Glen Ridge’s Bergmanson to Run for Governor, Again

BY  |  Friday, Feb 08, 2013 3:00pm  |  COMMENTS (13)

Glen Ridge's Bergmanson to Run for Governor, AgainFormer Glen Ridge Mayor Carl Bergmanson has announced his plans to take on Barbara Buono in the Democratic primary for Governor. Bergmanson also ran against Gov. Jon Corzine in the 2009 primary after an unsuccessful effort to recall Corzine. Bergmanson finished second, with 9 percent of the vote.

Bergmanson, who calls himself a “fiscally responsible” Democrat, announced his intention to run in a radio interview with Jim Gearhart today. He told Gearhart that beating Buono was “an uphill battle,” but that he couldn’t just stand by and watch property taxes grow out of control.

“Property taxes have gone through the roof,” he said. “And almost nothing has been done to ameliorate that problem.”

1. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 08, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

(Surely there’s a better picture of Mr. Bergmanson. I don’t know much about GR politics, but I respect any person who stays involved in politics. So I look forward to lively debate and coverage.)

2. POSTED BY Liz George  |  February 08, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

New picture!

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 08, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

That’s much better Liz, thanks. Perhaps you should make a gallery of Carl photos. One from his DUI arrest last year, that shot of him in bed with that Japanese inflatable doll, a screen grab from the surveillance video when he robbed that 7-11 in Secaucus…

Just kidding! Carl has never been photographed doing any of these things… to my knowledge.

4. POSTED BY kay  |  February 08, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

Yay, Mayor Carl! Anyone who can use the word “ameliorate” properly in a sentence gets my vote! ;P and if you’re not successful, you can move into my guest room and run for Mayor of Montclair…

5. POSTED BY cathar  |  February 08, 2013 @ 8:00 pm

A quixotic and doomed run, Ms. Buono will duly become the official sacrificial lamb. (Everything I’ve heard from her lately, anyway, it makes her sound sort of stupid and stubborn about it. Devotedly liberal, too, but as Corzine’s re-election bid proved, the perfect sort of BlueWaveNJ candidate is destined to flop everywhere else in the state.))

Carl Bergmanson might indeed make a better lieutenant governor on the Christie team. And it’s a nice path to higher office eventually, Carl.

6. POSTED BY Carl Bergmanson  |  February 09, 2013 @ 12:54 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone – Pat, I also like that picture – I think it was taken on my last day as Mayor.

7. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 09, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Good luck, Carl!

8. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  February 09, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Carl – looks to be the one on your Linkedin profile and also from here (2008). Good luck – I’ll be voting for you!

9. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 09, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Awesome news, just saw this. Wishing you the best, Carl.

10. POSTED BY cathar  |  February 09, 2013 @ 10:25 am

It’s hard to wrap one’s brain round the concept that Buono will actually be the gubernatorial candidate of the Democrats, politically distinguished the lady is not. But “Bergmanson’s the one” also does not work, either, and while he’s a nice and smart and witty guy, he probably has zero chance to win the nomination.

So all these wishes of good luck ring a little hollow. From quondam “friends” at best. Why not, instead, Carl, run against Nia Gill or that “adviser” to Obama that the proprietors of this site have clearly decided is the new equivalent to the Mahdi? Or for the Congressional nod? Either one, Carl, I’d gladly cross party lines to vote for you.

11. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 09, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

Good luck, Carl. You’ve got the marsupial vote.

12. POSTED BY Conan  |  February 09, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

THe problem is, Carl, that the previous candidates and incumbents all believe that ameliorate means “to add on.” And even though I am no longer a New Jersey resident you can count on me to vote early and often for you. Or, if you prefer, I am pretty sure I can get access to the software that counts the ballots. Either way, you da man!

"Whether that whole municipal move thing really pans out money wise still remains to be seen." Uh, the Police Department move is going to happen. There is no Plan B. The only thing still open is the negotiation.

New Jersey Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com
Click here to add this map to your website.