Have plans to travel for the July 4th weekend? Joshua Crandall, the founder and CEO of the Clever Commute online service, has compiled a helpful a guide for commuters planning on exiting NYC (via public transit) on the so-called getaway day—Thursday—called the Five T’s:
1. Tickets – tickets..Tickets…TICKETS.
Get them early!
If you or your traveling companion will need a ticket, get it BEFORE Thursday. Lines are loooooong on get-away days.
HINT: NJ Transit now has an app for tickets. So does NY Waterway! See your app store for details.
2. Timing is crucial
You are advised to avoid NY Penn/Grand Central/Port Authority between 1:00 and 3:00 PM.
We expect a surge of commuters at that time.
3. Timetables and Schedule changes
Visit your transit provider’s web site for up-to-date schedule schedules….including information about (extra) getaway day service
4. Terminal – Choose wisely
If it is at all within your control, avoid NY Penn Station.
- NJT riders should consider Hoboken and/or Newark Penn
- LIRR riders: try Atlantic Terminal
5. Other Tips:
- Dress in layers – even if it’s not a hot day…the terminal or the trains can be warm
- Bring water/snacks – save time…save money. Plan ahead.
- “Baggage strategy” matters – There is going to be lots of luggage around on Thursday. Make your plan now…NOT on Thursday morning.
Have a great holiday!