Last Night: Church Street, Montclair

BY  |  Friday, Aug 09, 2013 4:34pm  |  COMMENTS (9)

jamal and friendsIt seems like someone is always filming something around town (right now it’s a JC Penney commercial at Montclair High School).

Last night, Fresco on Church was caught on camera, as co-owner Franco Porporino celebrated his birthday with guests including Jamal Woolard (best known for playing The Notorious B.I.G.) and masked waiters. Woolard performed for the crowd and cameras followed Porporino, who we hear is being filmed for a yet-to-be named reality show.

What camera crews have you seen around town? Any celebs?

waiters

Fresco owners and brothers Robert and Franco Porporino

Fresco owners and brothers Robert and Franco Porporino

Fresco's Franco Porporino, Karma for a Cure's Margaux Minutolo and Jamal Woolard

Fresco’s Franco Porporino, Karma for a Cure’s Margaux Minutolo and Jamal Woolard

1. POSTED BY El Grizzo  |  August 09, 2013 @ 6:07 pm

There was a crew at Watchung Plaza for a Verizon commercial yesterday. True.

They were originally going to film on Mission Street, but their insurance company asked them to move locations given higher risks in the area. Well, maybe not.

2. POSTED BY theprimroseplath  |  August 10, 2013 @ 12:35 am

I found the piece on Brookdale’s faux-cronut more riveting than this.

3. POSTED BY lauren  |  August 10, 2013 @ 6:04 am

Should I know who Porporino is? Should I care? Don’t know whether to feel out of the loop or disappointed this is considered news in my community.

4. POSTED BY claremont  |  August 10, 2013 @ 8:42 am

I feel the same as the other commentators on this, who cares who these guys are? They seem to be the “takers” type of people as opposed to Montclair folks who just try and serve the community. Just look at the sidewalk and the “valet parking” Didn’t know Montclair allowed public space to be used by private business folks!!!!!

5. POSTED BY Montclair Lover  |  August 10, 2013 @ 9:45 am

I can’t wait to watch the “reality” that cameramen who followed Franco Porporino around captured!

6. POSTED BY El Grizzo  |  August 10, 2013 @ 10:18 am

I wish that the management from Tosca would come back and go back to the old menu.

For food at both Tosca and now Fresco has always been great. The kitchen staff is still the same. I always preferred the Italian tapas style menu to the monster portions they serve now.

But the attitude at the new restaurant has changed, as you can see from the photo above.

The new owner is a total dweeb who is try to turn a former great space into a filming location for Jersey Shore. Every time he’s there, Snooki and the Situation lookalikes come out in droves. He seems like a total poser. What a dork!

Don’t believe me? Try going there.

I would stop going back, but the food is still really good. I always liked the kitchen and the rest of the staff.

But I go there much less. Go away dweeb!

7. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  August 10, 2013 @ 10:59 am

“They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.”

Whatver that means.

8. POSTED BY nonfatwithwhip  |  August 11, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

This was in Montclair? This kind of scene used to be kept within the borders of Totowa, Lyndhurst, Clifton and the Caldwells.

9. POSTED BY zephyrus  |  August 12, 2013 @ 10:52 am

“Your birthday’s coming up.”

“Yeah, yeah , I know. Look, I know that you’re planning to surprise me with something crazy, but please! All I want is a low-key night of close friends and waiters dressed in masks, the actor who played Biggie Smalls, and bikini clad ladies. Something discreet, you know? ”