DeCamp: Are Bus Drivers Still Multi-Tasking?

BY  |  Monday, Mar 04, 2013 8:26am  |  COMMENTS (24)

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

DeCamp: Are Drivers Still Multi-Tasking?Remember the DeCamp bus driver caught doing paperwork while driving?

A tipster writes to report of a DeCamp driver who punches tickets while driving with his forearms. The tipster says he sent photos to Tom Pard, president of DeCamp, but has never received a response. Says the tipster: “The driver is not wearing his seat belt and is punching tickets and doing paper work, all while driving with his forearms, on Grove St and on Valley Rd.”

Baristanet reached out to a contact at DeCamp, but have not received a response. Last November, a passenger shared video of a DeCamp bus driver doing paperwork at the wheel while driving down a busy roadway in Kearny with CBS New York.

DeCamp riders — are you seeing any multi-tasking or otherwise dangerous driving practices when you ride?

1. POSTED BY reman  |  March 04, 2013 @ 8:50 am

I live on Park St (between Watchung and Chestnut) where the speed limit is 25 MPH, I have been on the bus and observed the DeCamp drivers going in excess of 50 MPH down Park Street. Complete disregard for pedestrians and local traffic laws. They should be shut down.

2. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  March 04, 2013 @ 8:57 am

I have not observed any multi-tasking on my route (280 Express). I know I’ll regret saying this but service has actually improved in the last couple of months, on the Port Authority end as well as the West Orange end. I don’t know if someone had a good talkin’ to or if my “sit-in” protest and lengthy missive to Joey D. did the trick (ha ha!) or what but whatever. Also, the buses seem less crowded in the morning, not sure why this is.

What hasn’t changed are some mechanical issues: break downs, broken seats, non-working reading lights, a hatred of shock absorbers. We can only dream.

3. POSTED BY tomaso4  |  March 04, 2013 @ 9:57 am

I live on park street between Chestnut and Walnut and I have seen the DeCamp buses going at least 40 and they seem to stop almost everywhere without much warning. I have also seen them twice jump the light to make a left turn (not on park) which no bus should ever do.

4. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  March 04, 2013 @ 10:39 am

Does being surly and incompetent at the same time count as multi-tasking? Because if so, then yes, nearly every day.

5. POSTED BY townie  |  March 04, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

I was on a DeCamp bus recently and noted, as tomaso4 wrote above, that the bus stopped very frequently along one stretch, picking up people at seemingly every cross-street along Valley Road. People are too lazy to walk the block or two to the designated stops and have come to expect this convenience.

I also watched as the driver bounced out of his seat and onto the sidewalk in Upper Montclair to assist an elderly passenger.

Sometimes multitasking is just eagerness to provide excellent customer service and to get us to our destinations as quickly as possible.

6. POSTED BY ecoaster  |  March 04, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

The main complaint I would have about some drivers is speeding, including on the highway / Rt. 3.

7. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 04, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

Never had a problem on the Decamp line.

8. POSTED BY wildwoodben  |  March 04, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

25,234 passengers never had a problem. We win. Number one question I hear: how long does it take to get to NYC? Fast is good to most people apparently. Just don’t sit in the front right seat if worried. It’s the best ride in town.

9. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  March 04, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

Hey herb, if you get bored with your current job, consider driving a bus for Decamp. You’re probably the best known multi-tasker on Baristanet. ( Just make sure to give Spiro a discount.)

10. POSTED BY wildwoodben  |  March 04, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Bus driving does not require non-surliness, it is not measured on the licensure exam. Surliness is often mistaken for paying attention to what one is doing and ignoring other influences. Be glad DeCamp exists and gets it done many times a day.

11. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  March 04, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

I have often thought that driving a bus in an older metropolitan area with inadequate roads and a surfeit of really stupid drivers must be the worst job in the world. Worse than roto-rooting, being a nursing home aide, a trash or a debt collector, a miner, an abestos abatement contractor, you name it. The Worst Job.

12. POSTED BY Nellie  |  March 04, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

Announcer: And what do you do for a living, Mr. Kramden?

Ralph Kramden: I brive a dus…I dus a brive..

Ed Norton?????

13. POSTED BY sheepy  |  March 04, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

I love Sal.

14. POSTED BY deadeye  |  March 04, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

I could roll a joint while steering with my knees.

15. POSTED BY sheepy  |  March 04, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

You’re back in my bucket Pat!

16. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  March 05, 2013 @ 12:50 am

Please, no negative articles about Decamp and bus service in general

Sincerely
    Those who are smart enough to take the train and don’t want it to ever become the disaster that is bus transportation into NYC.

17. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 05, 2013 @ 7:41 am

spiro, you have obviously seen me driving down Bloomfield Ave, reading the boxscores in the NY Post, drinking a coffee, eating a bagel AND YES, talking on my cell phone. Thats because I am a far far superior driver than most. Honestly, driving laws shouldn’t apply to me because I’m that good.

18. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  March 05, 2013 @ 8:14 am

Indeed, herb. You’re the guy on the unicycle, right?

19. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 05, 2013 @ 8:18 am

thats not a unicycle , heh, heh.

20. POSTED BY kay  |  March 05, 2013 @ 9:30 am

Herb, that was You??!! In that case my apologies for honking and calling you names! LOL

21. POSTED BY Robert Andres  |  March 05, 2013 @ 10:17 am

DeCamp buses use their “Jake” brakes on a regular basis, as in every time they slow down let alone come to a stop. Jake brakes are engine braking systems that make the loud, illegal noise you hear emanating from the DeCamp buses. The use of these brakes in non dangerous situations is against NJ DEP laws and most all locality noise laws. DeCamp has it’s drivers use the noise polluting “Jake” brake so as to reduce real brake wear which would cost them money! Please tell your DeCamp buses to stop the use of the “Jake”brake.

22. POSTED BY kay  |  March 05, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

I just looked up Jake Brake, very interesting! I have heard that sound numerous times emanating from Walnut Street coming down from Park, but can’t say for sure it’s a bus…. used to hear it from the trucks on the freeway near where I grew up … I had always thought the sound was just due to a failure to downshift.

23. POSTED BY wildwoodben  |  March 06, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Be glad the driver is practiced in using the brake options, in case of an emergency that skill will save pain and suffering. And, by saving on maintenance costs (“costing them money”), fares can remain as they are as long as possible without added pressure for increasing them. Support your local businesses. It is good for everyone.

Montclair is relatively heterogenous and, it could fairly be said, takes pride in its diversity. Has Montclair named a street or school after Dr. King? Why is that?