Tallmadge Cheese Market

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 12:03pm  |  COMMENTS (13)

tallmadgecheesemarket.JPGA gourmet cheese shop with a huge selection from regional American dairies and abroad comes to Montclair at the end of March. Construction is almost complete at Tallmadge Cheese Market in the old Café Sultan space.
Owner Allin Tallmadge, a Verona resident and former Mac computer salesman, discovered “the amazing flavors of local Italian cheeses” on a trip to Tuscany a few years ago. Once back in the U.S., he dedicated himself to learning the ins-and-outs of cheese retail, studying with the area’s foremost cheesemongers–at Artisanal and Murray’s Cheese in Manhattan, then at The Cheese Shop of Ridgewood and finally at Eden Gourmet in South Orange.
A member of Slow Food USA and the American Cheese Society, Tallmadge is hopelessly passionate about cheese. He’ll keep 125 to 200 cheeses on-hand, including Brie, Fontina Val d’Aosta (a nutty, easy-melting cow’s milk cheese from northwest Italy), Cantal (sweet, milky cow’s milk cheese from Auvergne, France), and small production runs from operations in the Northeast, Wisconsin, and California.

Tallmadge will also offer shoppers a full Mediterranean pantry that he’ll build as he discovers great products–things like preserves, spreads and condiments, pasta, grains and beans, plus his favorite olive oils and vinegars. “I am a strong supporter of sustainable food production and desire to back the efforts of small producers and farmers making natural and healthy foods,” says Tallmadge. “Like so many in Montclair, I want to know where my food comes from and who makes it.” Bread from Calandra’s and Gina’s on Walnut Street will make putting a quick weeknight spread together in a pinch easy, especially with Magnolia’s wine shop steps away.
Tallmadge renovated the former restaurant space, brightening it and shrinking the kitchen, where he plans to eventually turn out creamy macaroni and cheese and hearty vegetable and cheese pie for takeout. — Emily McKenna

Opening hours: Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m.; Sunday, 12:30-5 p.m.
Tallmadge Cheese Market, 38 Upper Montclair Plaza, Upper Montclair, 973-744-2464

1. POSTED BY Katie  |  March 09, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

THIS IS SO EXCITING! I love tasty cheeses so much thinking about a cheese store opening within walking distance to my apartment is bringing a tear to my eye.

2. POSTED BY Opinionated  |  March 09, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

Good luck with that space.
    And with selling only cheese in a town that has many supermarkets with much cheese (and myriad other things to choose from, at the same time, from the same parking space).

3. POSTED BY Conan  |  March 09, 2009 @ 12:49 pm

“Moe! Larry! Moe! Larry!”

4. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  March 09, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

A good friend of mine used to work at Murray’s cheese shop in the West Village back in the early 90’s. He used to come home every night with samplings of the “illegal” unpasturized raw cheeses they kept hidden in the basement. Best cheese I ever tasted.

5. POSTED BY Jim  |  March 09, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

If you think all cheese is the same, this store is not for you. If you don’t care where your cheese comes from and how it is made, this store is not for you. If you buy Kraft or even Cabot shrink-wrapped cheese, this store is not for you.

6. POSTED BY complainerpuss  |  March 09, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

Glad to hear that, Jim. For a second, I was afraid this was going to be one of those stores where they treat every customer with kindness, patience and respect, even if the customer doesn’t know the difference between manchego and muenster. Actually, let’s just hope the management does not share your “this store is not for you” attitude, because if they do, odds are you’ll be seeing another nail salon in that location by this time next year.

7. POSTED BY s2007  |  March 09, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

I use to own a Cheese Shop. It was a wonderful, fun business. I am excited for this shop to open. We treated our customers with kindness, respect and patience….they kept coming back even though the grocery stores carried many of the same cheeses because we handled the product better and we developed a relationship with the customers. I am quite sure that the owner of this shop realizes that. I wish you success and fun.

8. POSTED BY Michael T  |  March 10, 2009 @ 8:46 am

Talmadge is very passionate about his chesse. He’s done his homework, and I wish him all the best.

9. POSTED BY Opinionated  |  March 10, 2009 @ 3:34 pm

Oh, OK — if Michael T. (my personal cheese hero) approves, I’m there…

10. POSTED BY Sandy  |  April 07, 2009 @ 12:45 pm

I guess the store is not for me…..

11. POSTED BY HereandThere  |  April 11, 2009 @ 8:28 am

So is this place now open? That’s somewhat important information.

12. POSTED BY jiju  |  April 21, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

Just went in there today. Great selection of cheeses, crackers, jellies, etc. Everyone was very friendly. I hope this pleace does well.

13. POSTED BY KC  |  September 24, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

A wise man (who owned a nationally prominent goat cheese company) once told me: “if you want to make a small fortune in the cheese business, start with a large one.” Good luck Mr. Tallmadge. I do hope the community supports you.
    Tallmadge has a lovely collection of cheese. Much better than almost any retailer in this area of NJ. When I visited for the first time recently, all product appeared to be well tended and in great condition. Don’t, for a minute, think that this is easy.
    The shop has a sexy selection of the gooey, soft ripening, triple creme, cheeses that few retailers dare carry (particularly Whole Paycheck). Imagine a robust, fragrant, washed rind cheese from Marin County or Normandy on your table with a great sparkling wine or Champagne?

Yes, April is The Foolish Month. This might be the most inept Planning Board we have had in recent memory. They don't even now how to hold a public hearing. It is so Trump-like. Just the times.