Starting a new school year can be a bit scary for children, especially if it’s their first time in school or they are going to a new school. Will the teacher be nice?, What if I don’t make any friends?, I’ll miss my Mommy and Daddy!—Are just some thoughts that could be going through your child’s mind. Reading books that let a child know that he/she isn’t the only one with those feelings is a great help.
I asked the great women of Watchung Booksellers in Montclair for a list of their favorite Going to School books to take away the jitters.
Here are their picks with a short description of each:
- Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn – Classic feel good secret from Mom on 1st day of school
- It’s Time For Preschool by Esme Codell – sweet, simple
- Marco Goes to School by Roz Chast – A little out of the box with her crazy humor
- Rocket Learns to Read/Rocket Writes a Story, Tad Hills – Fantastic picture books starring the dog Rocket, makes learning fun
Carolyn adds, “And of course it’s September so EVERYONE goes to school – Froggy, Elmo, the Berenstain Bears, Spot….”
- Kindergarten Diary by Antoinette Portis – Explores feelings, cool illustrations, quirky and strong girl character, diverse characters
- Miss Bindergarten gets Ready For Kindergarten by Joseph Slate – Animals, ABCs and and a day in kindergarten.
- I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (Charlie and Lola) by Lauren Child – Older brother encouraging little sister that she’s ready for school
- My Teacher by James Ransome – A tribute to teachers, diverse characters
But what about your Tween? Going to middle school has a whole other set of worries for kids. Carolyn from Watchung Booksellers suggests to take a positive approach:
- Get Organized Without Losing It
- How to Take the Grrr out of Anger
- See You Later Procrastinator
- How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up
- Stress Can Really Get On Your Nerves
- Bullies Are A Pain In the Brain
And Carolyn adds, “And DO NOT go back to school (adults also) without having first read Wonder by R.J Palacio—All you ever need to know about kindness.
Do you have a favorite Going to School book not on our list? Share it with us!