Something Spicy in the Air… it’s Brick Lane

BY  |  Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 4:30pm  |  COMMENTS (26)

Something spicy’s in the air on Valley Road. Brick Lane, the third offshoot of an Indian restaurant with its roots in NYC, will open its doors “in three weeks’ time,” almost directly opposite Valley National Bank, a manager of Brick Lane told Baristanet.

The restaurant is named for the street in London, UK, a landing area in decades past for Irish, Ashkenazi Jewish and Bengali/Sylheti immigrants, and on which many curry houses are located.

“We are having the interiors done now and don’t have an exact date for the opening yet,” said the manager who is based at Brick Lane on East 6th Street. He declined to be named, or to provide more details, save that the theme of the original curry houses in New York will continue in Montclair, and that further restaurants in New Jersey were being considered.

Brick Lane’s website offers a glimpse of what future diners may expect: “The whole enterprise is modeled not after U.S. Indian restaurants, but after the curry houses of Brick Lane in London, where curries have replaced crumpets as the national meal. The menu, therefore, is lighter on tandooris and khurmas and heavier on kebabs and robust curries.”

Montclair’s Brick Lane is positioned between CVS and A&P supermarket on Valley Road. The restaurant’s second outlet in New York City is on 235 East 53rd Street.

1. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 01, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

A fine addition to Upper Montclair.

2. POSTED BY kkgr  |  February 01, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

So excited about this! I love Brick Lane and now I won’t have to go into the city to enjoy it. Fantastic!

3. POSTED BY caphilly  |  February 01, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Yea!!! Not another Japanese restaurant!!! Can’t wait for this to open!

4. POSTED BY kkgr  |  February 01, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

and p.s. What we really need is a good, and I mean actually good, fresh, delicious Mexican restaurant.

5. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  February 01, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

Coupon clipper that I am, they don’t yet have any coupons for the Montclair shop, only NYC. Throw us burb-heads a bone.

6. POSTED BY Schooled  |  February 01, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

I’m still all about Soho Pizza, but the one time I went to Brick Lane ages ago, it was really, really yummy. It looks like a tiny space, though.

7. POSTED BY Sandy  |  February 02, 2011 @ 8:39 am

What we really need is a good, and I mean actually good, fresh, delicious Jewish Deli with everything home-made!

PS/ We have Mexican, in Seniritas on Glenwood Ave in Blmfd.
    They have terrific Chili !!

8. POSTED BY batman jammies  |  February 02, 2011 @ 8:50 am

um… chili is not Mexican. It’s Tex Mex. Kinda like Senoritas.

9. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Sandy, I think many people avoid Eastern European Jewish deli food due to it’s over the top salt and fat content. But I know how tasty it can be. It usually depends on how much salt and fat content is in the sandwich. The saltier and greasier,the better.
    These days, the handful of boomer Jews I know seem to prefer their idea of Israeli food if they’re looking for “roots’ dining. (-ironically, they’re basically eating Arab food at that point-) I guess they’d rather identify with Israel than some long-forgotten town in Poland.

Last time my wife and I tried an old-school deli was on the Lower East Side, a few years ago, after visiting the Tenement Museum ( a must-see for everyone, BTW) Almost all the customers at that deli were hispanic and black neighborhood folks. But there were lots of flies landing on everything. And the salt shakers were completely unnecessary.

10. POSTED BY thebusiness  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Can we get a korean bbq already?

11. POSTED BY scottie  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Sandy, I’m with you….there are no jewish delis to be found close by, and I, for one, would appreciate one.

The closest thing to Mexican I have had in the area is the truck that goes to the Montclair Farmers Market. Very limited menu, but very authentic.

Good luck to Brick Lane. Can’t wait to try it!

12. POSTED BY Conan  |  February 02, 2011 @ 10:06 am

batman jammies,

Correctamundo! There are a number of border-food restaurants in the area, but authentic, regional Mexican food is hard to find out here. Even in the city, I bet the restaurants are catering to gringo taste buds. The irony is that if you randomly selected 100 fine-dining restaurants in New York City 99 of them probably would have at least one Mexican native on the cooking line. They are too busy preparing Boeuf Bourguignon to open a restaurant serving Estofado Almendrado. My significant other is a big curry fan so I am sure will try Brick Lane when it opens. The most interesting thing I saw on their menu was:

“Phaal — an excruciatingly hot curry, more pain and sweat than flavor, for our customers who do this on a dare, we will require you to state a verbal disclaimer not holding us liable for any physical or emotional damage after eating this curry. If you do manage to finish your serving of curry, a bottle of beer is on us.”

I like the concept of a free beer. 🙂

13. POSTED BY dane  |  February 02, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Spiro, head down to Katz’s Deli. I go there from time to time. It’s got the best Pastrami I’ve ever had, and…while I would have no objections to local folks at surrounding tables, it’s been my experience for years that at Katz’s, you’re surrounded by either tourists, or folks who have made aliyah from the suburbs.

And, just because you have forgotten their names, to some of us, the shtetls aren’t long forgotten at all. Not at all. We have a framed copy of the ship’s manifest, obtained from Ellis Island, that shows my grandfather’s name, indicating that he was “a Hebrew”, and had come from Bialystock, at the very beginning of the 20th Century.

After you’ve eaten, stroll over to Yonah Schimmel and get yourself one of the best knishes you’ll ever eat. You might also like to bring home some sable from Russ & Daughters, and some pickles from The Pickle Guy.

Happy eating and remembering.

14. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  February 02, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Thanks, dane, but really, we’re more DaiKichi than DaiYenu.

15. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 02, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Having grown up on Eastern European food, I think deli is out of fashion now because it’s just not healthy. Same with diners. I think it’s great we’ll finally have a good place for Curry in the ‘hood. There’s already enough sushi and kebobs to go around. It’s a shame that Montclair Station ruined a great opportunity with a liquor license and outdoor space with bad decor, mediocre food and way too many big screen TV’s. It’s not a sports bar, it’s not a restaurant and the outside is an after thought. Too bad.

16. POSTED BY caphilly  |  February 02, 2011 @ 11:15 am

TheBusiness – I’m with you on that Korean BBQ concept!

17. POSTED BY nazlo  |  February 02, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

I’m looking forward to trying Brick Lane.
    As a Texan happily living in NJ for over 16 snowy years, I’m still looking for GOOD Tex-Mex.
    Sorry to say, but Señoritas does not even come close to making the grade.
    Similarly lame: Mexicali Rose. The closest approximation to decent Tex-Mex is Toro Loco in South Orange.
    For fairly authentic Mexican, try Los Tapatios, located in on Main Street in West Orange, 10 feet from the border with Orange; the owners are originally from Guadalajara – try the enchiladas pipian – ¡muy sabroso!

18. POSTED BY Conan  |  February 02, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

Good suggestion, nazlo — I will check that out. Tapatios Springs was the name of the golf club I belonged to in San Antonio. We need to get the guys who own La Fogata in San Antone to build a branch up here! Can you imagine Everclear Margaritas in New Jersey? Scary thought, isn’t it…

19. POSTED BY Karen Banda  |  February 02, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Geez! Y’all are making me hungry, especially you dane!

20. POSTED BY Sandy  |  February 02, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

There is “IRVING’S” Deli, in Livingston, on Rt 10, across from Wigder Chevy. I give it a C+ to a B-
    Each time I go there it gets a little better. I am not “big” on Mexican food, but I do like Senoritas Chilli. I love Aisan and Italian & Jewish . THE absolute best JEWISH…JUST WENT OUT OF BUSINESS! i WEPT. ZAYDIES in So. Orange, inside Eden Garden. Buy & take home. Better than NYC Delis. But some kida dissagrement (I think) caused Zaydies demise. The best potatoe Salad in the world, bar none. He sold 20 pounds a day of it.The turkey was outta this world. Store baked, Kosher, Prime, all white meat, served warm on seedless rye with cole slaw & Russian Dressing on the sandwich & Kosher dill chips.
    I am crying……

21. POSTED BY scottie  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Better than Eppes Essen in West Orange?

22. POSTED BY scottie  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

West Orange + Livingston

23. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  February 02, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

More Daikichi than Daiyenu…that cracked me up. More toro than Torah.

24. POSTED BY tela79  |  February 07, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

For close Korean BBQ, try Keoku on rt 46 west in Parsippany. Not quite NYC Korea Way atmosphere, but authentic and tasty. (it’s all about the prime rib for me)

25. POSTED BY Shaan Khan  |  February 17, 2011 @ 10:59 am

I agree that for best Deli (close to Montclair) nothing beats Irvings. I like that on request they will hand slice the meat (just like Katz), but I rather go just once in a while to lower east side.

Coming back to Brick Lane, seems like (from the menu on their web site) it is just a mishmash of different Indo/Pak cuisines. Further more East 6th Street was always a magnet for starving NYU student on a budget, it was never really known for the quality of their food.

26. POSTED BY eddiebo  |  April 22, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

drove by today
    sign is down
    I think this is a no-go

A great looking building for Montclair Center with appropriate height, massing and details. Bravissimo!