Montclair PNC Bank Robbed at Claremont and Park (Updated – Surveillance Photo)

BY  |  Monday, Apr 22, 2013 3:12pm  |  COMMENTS (23)

Surveillance photo of robbery suspect, PNC Bank, Montclair, 4/22 (click to enlarge)

The PNC Bank at Claremont and Park Street in Montclair was robbed today and the suspect (pictured from surveillance camera), brandished a gun and got away with an undisclosed amount of money

Montclair PNC Bank Robbed at Claremont and ParkMontclair Detective Bureau Commander Lt. Angel L. Roman confirmed at the scene that the robbery suspect was described as wearing a dark hoodie and a mask. A witness said he fled on foot towards Bloomfield Ave. The witness lost sight of the suspect, who was carrying a green bag, at Montague Place. The suspect is described as a light-skinned male, either white or Hispanic, thin, at least 5’8″ in height. Detective Roman then released a detailed description and photos:

On 04/22/2013 at 1423 hours, Montclair police responded to a Bank Robbery in progress. Actor above, described as thin and at least 5’8 in height, entered PNC on Park Street at Claremont Avenue and pointed the above handgun at the teller. He placed a green bag on the counter and demanded the tellers fill it with large bills. He threatened to shoot if they did not hurry and began counting backwards from thirty. He then grabbed bag and ran out of the bank. Witnesses observed the actor run south on Park Street onto the West side of the street. They lost sight of him as he approached Montague Place. The actor was described as wearing a black or dark grey hoody. Some witnesses described it as hunter green camouflage type color. Hood covered his head. He was wearing a mask runner’s use in cold weather. It covers face with only the eyes exposed. Undetermined amount of cash was stolen. Anyone with information contact the Montclair Police or the FBI at 973 792 3000.

pnc montclair bank robbery suspect

1. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 22, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

Been a long time since I handled a handgun, but the cylinder on the perp’s revolver looks suspiciously large. It’s longer than the actual gun barrel, and oddly “fat.” So I suspect it’s thus actually either a starter’s pistol or a nautical flare gun. (Which would still be dangerous at close range.)

2. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  April 22, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

Definitely not a starter pistol. Looks like it might be a ‘Taurus Judge’ revolver which can shoot shotgun shells and .45 caliber cartridges.

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 23, 2013 @ 12:01 am

You guys are scaring me. Though I like the idea of the bank robbers using a nautical flare gun.

4. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  April 23, 2013 @ 5:29 am

I think an interesting fact that could perhaps make this post more interesting is how much money this guy got away with. It seems like such an obvious thing to include in a story where a bank was robbed.

5. POSTED BY Liz George  |  April 23, 2013 @ 6:34 am

“Undetermined amount of cash was stolen.”

Right now, they’re not saying.

6. POSTED BY Alan  |  April 23, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I was wondering about that cylinder as well.

Sure looks like a Taurus Model 4410 Judge, based on Google image searches.

7. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 23, 2013 @ 9:45 am

Oksy, I looked up the Taurus Judge (with some unease that posters seem rather familiar with such a weapon). Maybe that’s indeed what it is, but then how on earth did a hood know/get hold of such a piece? Local bank robbers are not generally assumed to be up on the latest in armament, nor that bright in the first place.

I also wonder how the NRA defends this sort of handgun. I can’t even see law enforcers having any conceivable use for it. Wyatt Earp holding off a lynch mob at close range, yes. But nobody else.

8. POSTED BY willjames  |  April 23, 2013 @ 10:09 am

“The Taurus Judge is ideal for short distances–where most altercations occur…[it is] one decision-maker that lays down the law.” (p. 13 of the Taurus catalog, here: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/2013_taurus_catalog.pdf ; also check out their PR spiel for concealed carry on page 3.)

The Judge is Taurus’s best-selling handgun. It’s widely and legally available. In this “no federal background check” environment, it was probably pretty easy for this guy to obtain this weapon in a technically-legal manner.

9. POSTED BY Conan  |  April 23, 2013 @ 11:25 am

“Undetermined amount of cash was stolen.”

…and a future draft choice and a player to be named later.

10. POSTED BY nutley  |  April 23, 2013 @ 11:47 am

Cathar: So now a 6-shot revolver is too much gun for you lib gun grabbers to allow civilians to own for self defense? This is a pretty common self-defense weapon. I am pretty sure the NRA didn’t think they needed to defend personal ownership of a REVOLVER, but apparently so.

11. POSTED BY nutley  |  April 23, 2013 @ 11:49 am

correction – it is a 5-shot revolver.

12. POSTED BY Alan  |  April 23, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

I actually had no knowledge of it. I just Googled “handgun elongated cylinder” and the Taurus Judge was one of the first images that popped up.

13. POSTED BY Howard Beale  |  April 23, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

Did nutley just call Cathar a lib?

14. POSTED BY hrhppg  |  April 23, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

I read that too Howard. It’s like reading gravity is a myth.

15. POSTED BY nutley  |  April 23, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

well sorry i have no idea who cathar is..

based on someone making a ridiculous anti-2nd amendment claim saying “no one needs a taurus judge”, and how could the NRA defend this one, id say thats about as left wing of a statement as can be.

I guess this bank was a “gun free” zone?

16. POSTED BY State Street Pete  |  April 23, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

Oh nutley, thank you. The fact that you would call out one of our most right leaning residents as a “lib” for suggesting that *gasp* a super high powered hand gun should not be available to the public no matter how redicuolously dangerous just demonstrates how far off the rails the pro-gun folks have gone. Just juicy.

17. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 23, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

Nutley, the Taurus Judge is hardly just a “revolver.” It seems to be a particularly vicious form of crowd-control weapon, the sort of thing that’d have been favored by either Mugabe’s minions or the Boer brutes who used to patrol the black townships in South Africa under Verwoerd, and no, I don’t think it should be sold under any circumstances.

As for calling me a “lib,” well then, I take absolute delight in terming you as an apparently hapless and prone to wild frothing gun nut. Who thus gives responsible gun ownership – and there certainly is such a thing – a bad name.

Now, sir or madam, go suck on your Taurus Judge.

18. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  April 23, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

The TJ must pack one heck of a recoil. I like my S&W AirLite .38 caliber revolver for home protection. It’s lightweight and simple. I really want to get an AR-15 for potential zombie apocalypse; I wouldn’t want fight them up close and would prefer to pick them off from my bedroom window.

19. POSTED BY walleroo  |  April 23, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

Ahhhhh. I just wanted to savor that.

In my how many years of posting here–could it be 9? could it? Liz? I need help! help me, Liz!–I have never seen a projectile so far off its ballistics.

20. POSTED BY cathar  |  April 23, 2013 @ 11:33 pm

Very funny, walleroo. Very. But I’ve been called worse, as I’m sure you’ll understand. I suspect “Nutley” simply isn’t a responsible conservative of the sort I genuinely wish there were more of.

21. POSTED BY Liz George  |  April 24, 2013 @ 6:32 am

Almost nine years Walleroo!

22. POSTED BY zephyrus  |  April 24, 2013 @ 7:55 am

Q. If people who are opposed to the proliferation of guns are all automatically ‘libs’ does that mean that all people from Nutley are all ‘nuts’?

A. No; that would be too easy.

23. POSTED BY nutley  |  April 26, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

“It seems to be a particularly vicious form of crowd-control weapon”

What the hell are you talking about?

It’s a 5 shot revolver that accepts bullets and/or 410 shotgun shells (miniature shotgun shells). 5 shots doesn’t seem like a crowd control WMD as you imply.

I can assure you i’m no “gun nut”. I assume cathar is some “compassionate” george bush / john mccain style neo-conservative who acts as some false counter balance to the liberal montclair residents.