Barista’s Watching The Weather…

Friday, Sep 05, 2008 3:42pm  |  COMMENTS (29)

Baristanet meteorologist Deb Galant isn’t even in town today, but just emailed a “watch your back” severe weather warning to share with y’all…and I’m sure there’ll be photos over the weekend as she dodges the drops..
Precautions in the event of power outages (from Glen Ridge township & PSE&G: )

· Charge your cell phone before the storm and anything else that needs to be charged.
· Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Food will stay frozen between 36 and 48 hours in a full size loaded freezer (24 hours in a half size) if the door is closed.
· Turn off any lights and appliances to avoid overloading home circuits once power is restored

· Stay clear of areas with a lot of debris, there may be energized wires
· Use battery radios to receive information
· Do not use charcoal indoors
· Check Flashlights for batteries, avoid using candles.
· Flooded basements – DO NOT go into flood basements if energized wires are present.

GLEN RIDGE POLICE: 973-748-5400
National Weather Service advised there would need to be about seven inches of rain for any severe flooding to occur.
What to expect in Baristaville from the National Weather Service ( Mt. Holly NJ radar base:

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 76. South wind between 5 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between two and three inches possible.
Saturday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 63. Windy, with a north wind 28 to 31 mph decreasing to between 9 and 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between three and four inches possible.
Sunday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. North wind between 6 and 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.

1. POSTED BY Git2itGal  |  September 05, 2008 @ 4:12 pm

Don’t you love when the sun comes back on *Monday* after a no-beach weekend?

2. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  September 05, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

I’ll make some life rafts for Simba, Tubby, Rusty and Tiger just in case they get trapped in the basement. Then again, I won’t have to. There a four litter boxes down there and I think they all float.
    Maybe they can re-enact historic naval battles in my basement from the floating litter boxes. We’ll get all this on u-tube and become famous!

3. POSTED BY Generically named Mike  |  September 05, 2008 @ 4:25 pm

MB,
    I’d rather not see what they use for ammunition in those naval battles.

4. POSTED BY nosy_girl  |  September 05, 2008 @ 4:30 pm

from montclair’s official website:
    “combination of heavy rain & gutsy winds”
    guess we’re in for a “tough” storm…

5. POSTED BY nosy_girl  |  September 05, 2008 @ 4:35 pm

oops – “gutsy” is the official word from the weather authorities…

6. POSTED BY surprise  |  September 05, 2008 @ 10:12 pm

I have to go to NY to speak at a conference. Dreading….

7. POSTED BY mathilda  |  September 05, 2008 @ 10:32 pm

Let’s hope this isn’t God seeking revenge for our ecological sins. Just in case, I’d advise all of you to make some gesture of restitution and recycle something, anything.

8. POSTED BY Pokey  |  September 05, 2008 @ 11:35 pm

I just came in from swinging a cat food can over my head 13 times, putting it in the recycle receptacle. I then buried some chicken embryo containers in my heated degenerative capsule while chanting anti-tax mantras. I hope this helped.

9. POSTED BY NewGirl  |  September 05, 2008 @ 11:43 pm

Geez Mathilda, way to bury a good idea in a heavy-handed, depressing, preachy message! Are you always such a downer?
    Please do recycle something anyway folks, please always recycle stuff!

10. POSTED BY mathilda  |  September 06, 2008 @ 1:18 am

Are you always such a breezy dimwit, NewGirl? When you find yourself in Sodom and Gomorrah with no GPS, don’t call me on your cell phone.

11. POSTED BY NewGirl  |  September 06, 2008 @ 2:06 am

Dude, Mathilda, deep breaths, okay? Go for a walk in the woods or something already.
    Enjoy the rainy day, it’s perfect for your Debbie Downer Shtick…

12. POSTED BY jimmyp  |  September 06, 2008 @ 4:18 am

Wait a sec. Are we waiting for God to punish us ? is that really true ??

13. POSTED BY ubuwalker31  |  September 06, 2008 @ 6:15 am

This weather is the pits early this morning…no wind…100% humidity…we had all the windows open in the house to keep cool, and I guess some fog rolled through our street, and it set off the smoke detector at 5:45am…lovely way to start a Saturday morning…

14. POSTED BY monongahela  |  September 06, 2008 @ 7:07 am

Humidity is G-d’s way of punishing us. Where’s this tropical storm already?

15. POSTED BY surprise  |  September 06, 2008 @ 7:31 am

We punish ourselves. I do not believe there is a god capable of punishing etc.

16. POSTED BY Steve from Yellowstone  |  September 06, 2008 @ 7:36 am

I think us in Baristaville are experts in power outages lately. Thanks anyways PSEG.

17. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  September 06, 2008 @ 8:27 am

Ah… Steve,
    We in Baristaville are experts in EVERYTHING!!!
    Haven’t you noticed?

18. POSTED BY cathar  |  September 06, 2008 @ 8:35 am

Prof, keep your head down, and I wish you all the little profs dryness and full electrical power today. And a good family time.
    Mathilda, your parodies (or should I call them burlesques?) of surely-out-there-somewhere local posts are still brilliant.

19. POSTED BY mathilda  |  September 06, 2008 @ 2:05 pm

Parodies? Burlesques? This from someone who himself appears to be a character from a novel by John Barth?

20. POSTED BY Former Ridger  |  September 06, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

Stunning, mathilda, as usual. I wish I were a character from a John Barth novel, but I’m clearly not worthy.

21. POSTED BY mathilda  |  September 06, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

It’s not something to which any right thinking person would aspire, Former Ridger. When the history of our century is written, the true heroes will be Al Gore, Jeff Sachs, Bill McKibbon and who knows perhaps our own Pat Kenschaft. Aspire thataways, and ignore the folly and decadence of those who post here. I only frequent these parts in the (probably vain) hope that I can do some good, like Christ among the sinners.

22. POSTED BY cathar  |  September 06, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

If you’re going to cite self-proclaimed saviors of the earth, Mathilda, it helps to spell their surnames correctly. It’s “McKibben.”
    Which I thought would have rated your special attention. I guess you’re not as attentive a fraud as I’d assumed.

23. POSTED BY Finial N. Scroll  |  September 06, 2008 @ 4:52 pm

..”I only frequent these parts in the (probably vain) hope that I can do some good, like Christ among the sinners”….the needle on my Nutmeter is all the way up in the red-zone, trying to bend the pin that stops it from going further.

24. POSTED BY Nellie  |  September 06, 2008 @ 6:17 pm

Mathilda and Tribble need to hook up…

25. POSTED BY RaeVen  |  September 06, 2008 @ 6:27 pm

looks like part of Valley was just blocked off by police barricades, must be flooding

26. POSTED BY RaeVen  |  September 06, 2008 @ 6:30 pm

oh, and Montclair’s local channel on Fios, also reports “gutsy” winds

27. POSTED BY Strong Koffee  |  September 06, 2008 @ 8:15 pm

thank you to the barista for this particular post. last night you caused me to get up, go to the store & get batteries (for my phone charger) & a few other things in the event of this storm. although now, due to some sporadic power failures, we are sitting by battery operated light w/the adt failure warning sounding every few minutes.

28. POSTED BY mathilda  |  September 06, 2008 @ 8:27 pm

I wouldn’t waste a minute trying to prove my existence for the likes of you, who dare to quibble over the spelling of a name while the waters literally rise around us. You are not worth the schmutz on Bill McKibben’s lapels (if he wore a jacket, which I doubt he does in summer, for reasons of energy savings).

29. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  September 06, 2008 @ 8:59 pm

Amazing that McKibben can be mocked and we are about to elect a man who has a running mate that does not “believe” climate change is a result of our burning of fossil fuels. Of couse she also doesn’t “believe” in evolutio. As long as we continue to elect people who put superstitious beliefs over scientific evidence we will continue to see the results of our own inability to grasp the scope of the problem of global climate change.

I'm struck by how much attention is being paid to the details of a parking lot, as opposed to the attention paid to the future impact of the monstrous projects being planned.