Best in Show to Be Judged Tonight at Westminster

BY  |  Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 11:01am  |  COMMENTS (19)

While many of you will be celebrating Valentine’s Day tonight, the Westminster Kennel Club will present the second and final night of the 136th Annual Dog Show at Madison Square Garden

Individual breed judging takes place each day between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. All Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting and Herding breeds and varieties were judged last night. Tonight, all Sporting, Working, and Terrier breeds and varieties will be judged. Best in Show will also be judged this evening.

The competition will be televised live on USA Network from 8 to 10 p.m.

Breed judging highlight videos are available throughout the day on the Westminster web site. These highlights will be available after the show as well.

Six new breeds are appearing at the Westminster this year: the Xoloitzcuintli (I dare you to say that three times fast!), the Entlebucher Mountain Dog, the Norwegian Lundehund, the American English Coonhound, the Finnish Lapphund, and the Cesky Terrier.

Last year’s Best in Show trophy was awarded to GCH Foxcliffe Hickory Wind a.k.a. “Hickory,” a Scottish Deerhound.

About 2,000 dogs will be shown, and each had to work its way to the Garden by winning other shows throughout the nation. This is a show for champions only, a designation that must be earned by the dog and its handler. While Westminster is not the national championship, it is considered the premier competition in the U.S.

Are you showing a dog this year? Have you ever shown a dog? If so, post something in the comments about the experience.

Photo, from 2009, by kjunstorm via Flickr.

1. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 14, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I love all dogs, but Dachshunds rule. I speak from personal experience.

2. POSTED BY Martta Rose  |  February 14, 2012 @ 11:09 am

I’m a Labby girl, as most people know. There was a great article in The Times last year about why certain popular breeds, such as Labs, never win Best in Show at Westminster.

3. POSTED BY Edward Hotel  |  February 14, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I love dogs too, especially Pugs. Perhaps I should contact Stephen Sweeney and see if he can sneak a few lines into the “Gay Marriage Bill”. I can then put “Pugsley” down as a dependent for tax purposes and add him to my health plan!

Just sneak it and then “We have to pass the bill to find out what is in it”

Good Day !

4. POSTED BY frankgg  |  February 14, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

My Neapolitan relative was the chair of some big Dog Show in Italy and she asked me if I could be a translator for the English Bull Dog entries…(I thought (for a second)….what if I dont understand what they are barking at me?….but then I was told that I had to translate for the breeders …and not the dogs…)

5. POSTED BY raeven  |  February 14, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

I never get why the same breeds constantly make it to the final rounds. The dogs are supposed to represent the best of that type of breed. Do you mean to tell me every Pekingese is the best of its breed? That makes no sense statistically. And what people have done to some of these breeds to conform to human standards of what is best is really not good for the dog (that poor shepherd is going to have major hip issues in a few years; and don’t get me started on ear cropping or tail docking).

Anyway, all dogs are great, but my heart goes with the dogs you’ll never see at Westminster–the lovable and varied assortments of a good ole mix.

6. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  February 14, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

I think we should forget about breeds and just have dog shows for mutts. ( Even my beloved Doxie is a mix).

7. POSTED BY mimimichalski  |  February 14, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Westminster doesn’t even recognize my dogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, as a breed – of course mine aren’t pedigreed anyway, being rescues! Westminster goes by American Kennel Club rules and they only recognize the American Staffordshire Terrier, which, although closely related, is not exactly the same. It has certain breed standards that the APBT does not necessarily meet: noses have to be black, coats can’t be majority white, etc. Martta, I hope at some point your Labs will get their due!

8. POSTED BY Sandy  |  February 14, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

We had a pair of beautiful AAfghan Hounds. One Apricut and one honey colored ad when we walked them – – they stopped traffic !

Sadly…they do not live long. Sbot 7-8 years is all ‘ya get.

9. POSTED BY cathar  |  February 14, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Most of the doxies in my life too over the years have been “mixes” of a sort.

10. POSTED BY Martta Rose  |  February 14, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Mixed breeds are great! What always amused me is that some of these “fancy” breeds are mixtures as well (i.e., Labradoodles) so basically, they are just very high-priced mutts!

11. POSTED BY lucinda  |  February 14, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

I’m a rescue beagle kinda gal myself!

12. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  February 14, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

We have been asked what our 7 kinds of bully mix is so often that we made up his breed — according to our mood —
    Irvington Terrier… Ironbound Shorthair… Vailsburg Vizsla

13. POSTED BY macky  |  February 15, 2012 @ 8:46 am

Boo to WKC for their decision to drop sponsor Pedigree because of Pedigree’s heartstring tugging ads encouraging adoption from shelters. According to the Christian Science Monitor,

Long-time show spokesman David Frei told the Associated Press that the Pedigree ads took the wrong approach.

“Show me an ad with a dog with a smile. Don’t try to shame me,” said Frei. “We told [Pedigree] that and they ignored us.”

According to the AP, Frei added that, “Our show is a celebration of dogs. We’re not promoting purebreds at the expense of non-purebreds. We celebrate all dogs. When we’re seeing puppies behind bars, it takes away from that. Not just because it’s sad, but it’s not our message.”

14. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 15, 2012 @ 9:46 am

It looks as if a Tribble has won Best in Show.

15. POSTED BY kit schackner  |  February 15, 2012 @ 10:25 am

(Apologies in advance to owners of this breed:) That wasn’t a dog which won Best In Show. It’s a puffball with legs and a shrill voice.

16. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 15, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Yes, no offense. It’s just not “doggy” enough for me.

17. POSTED BY Nellie  |  February 17, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

————————————————————————–

Double Boo to WKC.

18. POSTED BY pat gilleran  |  February 18, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Every Breed has a rescue group. We’re enamored of German Shorthaired Pointers and have rescued 3 of them(one from the Bloomfield Bukowski Shelter and the other two from Eastern German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue).

Our latest rescue is a German Shorthaired Pointer/Lab mix that we adopted in September 2011. Merlin (renamed from MichaelAngelo)is adorable and part devildog.

He was trucked in from North Carolina with his brothers and sister. Here he is just days before he became part of our family (he’s the pushy one on the right when they come up the stairs). Merlin now weights in at 65lb and is still growing.

He loves the Brookdale Dog Park. Hope to see you all there!

19. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  February 18, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Awww, how cute, Pat. How many doggies do you have?

Another "ground-level basement" (to get around the building height rules)?!