A few weeks back, while standing in line at the supermarket checkout, a sweet, teenage girl was at the register ringing up my groceries. She was all smiles and very chatty, telling me she was going to go to college next year, giving me props for using coupons, because she is learning that saving money is good, etc.. While waiting, I pulled out my iPhone to check emails and then she turned into a brat.
She asked me if it was an iPhone. “Yes,” I replied, to which she said, “That’s so great how older people are all into technology…using iPhones, texting…… I think it’s cool.”
Older person? Technically I am older than a teenager, but when did I become an old person?
When I taught high school, among a bunch of teenagers, I felt like a cool older (in my 20s) person that the kids looked up to, but I never felt old. When I became a mother at age 30, I felt like a true grown-up, but I never felt old. But I guess, at age 36, I am old, especially to a young, perky teenage girl. This interaction started me thinking. Do I give off “old” vibes? I realized I do.
Here are ten signs that I am old:
- I’ve already turned into my mother by saying things such as: “If I have to come in there!!!!!”
- I think Lady Gaga is scary and totally innappropriate for kids. I think her music stinks too. Alejandro sounds just like a song Ace of Base would have written—if they turned to drugs.
- I find myself saying things like: “They just don’t make hip-hop songs like they used to. Everything is about sex and money now.”
- When I heard about Kyleigh’s Law and the red decals drivers under 21 need on their cars, I thought, “It’s about time!”
- I think kids should be more formal with adults and yearn for the days of proper etiquette.
- I find myself thinking everything is inappropriate these days: swimsuits, kids watching movies too old for them, etc..
- I look at all the teen idols (Justin Beiber, Zac Efron, Taylor Lautner) and think, “These are the type of boys girls like? Where are all the manly looking heartthrobs?”
- I find myself blasting Michael Bublé in my car a lot lately. I can’t help it, his voice is great and he’s really cute.
- I still say things like: awesome, totally cool, props and other words that peaked in the 80s.
- I went to bed at 9 pm last night.
When did you realize you were old?
(Photo: xkcd comics)