Clifton Dentist Takes Down His Annual Creepy Halloween Display on Grove Street

BY  |  Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 7:00am  |  COMMENTS (11)

Dr. Wayne GangiDr. Wayne Gangi is angrier than the creepy, bloody killers he displays in his annual Halloween decorations on Grove Street in Clifton. After the City told him to remove his decorations from city-owned trees, where he hooks his cables to hang his creatures, Dr. Gangi took everything down. They say it violates city ordinances, he says it’s all politics. He put up signs saying “Clifton Politics Cancels Halloween” and “Call the Mayor 973.470.5757,” CBSLocal.com reports.

The dentist has been putting together an extravagant Halloween display for years, making it bigger and gorier each Halloween. Clifton has been killing his Halloween spirit for the past couple of years when the Clifton PD started issuing traffic tickets to the large crowds who come to see the scary house. This year, Dr. Wayne Gangi says they have gone too far.

1. POSTED BY idratherbeat63  |  October 19, 2013 @ 7:33 am

How unfortunate. Dr. Gangi brought a lot of happiness to many children over the years with his Halloween and Christmas decorations. It is a shame when the police and politicians behave in this way.

2. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  October 19, 2013 @ 8:41 am

Like some Colleges, schools and towns– Clifton hates its citizens. Sure they “found” a reason, but I suspect the real reason is some neighbor complained (you know, the one who enjoyed it at first), or the cops tired or you know, dealing with traffic.

Either way. For Clifton, the answer was simple: END IT!!! Why? Because they hate their citizens (that’s not to say that there are not some very good folks work work and lead the town, but whoever made this decision– without trying to work a compromise- hates kids, chocolate, fun, America, babies and bunnies).

And hanging zombies.

3. POSTED BY idratherbeat63  |  October 19, 2013 @ 9:13 am

Let’s hope the Grinch didn’t steal Christmas in Verona too.

4. POSTED BY PAZ  |  October 19, 2013 @ 10:34 am

Ban every bit of decor!…….Except political lawn signs….can’t have enough of those, especially around the enter & exit ramps on our local highways.

5. POSTED BY walleroo  |  October 19, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Oh come on, how far should the nutty dentist have beeen allowed to take this? Don’t get me wrong, I am all for eccentricity, but the display was already consuming as much power as the entire Indian subcontinent.

6. POSTED BY theprimroseplath  |  October 19, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

Oh please, he pays the electricity bills, doesn’t he? The town deals with this a few measly weeks out of the year. I’m siding with Prof. on this one. Such a lame call. I wish he didn’t take it all down, but I understand his frustration. My husband and I always loved going to see the display.

7. POSTED BY Kristin  |  October 19, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

My kids and their gore-loving mother will be very, very sad. They have looked forward to this for three years now. Luckily, I took loads of photos last year, so I guess it’s time to figure out how to make a slideshow of a photo set.

8. POSTED BY Menben  |  October 20, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

Luckily, I was able to walk by last weekend when most of it was up, and Dr. Gangi was about finalizing some touches. Got to speak to him briefly, seemed excited, although he mentioned a few vandals earlier in the week took some of the decorations from the property. I’m sure a simple “please move it off the trees and lines” would have sufficed here.

9. POSTED BY ali9ia  |  October 21, 2013 @ 11:53 am

I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m glad that Clifton made him curb is display. And FYI, that is all they did – it was the Dr.’s decision to take it all down. So who’s not compromising here?!! Prof, you have clearly not been following this story if you do not think Clifton has not tried to compromise. The city so much as offered him use of municipal property to put up this display – property that had a large parking lot attached to it – to minimize the safety issues. It is Dr. Gangi who has refused to budge. He has shown a complete lack of concern and respect for public safety and regulations, IMO, and I think you might agree if it weren’t something you personally enjoyed seeing.

10. POSTED BY Nellie  |  October 21, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

So people are still determined to ruin Halloween, even though there’s no Sandy or freak snowstorm predicted.

11. POSTED BY wcs2  |  October 21, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

That is seriously disappointing. Last year was cut short for Sandy, so my son and I were really looking forward to going this year.
    I understand his frustration, but what a disappointment.

Sad. Let's hope that this is not its "Last Tango." One of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in town. Valentino, Garbo, Keaton must have played there.