Peter King Loves Montclair’s Osteria Giotto

BY  |  Monday, Jul 25, 2011 5:17pm  |  COMMENTS (10)

Osteria Giotto comes in at No. 6 on a top 10 of vacation highlights of Sports Illustrated senior writer Peter King.

Says King…”And the best meal of a vacation that took us to Trieste, Vienna, New York, Chicago and Minneapolis came in … Montclair, N.J. I’ve blown smoke at Osteria Giotto on Midland Avenue in Montclair a few times, like the time I took Brandon Jacobs of the Giants there two nights before the Giants and Pack played in the NFC Championship Game — and Jacobs loved the lasagna so much he had to get two pieces to go for a late-night snack. It was great to see old friends and to have my annual piece of said lasagna (it’s perfect — not overwhelmingly heavy, but with some different spices, like nutmeg) and the mista salad.”

You won’t find the lasagna ($19.50) on the dinner menu, but it’s always a featured special. Here’s what made King and Jacobs swoon — nine layers of homemade pasta, along with Bolognese and Bechamel sauces, and Parmesan cheese.

1. POSTED BY Annette Batson  |  July 25, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

I used to think my mom’s lasagna was the best. Then I tried Giotto’s…Sorry, Mom.

My other fave is the veggie timbale with balsamic glazed grilled jumbo prawns – an appetizer big enough for lunch. YUM.

2. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  July 25, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Haven’t been in a while. Will have to go back.

But this reminds me, what is missing- in a BIG way- from the B-net redesign- restaurant reviews. In fact thinking about it, I don’t even use this site for restaurant choices anymore, whereas with the “old” version I did. All the time.

Am I missing something, or did the past reviews not migrate over? (I remember reading that they would- in time. But nothing.)

Sad.

3. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  July 25, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

I love everything I’ve ever eaten at Giotto.

4. POSTED BY bebopgun  |  July 25, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Didn’t realize Sports Illustrated was still around.

5. POSTED BY frankgg  |  July 25, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Ah Giotto!! Buonissimo! Favoloso!!

6. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 25, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Frank will take any excuse to break out into Italian.

7. POSTED BY jbs  |  July 25, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

one of my all time faves!!

8. POSTED BY frankgg  |  July 26, 2011 @ 2:46 am

verissimo!

9. POSTED BY megbeattiepatrick  |  July 26, 2011 @ 3:14 am

My son, many years back, came home and pronounced Giotto the best restaurant he’d ever been to. Since then, I’ve had the great privilege to dine there a few times and have always beyond impressed. It’s an experience to behold!

10. POSTED BY oliver  |  July 26, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I don’t get it–the lasagna isn’t on the menu, but is always a featured special?

Sad. Let's hope that this is not its "Last Tango." One of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in town. Valentino, Garbo, Keaton must have played there.