Locals of all ages have been exercising their minds and bodies all summer long with Montclair Public Library (MPL) as part of its annual Summer Reading campaign. (I joined and have been reading a new book every week, plus exercising more). On Saturday, August 20 beginning at 9 am, the community is invited to celebrate with a full day of events at Edgemont Park.
“The health and fitness themes of this year have been incredibly helpful in promoting active lifestyles and health literacy,” said Chelsea Dodd, Information Services Supervisor. “Of all of the summer reading initiatives in which I have participated, this one has been the most fun.”
“The Summer Reading Program has been a staple of Montclair Public Library for years,” said Anita Peterson, Foundation Manager. “The Partners for Health Foundation grant has expanded it to foster not only a love of reading but of healthy living as well. We hope these programs have inspired children and adults to continue incorporating these healthy habits into their daily lives.”
The full schedule of MPL’s celebration is as follows:
- 9:00am Yoga: Class will be an hour long alignment based vinyasa practice. Remember to bring a mat and water! This is an open level class presented by Misha Hajj, yoga instructor at the YMCA of Montclair.
- 10:15am to 1:45pm: Free Adult School Dept. Mini Classes (Registration recommended for classes.)
- 10:15am – Breaking Up with Sugar: Presented by Tina Hong, a Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach, AADP, and founder of Goodness Multiplied Living Well Programs (www.goodnessmultiplied.com). Register.
- 11:00am – Searching for Health: Reliable Online Research: Presented by Chelsea Dodd, Information Services Supervisor. Register.
- 11:45am – Living a Mindful Life: Presented by Diane Lang, M.A., counseling; certified counselor; adjunct instructor, psychology, M.S.U.; therapist, educator and author with expertise in multiple mental health, lifestyle and parenting needs. Register.
- 12:30pm – Recognizing Mental Health Issues: Presented by Jayme Ganey, MA, of the Mental Health Association of Essex County. Register.
- 1:15pm – Aikido: Presented by Robert Friedman, LCSW. Robert has taught at Aikido Centers in Morristown and East Hanover for 14 years. He holds multiple black belt certifications from Aikido World Headquarters, Aikikai Foundation and Aikido Centers. Register.
- 2:00p Storybook Walk: Join us for a walk around the Edgemont Park path! We’ll stop at several stations along the way to read pages from a picture book. The stations will remain up for the rest of the afternoon for families to enjoy. Presented in partnership with the New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition.
- 3:00 to 5:00pm: Kids & Teens crafts and activities
The mini classes will take place inside the Edgemont Park House. The yoga class, Storybook Walk and Kids & Teens activities are scheduled to take place outdoors, but may be moved inside in case of inclement weather.