Montclair Post Office Giving New Meaning to the Term Snail Mail

BY  |  Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 9:30am  |  COMMENTS (58)

Montclair Post Office If you live in Montclair and haven’t been getting your mail on a daily basis lately, you’re not alone. I didn’t get delivery for two days last week and many residents have reached out to us complaining of the same issue.

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds,” — It seems that Montclair letter carriers aren’t that big on creeds.

“There are no short cuts for our carriers. They can’t walk on lawns, they have to walk the narrowed shoveled paths. It takes a lot more time,” he said.

Fulcher said the snow has caused an even greater issue —they are short carriers because of injuries and sickness. Other carriers are having to pick up the slack on top of the weather conditions.

Fulcher says he feels positive that it will improve, given the warm up coming this week to melt the snow.

I feel for the carriers, I do. Working in these conditions is not easy. Still, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that the mail service in Montclair, in my experience, has never been great. I’ve lived in town for 11 years and deal with mail issues regularly.

How has your mail service been? And if you don’t live in Montclair, how has your mail service been?

(Photo: Flickr)

1. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:06 am

I didn’t get delivery for two days last week…

Don’t mess with Georgette. At least not with her junk mail.

2. POSTED BY mtclibn42  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:21 am

It’s good to know that I’m not alone in dealing with this problem. I sympathize with the postal workers and the impact that the snow has had on their delivery service. However, my recent problems with mail delivery began a few weeks before the heavy snow fall and are bizarre in deed. I’ve been receiving mail addressed to a local church and very little mail addressed to me (none, in the past few days). Now my house looks nothing like a church, so I really can’t understand the mixup. The response from the post office would be funny if I wasn’t so frustrated. Just this morning they told me that my carrier said that my address does not exist! I have lived in my house for 17 years. I want 17 years worth of a refund for taxes paid on a house that does not exist. In the meantime, I welcome any advice for dealing with the Montclair PO.

3. POSTED BY unmitigated gall  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:25 am

Mail service has been entirely dependent on the individual carrier. Had a great guy for years. Then he left and a series of substitutes were terrible. The next regular was eventually just okay. Then he left and another series of substitutes who were very lazy about getting the right mail in the right boxes. Got neighbor’s mail on regular basis. Had another good one for years and then he left. Current carrier has been on route over a year but often gets mail mixed up still.

One guy, back in the 90s, would literally not deliver at all a few days out of the month. Talked to more than one neighbor who confirmed a lack of mail. This was back when there was a lot more of it than now. Someone complained and he was eventually gone. Reminded me of a news story about a mail carrier who was discovered to have piles of undelivered mail stashed away in his home.

At least you don’t hear about them “going postal” anymore.

4. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:27 am

I am so glad you wrote this article! We too have always had spotty things happen over the years, however just recently mysteriously two cards that my mother sent to my young children have disappeared – both cards had $40 cash in them! I know she should have sent a check, but the kids love opening and receiving money. So now what to do — it’s strange that BOTH cards disappeared, never made it to our house. She did put return address on there so I’m just praying they turn up or end up back to her. You call the PO and they are no help. And for the record, if you ever go into the upper montclair post office on Valley, the older woman who is always there, is at the far end register, has an attitude like I have never seen before. Forget about helping you or assisting you, she’s just downright surly! I avoid going there at all costs because of her.

5. POSTED BY oliver  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:41 am

That’s funny, CME–last week, I was at the post office branch you mention, and that postal clerk was being snippy with a customer. The customer got so angry that she asked for the name of the woman’s supervisor; the clerk rattled off his name and number without missing a beat. The customer went off in a huff, and the next customer soothingly told the snippy clerk that she wasn’t the problem, the customer was (bad attitude). I think there was plenty of bad attitude to go around, but the clerk seemed to see no issue with her “customer service” (must be put in quotes here). Still, most of the clerks there and elsewhere are pretty nice.

Don’t tell anyone, but if you want short lines, friendly service, and even free parking right outside the front door, go to the Glen Ridge post office.

And I haven’t been getting my mail delivered regularly lately either, by the way.

6. POSTED BY mtclibn42  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:41 am

CMEinmontclair — one of the missing pieces of mail that I am trying to locate was a Valentine’s Day card to my daughter sent by grandma with $5 in it. Card was mailed from Clifton 2-10-14 and still has not arrive at my address in Montclair.

7. POSTED BY tarkus697  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:00 am

No mail here yesterday at my apartment on North Mountain.

Another part of the problem is the lousy plowing jobs reducing most streets to 1.5 lanes, even less if people are parked on the street. And with Van Dyck Manor just down the block from me, that’s always the case. Could be an issue of the mail carriers not having anywhere to park.

8. POSTED BY duk3  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:22 am

This is absolutely intolerable.

Georgette, thank you for your article but please clarify this sentence: ““It’s all the snow,” explained Darren Fulcher, in customer service at the Glenridge Avenue Post Office.”

Does this indicate that Darren works in customer service for the post office? Or maybe just that he was there at customer service?

I don’t get my mail properly at any time. The snow is not to blame here.

9. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:48 am

duk3,

Fulcher answered the phone at the Glenridge Avenue branch and when I asked his position, he told me customer service.

10. POSTED BY hrhppg  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:56 am

When I moved into my place over 10 years ago the mailboxes in the lobby were broken and unlocked but I was assured they were in the process of being fixed, but it had to be approved by the USPS and they were dragging their feet (per the super)

Flash forward a few years to my netflix dvds going missing and a few times my bills opened and strewn about.

Finally I called the Bloomfield main branch and very politely asked for the name of my mail carrier. When they asked why I explained that the next time a dvd goes missing or my mail is delivered opened I would be filing a police report and the mail carrier would be mentioned by name.

I never had a problem again and a few months later my super was handing out keys to our new mailboxes. Of course now our mail gets delivered around dinner time but I don’t mind that. I did get an annoying amount of questionnaires about customer service after that but I ignored them.

11. POSTED BY tarkus697  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I was going to fill out a complaint at USPS.com but when they ask for your name and address, I fear retaliation from the mail carriers.

It seems that lately, the mail hasn’t been coming until well into the evening, like after 5PM.

Before I would get home from work and the mail would be there.

12. POSTED BY Grover  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

My best friend sent my son a birthday gift via Amazon, due to be delivered yesterday. Yesterday happened to be one of those days where the mail just didn’t come (despite the fact that I live within a 3 minute walk of the Glen Ridge Ave PO). And yet USPS reports to Amazon that they attempted delivery & left a notice. A magic invisible notice, it seems. And strange, since someone was home all day to retrieve it, should they have rung the doorbell. I suppose I can attempt to pick it up today without the notice, but the 1/2 hour wait in line with one service window open doesn’t really seem worth my time. There are perpetually not enough service windows open.

Though I suppose I should count myself lucky that the card my son’s great grandfather sent with $5 arrived intact!!

13. POSTED BY Nellie  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

I hold my breath every time I put something important in the mail. I’ve taken to paying just about all my bills on line because I know my payments won’t get lost.

14. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:29 pm

“It’s all the snow. There are no short cuts for our carriers. They can’t walk on lawns, they have to walk the narrowed shoveled paths. It takes a lot more time.”

That is a very interesting POV, as I can remember it snowing in February forty year ago and never missing a day of delivered mail.

Seems clear to me that Mr. Fulcher is unfortunately confusing climate with work ethic.

15. POSTED BY lucinda  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

I moved from Montclair to Bloomfield about 4 months ago (a whopping 2-mile move) and I filled out the USPS change of address/forward mail forms online weeks before the move. Once in Bloomfield, I got no mail forwarded for about a month and checks are still missing (not delayed–just never arrived). What should have been an easy task turned into an ordeal.

16. POSTED BY Chelsea  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

We clean off the front steps every time it snows. But instead of putting the mail in the box, it has been thrown all over the front porch. Leaving all letters to soak on the damp porch all day. I’ve been disappointed with the Montclair Postal Service – thank you for damaging my mail.

17. POSTED BY duk3  |  February 19, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

Thanks, Georgette.

Has anyone else had this explanation offered: “We thought you moved.”

I just want to say I support the mail carriers and the USPS but they are really just not doing a satisfactory job.

Anyone out there from the USPS have an explanation other than the weather? Are they understaffed?

18. POSTED BY raeven  |  February 19, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

After not getting any mail for over a week, I actually sent a letter to myself to “test” to see if it would arrive. It did finally arrive a few days later. I also ended up contacting my bank etc. to make sure they hadn’t recently mailed anything that never arrived.

19. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 19, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

Exactly Chelsea! Just for the record, after not receiving mail since last week, I returned home from work yesterday to find eight or ten pieces of mail bundled with a rubber band sitting in melting puddle of ice on my front steps mere inched away from my mailbox. So drenched, they were impossible to open had to be put atop a radiator to dry out. What an ordeal.

It called “delivering mail in bad weather and it comes with the job. If you are looking for an easy gig, put in for a transfer to San Diego!

20. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 19, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

Monday, that is. No mail officially delivered yesterday.

21. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 19, 2014 @ 1:51 pm

(Would’ve posted sooner had I been able to login….)

Take heart everyone– the Post Office won’t be around much longer- or at least most of us will have the option to do most of our business online, so an “interruption” (read: snow), won’t be a big deal. (But we’ll STILL be paying for the Post Office pensions for another generation or so.)

So, take this as incentive to spend a few hours and op-in to “paperless delivery” whenever you can. And together, let’s decide that Ecards and the like are acceptable for personal notes.

Or perhaps we can have DeCamp take over local delivery- seems about the same kinda service.

22. POSTED BY bluloo  |  February 19, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

I’ve had a few excellent mail carriers, but the rest have been terrible. I think the good ones were banished to the nether worlds .
    Packages marked as delivered (not delivered), outgoing mail from other Montclair addresses, mail left on front of porch, in water etc. There are some Montclair postal workers who are very good, but most just don’t seem to care much about service. Maybe it’s the turnover rate, which I hear is fairly high. Anyhow, it’s extremely frustrating.

23. POSTED BY mtcgma  |  February 19, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

For me, the poor service began long before the snow. It has been at least a year of delivery issues. Exactly as described above, mail belongong to others delivered to my home. Many of the addresses are not even on my street. I often times wonder where my mail is wrongly delivered to? Mail thrown on the porch, inches from the mail box, mail thrown on the wet ground, mail blowing around my front yard under bushes, many days of no mail delivered and then a huge pile deliveered all at once held together with elastic bands. I joke about only having mail delivery twice a week. I have begun taking photos and documenting dates. Now I need to research who to send it to on the state level? Such similar stories, I can’t imagine that we all have the same carrier??

24. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 19, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

Government run mail!! Can’t fire their Union asses. Gotta keep paying those pensions. (Though I LOVE bluloo comment that the good ones are “banished.”)

Bad service? Who cares! When there is no competition, there is little to motivate people to try harder (some folks and orbs, thankfully, do try hard regardless of competition– all my dealings with Essex County construction and permitting were a dream compared to Montclair.)

But for many things, competition is a good thing. And no competition well, that’s Cable, PSE&G, US Mail, DeCamp, etc.

Oh, well. I hear the Mail delivery is excellent when the temp is between 50-85 degrees. So that’s like 10 out of 12 months.

25. POSTED BY sohobound  |  February 19, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

The snow plowing jobs have been not only an embarrassment, but some days prohibits getting out to work. While the surrounding towns have roads clear to the blacktop. The town can’t have it both ways, charge the high taxes but keep lame managers & workers employed who cant do an adequate enough job to allow us to get to work. Now the mail isn’t getting delivered because of the terrible snow removal work.

Can the town council stop focusing on development and fix the basic problems that are keeping us from earning a living and getting our mail.

26. POSTED BY mtclrsown  |  February 19, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

I’ve gotten my mail every day. I live in an apt building and the building/grounds people shovel the sidewalks and entryways completely every time there is snow. You do the same so the Postal Office workers can get there. And my street has also had virtually bad snow removal and it has basically become a one-lane street. Postal Office doesn’t seem to have a problem with getting me my mail. It wouldn’t be a discussion in these forums without the obligatory shot at the unions.

27. POSTED BY sohobound  |  February 19, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

Why don’t we get someone from VT to come down and give advice on how to best clear roads during and after a storm? In VT they could get several inches of snow during the night and by 7:00 AM, the roads are completely cleared. Even if they have better equipment or more man power, they are definitely strategies to clearing and keeping the roads cleared with snowfall. They could take a look at the equipment Montclair has and give advice based on that.

Why is it that Glen Ridge, Verona and Cedar Grove all had cleared roads for rush hour following all these days and nights of snowfall, yet Montclair’s roads were still snow covered even days later? It isn’t about the unions, it is about figuring out how to do things better and then doing it.

28. POSTED BY snowbird  |  February 19, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

It’s good to know that I have not been the only one complaining about mail thrown on my front steps when the mail slot is fully visible. My understanding is that if there is a slot or mailbox, it is illegal to place the mail anywhere else. I complained to the regional administrator after having spoken with the local office multiple times. The problem continues, albeit on a more sporadic basis. I do remember a number of years ago when the Township sent out its first newsletter to every property owner. There were large areas of Montclair which never received it and the post office had no idea how that happened.

29. POSTED BY R. King  |  February 19, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

I’ve lived in Monclair for 15 years and we have always had exceptional mail delivery from our mail carrier in all weather conditions. He is the best!

30. POSTED BY willjames  |  February 19, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

There’s no complainer quite like a Montclair complainer.

Regarding the USPS and lack of competition, you try running a business with Congress micromanaging your every business decision, and tell me how that goes.

31. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 19, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

mtclrsown – I’m so happy that you have the luxury of having someone else shovel your snow. Has it occurred to you that there are many elderly, sick, and disabled people that cannot do so? Also,no one here is taking an obligatory shot, as you say, at the unions. People are simply and justifiably complaining that their mail isn’t being delivered on a regular basis, or delivered in such a manner as to cause inconvenience. And BTW, these matters have nothing to do with town of Montclair per se, or any other town experiencing similar kinds of issues. If you haven’t yet heard, the USPS is a federal agency.

32. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:29 pm

Inexplicable!

33. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

Wait a second, I know that voice…

34. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:34 pm

Glen Ridge = Munchkin Land

35. POSTED BY sdmb143  |  February 19, 2014 @ 11:34 pm

I work at a local business in Montclair. This is not just the snow. Over the last year mail in Montclair has been rough, but over the last three months it has gotten increasingly worse, to the level of being a nightmare.

We use to get mail everyday before Noon (and usually around 10:00am, Noon was when it came late), now we’re lucky if we get it by 4:00/5:00pm. Up until last year, we had the same mail carrier since we moved into that building. Then he retired and we had three different new people in a 9 month period, and then about three months ago it started to be a random person everyday.

My office asked one of the more friendly carriers why our mail went from coming in the morning to coming so late in the afternoon/evening, as well as why there was such a high turnover in carriers. She said that a few months back the Montclair area specifically (and she said it might have been other areas as well, she only knew about Montclair and some of the surrounding townships), laid off about a ton of carriers, and then consolidated routes to a point that each carrier is now doing everyday what a year ago three or four carriers were responsible for.

The Montclair Post Office has been a mess for a couple months now, the snow is just aggravating the problems that were already present in the system.

36. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  February 20, 2014 @ 6:40 am

sohobound,

You make a point– why not get someone from Vt. to show Montclair how to deliver mail? Why can’t Montclair clear its roads like neighboring communities?

The point I see is that Montclair is run by a bunch of “incompetents.” Well meaning, but incompetent. Folks who lack any management or communication ability (the second will sometimes make up for the first one). And I’m sorry to say I voted for many of them. This snow episode has shown that that was a mistake.

Thankfully, warm weather will do what our fearless leaders were unable to do.

From the roads, to the garbage to the mail, to the taxes…. Thankfully, Montclair has wonderful residents. Because it sure ain’t the Montclair Government that makes this place desirable.

“Oh, hey, way to go Montclair.”

37. POSTED BY waltermitty  |  February 20, 2014 @ 7:01 am

You buried the lede. I am truly surprised that there are still people who rely on the mail for delivery of anything important. CME: Tell your mother about PayPal.

I wonder how many of the complainers here gleefully approved of the idea to apply the same government mindset to the delivery of health care.

38. POSTED BY oliver  |  February 20, 2014 @ 7:33 am

waltermitty, do you mean you never expect to receive a check from your insurance company, or a package that is being sent via USPS (or one of those deals where FedEx teams up with USPS for delivery)–or the old-fashioned fun of a handwritten card, condolence note, or postcard from afar?

39. POSTED BY tarkus697  |  February 20, 2014 @ 8:31 am

No mail again yesterday. Walks are shoveled cleanly, driveway at my apartment complex is clear for the mail carrier to pull in and park their jeep.

Unacceptable. My parent’s apartment complex is much worse in terms of snow removal and they’ve gotten their mail every day.

40. POSTED BY townie  |  February 20, 2014 @ 9:47 am

The USPS still delivers mail?

41. POSTED BY willjames  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:06 am

sdmb143 just gave the reason for the late delivery of your mail, and you all ignored him / her. The USPS is being squeezed, plain and simple, in the push for “smaller” government. The diminishment of services and the quality of infrastructure is directly correlated to “we the people’s” demands for lower taxes. This isn’t that complicated.

42. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:13 am

willjames,

That may be the case now, but my mail delivery issues started 11 years ago when we moved to Montclair. I lived in 14 different places before that and never had an issue.

My parents visit every year and have their mail forwarded and every year there’s a mix up at the Montclair branch. Every single year.

My step-father worked for the post office for 30 years and he cannot believe how bad the mail service is in Montclair.

43. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:19 am

It’s more complicated than you make out, willjames. The USPS has competition from carries like FedEx, UPS etc, and from email, which has made it not all that important to be able to get a physical letter in a day or two. It hasn’t been allowed to raise prices as it probably should, nor can it branch out into other services, such as retail banking in poor neighborhoods.

44. POSTED BY willjames  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:22 am

Okay, Georgette, your first-hand experience trumps my theorizing. I still don’t take back the original observation: I’ve never seen a more skilled, and more consistently skilled, set of complainers than the population of this great, often infuriating town.

45. POSTED BY willjames  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:24 am

Everything is more complicated than anyone makes it out to be here on our beloved B’net, walleroo.

46. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 20, 2014 @ 10:33 am

Good comeback!

On another matter, in this season of seemingly endless daily obstacles–ice, impatient drivers, canceled trains, more ice, even ruder than normal pedestrians, etc–it seems fitting that WordPress has imposed on Baristanet commentators the additional obstacle of having to log in 5 or 6 times for every one post. Maybe the log-in purgatory will end by the time the snow melts? That would be really nice.

47. POSTED BY g07003  |  February 20, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

This has nothing to do with the snow. I work in Montclair. Our mail delivery is beyond horrible. This has been ongoing for over a year. We have corresponded with and phoned the post office, asked for assistance from the mayor’s office, etc. In November we received a huge delivery of mail, including items that had been postmarked FEBRUARY! The post office claims it’s because there has not been a postal worker assigned to our neighborhood for over a year, and because we have a postal box on the front of the building, with separate compartments for each tenant, if the carrier assigned to the route does not have the key, no delivery is made. We have left signs on the post boxes asking the carrier to please RING THE BELL for any one of the tenants and we will accept the mail at the door. (Don’t hold your breath.) Couldn’t someone deliver it the next day? Where did they dump it for NINE months? Insane.

48. POSTED BY Nellie  |  February 20, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Like walleroo, I often find I have to log in five or six times and then often find I am logged in as another commenter. I’ve recently been cathar, sillyphus, and euro?????, whom I never heard of.

Maybe I should send my comments through the mail.

49. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  February 20, 2014 @ 8:09 pm

I believe it is the WordPress 3.8.1 release. This has been going on for months and Baristanet has not been forthcoming. Worse than the Township.

“word on the street” is this WordPress sw is a security nightmare, but does it really make a difference in this age of social media, DHS & NSA?

50. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 20, 2014 @ 8:13 pm

Haha! Good one Nellie!

PS I’m logged in as Frank Rubacky. Suddenly I have all this knowledge of local issues.

51. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 20, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

Cheap shot ‘roo. Both Franks (Rubacky and gg) both contribute the most worthy information to this site.

52. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  February 20, 2014 @ 9:43 pm

All in good fun. No harm.

53. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 21, 2014 @ 10:22 am

There you go again, silverleaf, looking for snark where none exists. I adore both franks; you, by contrast, are a black hole for humor.

54. POSTED BY tarkus697  |  February 21, 2014 @ 11:52 am

Well we finally got mail yesterday. Of course, all I got was 5 pieces of junk mail. No check I’m expecting that was mailed out on the 11th.

Also, I received an email last night from Amazon stating that the USPS tried to deliver a package (a paperback book) but no one was home and I should fill out the peach form that was left.

Guess what? No form. Way to go Montclair USPS. Bravo, indeed.

55. POSTED BY oliver  |  February 21, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

OK, since we’re piling on, I might as well lodge another complaint about the Montclair post office: in the old days, I used to fill out the yellow “hold mail” card when we went away for a week or more. Over the past several years, I’ve gone to usps.gov and filled out a hold mail request. I get the emailed confirmation that they will hold the mail and deliver on the date I indicated–but with only 1 exception, either the mail has not been held at all, or it gets held and then not delivered later. (And when I call about it, someone pleasantly informs me that my mail at the post office; they agree that it ought to have been delivered, but I can come pick it up).

What do others do? Does the yellow-card option work better, even though it means having to go there to fill it out, plus now they keep them behind the window so you have to wait in line just to get the card?

56. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 21, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

I hear and sympathize with you, Oliver . . . I’ve faced the same problem. Best remedy: Ask a trusted neighbor to pick up from mailbox and hold.

57. POSTED BY steamengine759  |  February 23, 2014 @ 11:55 am

If you are not receiving mail and miss it file a complaint at usps.gov if enough people complain to their congressman also, things will change. the post office refuse’s to replace clerks whom sort mail and can not handle the huge increase in all types of mail/ Parcels . I used to start at 6:00am I now start at 8:30am waiting for mail to start route I am to complete 6.5 hours of delivery and then 1 hr on vacant route once it is dark and then unsafe to see your footing while reading in the dark it’s over ….. Your mail goes back to post office. Customer get poor/ no service complaining on the phone does little if anything
    Your mail may be delayed because of weather no delivery is not weather related

58. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  February 24, 2014 @ 5:36 pm

Contrary to popular belief, the U.S. Postal Service has no “official motto.”

The familar sentence you are thinking of is this:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

This is commonly misidentified as the creed of our mail carriers, but actually it is just the inscription found on the General Post Office in New York City at 8th Avenue and 33rd Street.

Here’s how the official Web site of the U.S. Postal Service describes the origin of the inscription.

This inscription was supplied by William Mitchell Kendall of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, the architects who designed the New York General Post Office. Kendall said the sentence appears in the works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the Greeks against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity with which their work was done. Professor George H. Palmer of Harvard University supplied the translation, which he considered the most poetical of about seven translations from the Greek.