Are You Ready To Shovel?

BY  |  Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 12:34pm  |  COMMENTS (27)

Save that glass of wine for apres shovel.

Save that glass of wine for apres shovel.

Have you shoveled already? Once? Twice? Or are you waiting?

The snow will only get heavier and shoveling can be dangerous (A 2011 study published in the Clinical Research in Cardiology revealed that shoveling snow actually does increase the risk of a having a heart attack).

Don't wait too long to shovel. Photo: LeAnne Korbel

Don’t wait too long to shovel. Photo: LeAnne Korbel

Other risks according to the Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) are dehydration, back injuries, pulled muscles, broken bones and frostbite. Here are safe snow shoveling tips from the SIMA:

TIP #2: Wear breathable layers so you can peel a layer off if you get hot. Avoid wearing heavy wools, man-made materials or other materials that don’t allow perspiration to evaporate. Better choices are cotton and silk.

TIP #3: Watch your feet. Wears waterproof boots with good traction to ensure you don’t slip and fall.

TIP #4: Streeettch! Shoveling snow is a workout so you need to stretch to warm up your muscles to help prevent injury and fatigue.

TIP #5: Push don’t lift. If you push the snow to the side rather than trying to lift the snow to remove it, you exert less energy thereby placing less stress on your body.

TIP #6: Drink up! Water that is. Take frequent breaks and stay hydrated, as you would during a tough workout or run.

TIP #7: Don’t play in traffic. When shoveling snow near streets, pay attention to the traffic since vehicles may not have good traction in the snow and ice.

TIP #8: Call and text. Have your cell phone on you so you can make a call in event of an emergency.

1. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 13, 2014 @ 2:35 pm

How many inches in Baristaville?
    PAZ in ATL

2. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 13, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

Step 9, have a stiff drink ready at the end of the day.

3. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 13, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

PAZ, I don’t know the official amount but I think there’s at least a foot here, and then there are the drifts.

4. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 13, 2014 @ 3:51 pm

Push don’t lift? You’ve got to be kidding me.

5. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 13, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

PAZ, you are better off in ATL, even if you didn’t pack extra socks and underwear. We got about a foot. On top of the icy crap that was there before. Deliver me.

6. POSTED BY Liz George  |  February 13, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

PAZ — we got about 14 inches (per recent accuweather) — and they are saying we could get double digits tonight when snow resumes around 10

7. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 13, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

Step 10: Move to S. Cal.

8. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 13, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

Argghh!

Reminds me once of being stuck in Chicago during a horrific storm here. I couldn’t get out of O’Hare. Each day I’d rebook my airport hotel on HotWire and take the shuttle bus over to the United counter to see if there was anything they could do. If it hadn’t been for the Green Mill I would’ve lost my mind.

PAZ, you should get on down to Blind Willie’s on North Highland Ave and hear Deacon Bluz & The Holy Smoke Band. The club’s motto is “It Ain’t Easy Bein’ Sleazy”–how can you go wrong? Pick me up a t-shirt, xl.

If you want less sleaze you might try the rotating joint atop the Westin, The Sun Dial. Tonight is the Mose Davis Trio, whoever they are.

9. POSTED BY frankgg  |  February 13, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

When i went outside this afternoon…it seemed like a halucination… still more snow!
    I am still using the “tarp method” on my driveway…. It works!
    The best thing is that I dont have to purchace salt or icemelter… or pay someone $100 everytime it snow (that would be every day…these days!

10. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 13, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

Having a real exciting time here in Buckhead GA. The hotel set up a viewing of “Captain Phillips” for all us stranded peeps last night and tonight after dinner I ordered “The Book Thief”. The hotel staff had to sleep over during the storm. They’re a bunch of good hearted troopers putting up with stressed out travelers!
    If all goes well and United doesn’t screw the pooch tomorrow I’ll be wheels down in EWR around 8pm. Then Sat. I find out from Southend hardware why the storm killed my snowblower.
    Finally, to end the day I get my progeny to EWR for her French Club trip to Paree! Bon Voyage!
    Monsieur Beni Oui Oui Pere. a’ATL

11. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 13, 2014 @ 11:57 pm

frank – How deep would the snow have to be for this method not to work?

12. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 14, 2014 @ 7:12 am

GR schools closed today Friday.

13. POSTED BY ccc  |  February 14, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Step 12: Wait for mother nature to take care of it. It will be in the 40s next week.

14. POSTED BY frankgg  |  February 14, 2014 @ 9:54 am

Since it has been snowing intermittently…I remove the snow from the tarps every time it snows….If its a foot deep and powdery….like its been….I quickly remove a few inches of the surface and then in two persons, remove the whole tarp…The tarps that I use are 9′ x 12′. The tarps keep the surface clean and I dont need salt.

15. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  February 14, 2014 @ 10:22 am

Thanks, good advice, I appreciate it.

16. POSTED BY oliver  |  February 14, 2014 @ 10:39 am

“TIP #1: Stay on top of the snow. To prevent snow and ice from adhering to the sidewalk or street, clear the snow every few inches instead of waiting for the snow to stop falling before you head outdoors.”

Would be nice if Montclair Public Works would follow this guideline for plowing. But I must say, they did a great job with this most recent storm!

17. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 14, 2014 @ 10:42 am

Having a real exciting time here in Buckhead GA

The PAZ Chronicles. I can’t wait for the next episode. Will there be zombies? No, don’t tell me!

18. POSTED BY Liz George  |  February 14, 2014 @ 10:47 am

Frank — we want video! :)

19. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 14, 2014 @ 11:30 am

The Pazoo chronicles….United flight canceled tonight….. Now booked on Delta to LGA. In the words of the immortal Fred Sanford….”Im a-comin’ Elizabeth!”

20. POSTED BY Annette Batson  |  February 14, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

Frank, why didn’t I think of that? I see a business opp for you! I love the concept, but I would need two manly men with mega muscles here to help me out!

21. POSTED BY frankgg  |  February 14, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

Thanks so much Liz and Annette…I’m so flattered!
    Annette… your driveway is such a good candidate for this method… because it slopes down to the road. Its all like a “non stick” surface so you dont need mega muscles… you can just avalanche the tarps down to the street! LOL Happy Valentines! oxo

22. POSTED BY june159  |  February 14, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

I dream of radiant heat under my driveway.

23. POSTED BY Conan  |  February 14, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

Bummer, PAZ. Wish I had known you were stuck in Buckhead earlier — Churchill’s — one of my all time favorite Brit bars is there. Anyway, have a safe trip.

24. POSTED BY lisaann  |  February 15, 2014 @ 10:17 am

This is embarrassing: Can anyone recommend a place/person/service I can call that will help me dig my car out of my parking lot? The rest of the lot is clear. It’s just the small area around me.

25. POSTED BY walleroo  |  February 15, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

Hang in there, lisaann. PAZ is on his way.

Probably best to find a couple of strapping male adolescents. Any service is going to either be full up for the season or charge you a small fortune.

26. POSTED BY PAZ  |  February 15, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

If you live in GR. the H.S. athletes have a club that does community service to those in need, like shoveling, grass cutting, etc.

27. POSTED BY lisaann  |  February 16, 2014 @ 8:47 am

I’m in Montclair, PAZ. No strapping men near me, walleroo, alas. I’m taking it very slowly and I’m hoping the warm up will help me out a bit. This is so so frustrating.