In Search of #NJGas

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 8:30am  |  COMMENTS (10)

The scene yesterday at Bloomfield Ave. and Elm Street, Montclair.
Photo: Ravenwood Photo

Today is another odd gas day in New Jersey, and we’re hearing reports on Twitter of shorter lines. For local gas news, search hashtag #njgas and #montclair or neighboring towns. The state has also set up numbers to report price gouging; (862) 209-0130 or (973) 220-3474

Shorter lines weren’t the case Saturday when odd/even first took effect at noon. Valero in Watchung Plaza was the only station open in Montclair. Valero didn’t have power, but got generators to pump gas to cars and canister holders. We got emails and tweets from people who spent time on the line, where there was amazing good spirit and even gas line kid entrepreneurs selling hot chocolate, which made my 2.5 hour wait to fill a five-gallon canister bearable. Take our poll and tell us your gas line war stories in comments:

1. POSTED BY redrum  |  November 05, 2012 @ 10:53 am

On Saturday, I drove an hour to upstate NY in search of gas. The 11th gas station I found was actually open/had gas, and I waited an hour in line. The jury is still out on whether or not this was worth it.

2. POSTED BY montyman  |  November 05, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Is the even/odd rule in effect for trick or treating today?

3. POSTED BY redrum  |  November 05, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Yes, houses with odd numbers will have candy today, and houses with even numbers will have candy tomorrow (11/6).

4. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  November 05, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Saturday I was an Odd Plate and waited in line for almost 2hours on the GSP and then the pump went dry. I then went to the Shell on JFK and only had to wait about 30 minutes before that pump went dry. I gave up, went home and searched #njgas. Finally around 10pm I drove out to Fairfield for this unicorn gas station on Passaic ave. On my way I found a gas station in Caldwell and the line wasn’t too bad. Waited about 25 minutes and filled right up. On sunday we took our even plate car to Costco in Clifton around 5:00am. The line wrapped around the building and onto the street but with 16 pumps it moved fast. We were back home by 6am.

5. POSTED BY Conan  |  November 05, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

I get gas just reading these stories.

6. POSTED BY theprimroseplath  |  November 05, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

I got gas in about ten minutes at the Exxon on the corner of 23 and Bloomfield Ave in Verona at about 4:30pm today.

7. POSTED BY theprimroseplath  |  November 05, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

There were about 20 cares ahead of me, but they have many pumps, and the Verona Police were doing an excellent job of keeping things running efficiently. Thankful they were there!

8. POSTED BY scott  |  November 05, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

I drove down to Woodbrigde today and no lines at all, and not enforcing the odd/even rule. Only 20 miles away

9. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  November 05, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I saw people handing out bottled water (for free) and helping people out. Now wasn’t the time to sell crap hot chocolate for a $1 a cup

10. POSTED BY spicoli  |  November 05, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

GSP southbound Brookdale rest stop (between Exit 153 and 151) had a 15 minute wait at 3:30 on Monday afternoon.

I am glad I was not the first to notice this paltry salary. This can be a dangerous job. It's not all about rescuing stray kitties from trees or chasing down someone's lost dog. You get called out to trap raccoons and other rabid animals. Also, you get the lovely job of removing dead deer and other animals from the road. And, you need to be on call. With that salary, you won;t even be able to afford a cage in an animal shelter.