Protest in Pictures: Rally Against Ted Nugent Performance at Wellmont Theater

BY  |  Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 4:14pm  |  COMMENTS (15)

Police and more than 100 protesters gathered outside the empty Social Security to protest against the Wellmont Theater’s Ted Nugent performance last night.

Protesters from BlueWave NJ and NJ Citizen Action carried signs reading “No hate in the Garden State,” and “Shame on The Wellmont” and were joined by District 34 Assemblyman Thomas Giblin, District 5 Freeholder Brendan Gill and Township Council members RenĂ©e Baskerville, Robert Russo and Sean Spiller (who also attended last night’s town council meeting), according to the Montclair Times.

1. POSTED BY ronm  |  July 23, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

Makes me proud to be a Monclairion.

2. POSTED BY Conan  |  July 23, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

Isn’t that where the anti-abortion group hung out? In front of the old SocSec building? That’s ironic… even for Montclair.

3. POSTED BY donjosebluster  |  July 23, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

Wait, let me see if I understand. They had signs that read, No hate in the Garden State, but they are all “Hating” on Ted Nugent. Yeah, that seems right.

4. POSTED BY flipside  |  July 23, 2014 @ 11:20 pm

Let’s see if I got this right….an aging third tier rocker makes outrageous comments in a desperate attempt for attention prompting 100 people to stand on the sidewalk with signs in a desperate attempt for attention…now I get it.

5. POSTED BY jcunningham  |  July 23, 2014 @ 11:45 pm

Let’s see if I got this right…anonymous local troll makes the same ridiculous point for the 100th time on baristanet…still don’t get it…

6. POSTED BY flipside  |  July 24, 2014 @ 12:07 am

@ jcunn you got it right…in fact you get everything right but then you already knew that.

7. POSTED BY PAZ  |  July 24, 2014 @ 7:39 am

More importantly: What’s going on with that empty building?

8. POSTED BY Liz George  |  July 24, 2014 @ 10:04 am
  9. POSTED BY zephyrus  |  July 24, 2014 @ 10:26 am

The fact that Nugent is a NRA board member is enough for me to consider him a detrimental figure. The Wellmont’s booking and their wait-and-see response point to their strict commitment to the bottom line. Fair enough for any business; yet fair enough for locals to get a clearer idea of just how invested said business is in local revenue. At least we can each now individually decide whether or not we want to continue to support their ethics. I for one am henceforth opting out seeing shows there.

10. POSTED BY PAZ  |  July 24, 2014 @ 10:53 am

Liz….I guess you would call this a standoff at present.

11. POSTED BY sillyphus  |  July 24, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

You’d think it’s only Montclair protesting the tour from the comments in both threads, free enterprise and all that …..
    Texas and Idaho seem not to want him either.

12. POSTED BY johnqp  |  July 24, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

So in terms of paying attendance, did Nugent draw a respectable sized crowd ?

13. POSTED BY Bill Courson  |  July 25, 2014 @ 9:07 am

So let’s see if I have this right: a fourth-rate hasbeen rabble-rouser of a rocker visits my town and puts on a concert, filled with what I regard as inflammatory (if not defamatory) rhetoric and because of his right to his opinion and the free expression of that opinion, I forfeit my own? Nope. Sorry. Uh-uh. Negative.

I’m very happy to report that attendance was around 50%: half of the tickets were unsold.

Nugent blames his upcoming shows’ cancelations on – and I quote – “a Liberal army assigned to destroy Ted Nugent,” stating “These sick, sick, stoned, hygiene-challenged Michael Moore fans, they call in and complain that I’m a racist, they claim I’m a pedophile, that I dodged the draft. They call all the promoters, they call all the venues, they call all my sponsors, every day.”

Face the fact: the people don’t like and don’t want to hear what Teddy Boy has to say, his talent is negligible and his performances have all of the zest and appeal of a used enema bag.

14. POSTED BY johnqp  |  July 25, 2014 @ 11:00 am

Fifty percent unsold ?

Wow, if that’s true, then it must have been another real money maker evening for the Wellmont and Live Nation.

Guess it proves what happens when you book mediocre talent that’s out of sync with the local populace.