Stock Up on Forever Stamps Before the Stamp Rate Increase This Weekend

BY  |  Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 1:30pm  |  COMMENTS (10)

2013 stamps

2013 stamps

Head over to the post office and stock up on stamps this week, because starting Sunday, January 27, a stamp will cost you $.46, a $.1 increase.

Make sure to purchase Forever stamps, which are good for mailing a one-ounce letter anytime in the future regardless of price changes. The post office will offer $46 cent stamps, which are good only until they increase the price again—and you know they will. Also on Sunday, the USPS unveil’s the first ever Global Forever stamp, a new international rate stamp for $1.10 that offers a single price for any First-Class Mail International 1-ounce letter to any country in the world.

Does anyone buy stamps anymore? Other than for holiday cards, I rarely need a stamp. We pay our bills online, which I also use for business payments. If on the rare chance I do have a package to send out, I bring it to the post office and just pay the rate.

How often do you use stamps? Do you even care about the stamp rate increase and what’s the lowest rate you can remember in your lifetime? I remember when they were $.10.

1. POSTED BY nutley  |  January 23, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

the post office is an outdated bloated federal mess – time for it to go the way of the pony express and the horse and buggy. cmon its PROGRESS.. privatize it.

2. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  January 23, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

I find that I am using them less and less, yes.There are still folks who don’t have a computer and/or don’t use email so I am glad the PO has not gone the way of the dinosaur just yet. Plus I do like receiving mail at times, such as my birthday! No bills, though. :-)

One thing that is annoying is that in last few years or so, mail boxes have been disappearing all over. Seriously, if you have a letter to mail and you don’t feel like making a trip to the PO, good luck with that.

3. POSTED BY redrum  |  January 23, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Blame Obama.

4. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  January 23, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

I just blame the times…people aren’t using mail services as much.

5. POSTED BY latebloomer  |  January 23, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Many people don’t know this, but a major reason the PO is in such dire straits is because a law was passed some years ago that requires that retirement benefits for postal workers be paid 75 YEARS IN ADVANCE! So the PO is paying for the retirement of workers who HAVEN’T EVEN BEEN BORN YET! Tell me how this makes sense.

6. POSTED BY raeven  |  January 23, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

The wedding industry is probably playing a large role in keeping the post office around. Wedding email invites just not the same as getting them in the mail.

7. POSTED BY cathar  |  January 23, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Since I like Hallmark and have been to KC where seemingly every third person works for the company, I still wish the USPS well.

But this, ah, pithy “item” only reminds me of how much better at this sort of thing “Hints From Heloise” is than Baristanet.

8. POSTED BY Nellie  |  January 23, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

Yikes! I still have some Thank-You notes from Christmas to wrie. Better get them off before Sunday!

9. POSTED BY caterwaiting  |  January 23, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

A $.01 increase, no? Not so sure I’m gonna run out and drop $100 into stamps to save $2.22…..

10. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  January 24, 2013 @ 7:35 am

AS much as I rely on the computer to pay my bills I still need to use the post office every week. I scan medical notes and email them to my employer but they still want the original, and the best way is to put a stamp on it.

As far as my memory of stamps, I can recall a stamp costing $.25 in 1990. I also remember having to put (2) 2 cent stamps when the price jumped to $.29 in 1991. Those were crazy times! Of course back then I was 11 years old and the only reason I went to the mail box was to send out my Columbia House CD order!