Get Busy! National “Please Take Your Christmas Decorations Down Day” is Saturday, February 2

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 7:37am  |  COMMENTS (19)

Please Take Down Your Christmas Decorations DayPsst…pass it on. We’re issuing an unofficial proclamation. The first Saturday of February is now national “Please Take Your Christmas Decorations Down Day.” Why? Because it’s time. A reader with a heightened sensitivity to crispy-dry Christmas wreaths writes…

There is a wreath on every other front door. How do folks walk on/out of their home every day without it occurring to them to simply pull it down? At least unplug the outdoor lights. And that’s another thing – folks who never take down their lights.

Dear reader, those folks are probably the ones who voted for taking down decorations by Valentine’s Day.

Downtown Montclair still has its halls decked, but we saw some workers struggling against yesterday’s high winds to remove a wreath from a light pole on Bloomfield Ave. We asked Montclair BID’s Luther Flurry if he would be observing Please Take Your Christmas Decorations Down Day.

“Our target is this week for street level and next week for the skyline,” says Flurry. “Last year we took everything but the skyline over Bloomfield down by the twelfth night (Jan 6) and were faulted for bleak streets in January.”

What is the state of your block? Are you still seeing Santa, wreaths and lights?

1. POSTED BY lucylee  |  February 01, 2013 @ 8:47 am

I really don’t understand why this should bother anyone else. Why the public scolding about what you do to decorate your own house? If having a wreath up or lights on to cheer you during the dark winter months I say keep them up. It might help the reader to learn the history of the wreath and its use throughout the winter. “The circular wreaths and it’s candles are pre-Christian, and actually an old Pagan tradition that originated with the ancient Celtic people of Germany and Scandinavia. These people worshiped the rhythms of the earth with the sun being central in importance to them. During the Winter Solstice the Celts prayed for the sun’s return and the reassurance that spring was coming. The center of these rituals was a living wreath. The wreath was traditionally formed with evergreens. It symbolized the unending circle of life and rotation of the seasons. The evergreen was used as it’s part of the earth that survives winters cold weather and darkness. ” Live and let live I say :)

2. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 01, 2013 @ 8:50 am

But Lucylee, surely we must agree that the Bart Simpson and Santa blow-up dolls played no part in Celtic tradition and must come down at once! :-)

3. POSTED BY lucylee  |  February 01, 2013 @ 8:54 am

I’ll concede that! But a little evergreen never hurt everyone ;)

4. POSTED BY caphilly  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:09 am

And the year round lights are wonderfully festive and joyous to see!

5. POSTED BY kay  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:17 am

I confess. Our lights and bows are still up in front, mainly because (a) hubby threw out his back and (b) I don’t play well with ladders. Most of the time the lights are off, however, mainly out of embarrassment. I must admit I think they look pretty and there are other houses around that are still lit up, so Maybe I will leave them on to celebrate Super Bowl Sunday, and then pull the plug for good. So I need a pass til February 4th please.

6. POSTED BY abishag  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:25 am

How about a “National Leave Us Alone to Be Free” Day? I read in the paper yesterday that Sen Gill had passed a no-auto-idling law for our betterment. Does everyone in government think we elect them to be our nagging nannies? Supposedly if you idle your car for more than 10 seconds, you get a ticket. I assume she’s never waited at a light to cross Bloomfield Ave. Several are at least 3-4 minutes. No doubt she thinks this will speed the end of the world. All for the greater good of less carbon. Could we just be let alone?

7. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:31 am

As far as I’m concerned, Christmas decorations can stay up all year. They are atmospheric and uplifting.
    But to abishag’s post, on the other hand, idling is disgusting, and should be regulated, since it has about as much redemptive value as second hand cigarette smoke.

8. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:37 am

The Estate is adorned with LED icicles that provide a soft glow on the street side of the wrap-a-round porch. Much nicer than the ghostly, dead stare of the compact florescent.

I was so taken with the lovely light last year, that I removed them only when they died (July). So I have NO intention of taking them down.

9. POSTED BY dane  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:37 am

I thought that like the tree at the start of Church Street (which is still illuminated as of two nights ago), these are HOLIDAY decorations. You know, just for the winter season which last time I looked was still in progress. ;-)

10. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  February 01, 2013 @ 9:47 am

lucylee, the wreath was indeed celebrated on the winter solstice. The solstice is not a season, it is one day.
    Dane, yes they are Holiday trees, and Holiday decorations. These Holidays we speak of are in December. We are not celebrating President’s day with a holiday tree.

With that said, I don’t mind the wreaths. To each is own.

11. POSTED BY Annette Batson  |  February 01, 2013 @ 10:16 am

My decorations came down yesterday!

12. POSTED BY Howard Beale  |  February 01, 2013 @ 11:53 am

I’m just getting around to putting mine UP!

13. POSTED BY Montclair Lover  |  February 01, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

What if we think of these things as “ways to light/color up the long dark drab winter?”

14. POSTED BY idratherbeat63  |  February 01, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

Maybe we should fine people for not taking them down? Or maybe fine them for not having put them up? And what about those crooked wreaths that are really annoying? Better check the living rooms too in case some diehards are still enjoying Christmas decorations behind closed doors.

15. POSTED BY kay  |  February 01, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

You know, I am now thinking that maybe it’s my solemn duty to leave mine lights up and plugged, just to make the nabe a little more cheery. Hm.

As to idling, if that law would prevent me from sitting through an eternity of cycles at the intersection of Hoover and JFK in Bloomfield then I am All-For-It!

16. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 01, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

Yes, driving up Hoover toward E. Passaic with St. Val’s on your left. May be the longest traffic light in Mtc, Blfd, GR.

I listened to an entire half inning of a Mets game once.

17. POSTED BY kay  |  February 01, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

Going all the way around and coming *back* to that intersection through Nutley is faster!! :P

18. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 01, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Through Nutley? I’m afraid some here wouldn’t approve.

19. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 02, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Many years ago I put up an arbor on the side of my house. Years later I started to put white lights on it lasting from the winter solstice to the Spring equinox. As terrorism rose and then the recession hit and world stress ignited, I decided to leave them lit all year long. In the winter it is festive bringing some kind of hope and in the summer it lights the patio as we dine al fresco while we chase away the Glen Ridge mosquitos with our Off candles and tiki torches.
    Let the Holiday season be year round at least on our exteriors.