Are You Ready For Your Shot?

BY  |  Tuesday, Sep 13, 2011 4:39pm  |  COMMENTS (16)

The CDC recommends getting your flu vaccine before December and Montclair’s Health Department is at the ready with nine adult clinics for its 2011 seasonal flu vaccine campaign. The flu vaccine clinics are available to Montclair, Cedar Grove, Glen Ridge, and Verona residents who are 18 years of age and older.

Click to the jump to find out when and where, but first — will you get one:

The cost for the clinics is $20. Any person 65 and older with MEDICARE PART B as their PRIMARY INSURANCE will receive the flu vaccine at no cost to them. If you are 65 and older and have HMO insurance, you will have to pay the $20 fee and will need to submit to your own insurance. Medicare is the only insurance we accept for payment.

The pneumonia vaccine will also be offered. Usually, one dose of pneumovax is needed. A second dose is recommended for people aged 65 and older who got their first dose when they were under 65 and if 5 or more years have passed since that dose. The vaccine is now recommended for smokers and asthmatics. Also, a second dose is recommended for people with some chronic conditions. Please check with your physician if you are unsure as to whether or not to get the vaccine.

MONTCLAIR
Wednesday, September 21
Montclair Municipal Building, 205 Claremont Ave, 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday, September 28
First Montclair House, 56 Walnut St., 9:00 – 10:30 am
Pine Ridge Senior Center, 60 Glenridge Ave., 11:00 – 11:45 a.m.
South End Gardens, 340 Orange Rd., 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.

GLEN RIDGE
Wednesday, October 5
Glen Ridge Train Station, Ridgewood & Bloomfield Ave, 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.

CEDAR GROVE
Wednesday, October 12
Cedar Grove Municipal Bldg., 525 Pompton Ave, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Cedar Grove Senior Center, 100 Cedar Ridge Dr., 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

VERONA
Thursday, October 20
Hillwood Senior Apartments, 100 Hillwood Terrace, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Ave, 4:00-7:30 p.m.

Need additional information? Call the Montclair Health Department at 973-509-4970.

1. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  September 13, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

I got mine today. Duane Reade.

2. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  September 13, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

So herb, did you pay out of your pocket – or did you use that unconstitutional and socialist Medicare Part B option?

3. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  September 13, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I want to take a break from the flu shot this year. I never had the flu in my life but 3 years ago, I was scared into getting a shot by my GP, who told me that that particualr strain of flu was known to kill healthy people (She cited a case of one 31-year-old man. One case). I got one for the next two years as well. Thing is, you can get a flu shot but by the time the flu makes its way here, it might not even be the same strain of flu you got inoculated against. A couple of years ago, we were waiting for the BIG FLU EPIDEMIC that never happened. I am glad it DIDN’T happen but what’s with all the hype?

Certain people, of course, should get one: kids, those over 65, people with weakened immune systems.

4. POSTED BY wolfe  |  September 13, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

You mean my mercury, formaldehyde, gentamicin sulfate & polymyxin b, chicken embryos, sodium phosphate, gelatin, polysorbate 80, neomycin sulfate, MSG, sodium deoxycholate, octoxynol 9, 10 and beta propiolactone shot? No, thanks. I’ll take my chances in the wild. 😉

5. POSTED BY MellonBrush  |  September 13, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

wolfe, good one! lol..

6. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  September 13, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I’m guessing Herb used his Medicare card. He’s probably involved in that big Ponzi scheme too, what’s it called? Social Security, I think.

7. POSTED BY Generically Named Mike  |  September 13, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

I’ve had the flu ONCE in my adult life and that was the year I let some co-workers bully me into getting the free flu shot at work.

I’m not saying that the shot is what gave me the flu, just that the vaccine did all of jack in preventing me from getting sick.

8. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  September 13, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Holy smokes, JG, you might be right.

9. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  September 13, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Social Security is NOT A PONZI SCHEME!

10. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  September 13, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

… and Medicare, ROC?

11. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  September 14, 2011 @ 10:03 am

ROC quoting Krugman! I’m surprised you can manage to hold your nose and read the stuff.

12. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  September 14, 2011 @ 10:38 am

It was hard. gurl. I still can’t get the smell out of my nose.

By the way, there are developments in the “Chicken-Fried Petition” story.

13. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  September 14, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I saw that ROC. I think it’s an outrage. I think the Barista’s need to pick up that story. Frankly, nothing surprises me anymore, but for our Mayor to waste so much time and effort on this “cause”, which may now cost the town a small fortune in attorney fees. The town has some really serious problems – the budget? – and this effort to rush the election change to this November’s ballot has me scratching my head. This is not dire – it can be on NEXT November’s ballot. There are other issues that are more pressing and will hugely impact the financial stability of the town. Getting more renters to the ballot box just doesn’t seem like something that should be urgent enough to cause this much tsuris right now.

14. POSTED BY walleroo  |  September 14, 2011 @ 10:55 am

A data point of one. QED

15. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  September 14, 2011 @ 11:08 am

She had a computer model too. So it’s now settled science. Sorry walleroo.

And we can get this project completed in time for Montclair's sesquicentennial when we can stick a fork into historic preservation as a public policy.