Hanukkah is early this year, like really early, with the first night falling on Wednesday, November 27 ,and the first day of Hanukkah coinciding with Thanksgiving Day on Thursday, November 28. This rare overlap of Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah won’t happen again for thousands of years (although in 2070 the first night of Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving), which has many people celebrating the extra-special holiday of Thanskgivukkah this year.
Here are some great ways to celebrate Hanukkah, many with a Thanksgiving twist:
- First, if you haven’t already, watch Stephen Colbert’s hilarious Thanksgiving Under Attack – Hanukkah to get in the holiday spirit.
- Cook a Thanksgiving meal that incorporates Hanukkah as well. There are lots of menus online full of ideas, and some of the best Thanksgivukkah recipes I’ve found are from The Shiksa in the Kitchen (Challah Slow Cooker Stuffing) and BuzzFeed (Pecan Pie Rugelach). Or make our own Lisa Davies’ Sweet Potato Latkes with Pear Sauce!
- Give yourself a Midrash Manicure. You can purchase traditional Hanukkah nail decals ($11.99) and add your own Thanksgivukkah touches, as pictured below:
- Decorate your Thanksgiving table with a Menurkey – a turkey menorah. And hurry – all online orders must be received by midnight on Tuesday, November 19, to ensure delivery by the big day on November 28.
- Help the kids make their very own handprint turkey menorah.
- Wrap Hanukkah gifts in Turkey Menorah wrapping paper.
- Visit the Hanukkah Spot: A Pop-Up Miracle in the Hinck Building atrium outside of the Bow Tie Clairidge Theater (486 Bloomfield Avenue). For six nights from Wednesday, November 27, to Wednesday, December 4 (no events on Thursday and Friday nights), there will be candle-lightings at 5:30pm and select evenings will have latkes, music and more, including a puppet show on Tuesday, December 3, from 4:00 to 5:30pm. Hosted by five area synagogues and the J Connection Montclair/PJ Library Metrowest, you can get more details and the full schedule of events here.
- Celebrate by watching the just-released DVD, Mama Doni’s Jewish Holiday Party.
Mama Doni & The Mama Doni Band also have a Chanukah Special that will be airing on Sirius/XM Satellite Radio’s Kids Place Live (Channel 78) on Friday, November 29 at 9:00pm, November 30 at 9:00am and 5:00pm, and Sunday at 12:00pm. There’s also a DVD release party and Chanukah Concert at the JCC Metrowest on Monday, November 25 at 6:15pm. Admission is free but RVSP to Emmy Atlas: email@example.com.
We are giving away a copy of Mama Doni’s Jewish Holiday Party (DVD) and Mama Doni: The Acoustic Jewish Holiday Collection (CD)!
To enter, just let us know your favorite Hanukkah song or food in comments,
Contest starts Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 8 am EST and ends on Friday, November 21, at 2 pm EST. One person who leaves a comment by friday, November 21, 2013 at 2 pm will be chosen at random to receive the prize pack described above.
You MUST leave a comment here to be entered and you may only comment once to get an entry, but if you want another entry and up your chances of winning, here are a couple of ways:
- Follow us on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway. Make sure to include @baristakids and @MamaDoni in your tweet.
- Subscribe to our newsletter here and send us a message telling us you did with your email address.