Twist Adds a Bakery

BY  |  Friday, Feb 01, 2013 1:30pm  |  COMMENTS (5)

twist frozen yogurtTwist Frozen Yogurt has a new twist: the froyo shop, which opened up on Montclair’s South Park Street last summer, has teamed up with EuroPan Bakery Cafe to offer a full-service bakery with pastries, cakes, cookies, breads, cupcakes, coffee and more.

According to Twist’s owner, Brandon Strahl, the bakery will take up one side of the store and the yogurt the other. He says the “gourmet, cafe environment” will be featuring both banquette seating and cafe tables.

Strahl acknowledged the abundance of frozen yogurt shops in the area, but says that Twist does things differently. “We’re a family-oriented business: our interior is built for comfort, there is no blasting music. We get the kids and the moms because our store is bigger, child safe and friendly.”

He added that Twist has New Jersey’s largest number of toppings bar–more than 85 selections that include fresh fruit, sauces, nuts.

Adding to frozen yogurt deluge is Razz Berry Swirl, which recently opened at 197 Bellevue Ave., a spot that has had a lot of turnover in recent years. Grid Iron Waffles, which also has a location in South Orange, was the previous tenant and closed early last year.

Photo: James Fitzhenry

1. POSTED BY ihateplaydates  |  February 01, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

Bakery or not, I’m never taking my kids there again. While my daughter was picking out her flavors, the two workers were watching a highly-sexual, misogynistic video, blaring the music (full of obscenities) really loud. I was stunned, and asked them to turn it off–it took them a few minutes. My daughter is 9; I’m assuming many of their customers are children. What were they thinking? There are so many other yogurt places…(and bakeries).

2. POSTED BY theprimroseplath  |  February 01, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

Playdates, that’s the least of their issues. I went there once. My first cup of yogurt came out runny and melted. I had to show them and get another cup. The flavors I got tastes artificial, almost purfume-like. The toppings we’re the only redeeming quality, but I like the toppings/flavors at Let’s Yo (my fav.) and Red Mango (former fav.) much better.

3. POSTED BY cheesewhiz  |  February 02, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

I like Lets Yo. The frozen yogurt tastes great and the kids like the ipads. And I always find parking in their lot.

4. POSTED BY flower  |  February 03, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

I’ve been there a couple of times. I liked the yogurt, it was comfortable and I am glad they opened a bakery. My only concern is the “highly sexy” videos. I took my grandchildren there and the music videos seemed inappropriate for young children. I assume they want to cater to the young adult crowd. I would like to continue patronizing but I don’t want to subject my grandchildren to the “sexy” videos.

5. POSTED BY sweettooth  |  February 04, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

They are “child safe?” As opposed to the yogurt places where they are running with scissors?