShopRite (for me) for the day-to-day grind of purchasing food (and Whole Foods is so much closer than both) but I prefer the “utiles of pleasure” that I derive from TJ’s. When, oh when, will we get one near us? Clifton? Please?

4. POSTED BY gifro220  |  June 06, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

profwilliams Good eye, I watched the clip to see if there was anything remarkable I could use to distinguish the performers, ie. if anyone actually were to attend a musical venue for any meaningful reason. Unfortunately there is no easy bus from MSU to reach the promised land. Grocery/Family food consumption expenses are a priority yet American businesses present quasi-diverse “whole paycheck” and inferior supermarket chains. Now if there were a way to not extended college graduate unemployment due to the lack of real ability and group-think debacle. Unfortunately “we” rely on gas, supermarkets, and a dating pool who accept gas, quasi-diverse “whole paycheck”, and inferior supermarket chains. God forbid anyone could do better than the group they’d think this were a really lousy place to live, of course this is an epicenter of modern civilization and too close to the “borders” where everyone’s forced to deal with the poor U.S. economic education and sparse success stories built upon the culture of an immature past. Can we age gracefully yet actually increase intelligence to a base proportional to that of the technology industry? A simple answer scary places like overpopulated China mock us with, as one day they will produce a market beast who can not only understand the black box but ruin our economy, Sorosesque. There are a few Americans who are quietly on their way to doing the math supplementary to that equation, yet they haven’t mastered the full weight of the Mathematics Field.

5. POSTED BY PAZ  |  June 06, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Gifro….You have entered the twilight zone of true enlightenment, that is the true scary place in one’s mindspace. You have stepped through the door into the adjustment bureau and there is no turning back, the veil has been lifted….You are a true Phillip K. Dickensian discipliest. Walk on, the future is yours, flawed math and all.
    Let the mindless masses shake their booties to the quasi-Andrew sisters as they swallow their no gain no pain killers. Soft yogurt for all, fracked olive oil bars, barrels of fake free trade coffee, soda…yes! Most of all soda in giant ounced geriboams to quench the stressed taste buds of the proles marching into the sun! You have arrived! The rest will fade away!
    PAZ….waiting at the bus stops…here.

6. POSTED BY gifro220  |  June 06, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

PAZ Need there be any retort for your unwarranted yet needlessly implied nanny state you’d realize green communities and intelligence supersede your contrived category theory. And the meaningless values you’ve assigned are unsourced are unquantifiable and leave you at a disadvantage with reality, you know the one where goods are sourced from producers and numbers and dollars are a unit of measurement and a store of value. Producers much like the faceless “booties”,nameless students who live on university food, and locals who surround and form the larger community around the University and across the world. Get Real.

7. POSTED BY kbanda  |  June 06, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

No wonder most of the rest of the world hates us. And wants to live here.

8. POSTED BY bannerchemical  |  June 07, 2012 @ 9:18 am

this is the best thread of comments to a baristanet story I can ever remember. gifro220, please give us more.

9. POSTED BY stu  |  June 07, 2012 @ 9:54 am

Can someone please translate what gifro220 just posted? I ran it through Babblefish and it took down their site.

10. POSTED BY PAZ  |  June 07, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Gifro…Get real? Why? I’m in your realm now. I’ve gotten real in the past to no avail. If you don’t think we are in a nanny state, your generation has their heads so far up their derrieres that when ya’ll yawn you see daylight and if you don’t believe me go check it out on your ipad. Why don’t you go wake up your fellow academics and get us out of this war or maybe you just think it’s just a game app on your get smart phone.
    PAZ….Waiting on line for my raw cheese.