At the Jersey Best Bites event at the Kings Market Cooking Studio last weekend where I represented Barista Kids, we sampled delicious Salad with Warmed Goats Cheese, followed by Chile Rubbed Salmon with Sweet Pepper, Lime and Cilantro Vinaigrette. You can find the recipes for these easy, quick recipes over on Baristanet. These delights were followed by a delicious dessert of Buttermilk Short Cakes with Berries.
We saved this Buttermilk Short Cakes with Berries recipe for the kids as the Short Cakes were so easy to make and kids love them. If you’re feeling healthy use Greek Yoghurt instead of the cream. As Jersey strawberries are finished for the season, you could use blueberries or raspberries instead.
Mini Buttermilk Short Cakes
24 x 1 ½ inch biscuits
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus some more for rolling
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ sticks cold sweet butter, cut into ½ “ pieces
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Process 30 seconds to blend and aerate. Add butter and process until flour resembles a course meal. Add buttermilk and pulse until dough forms. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Turn sticky dough onto a well-floured and knead lightly. Pat dough into a square and roll out to dough to ½ inch thickness. Fold dough in half and reroll lightly to 3/4”. Cut dough with well floured biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake biscuits for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 6 tbsp sugar (optional – I don’t think you need to add to either the berries of cream but I’m the odd one out)
- 3 cups heavy cream
Combine the berries with half the sugar. Whip cream to form light peaks. Add remaining sugar. Split biscuits and top bottom halves with 1 tbsp cream and 1 tbsp berries. Top with biscuit top and divide remaining berries and cream among the biscuits.