Have you attended one of Montclair Art Museum’s free “First Thursday Night” events yet? It’s a great way to learn more about the cultural gem, while enjoying special programs, live music, tours, and a full-service bar.
This month’s event takes place this week on Thursday, November 7th, from 5–9 pm and will feature a trunk show with Gayle Mahoney, the return of the Ask-the-Archivist booth, a photography workshop with Phil Cantor, an artist talk presented by Gallery Aferro.
- Tours of 100 Works for 100 Years: A Centennial Celebration (Part One) will be offered every hour on the half hour (5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.).
- Live music, 5–9 p.m., provided by the Montclair State John J. Cali School of Music Jazz Studies.
- Draw Along Workshop, 5–9 p.m. – Come draw with us! Grab a pencil and some paper and try your hand at sketching with one of the Yard School of Art’s teaching artists. Take your turn at drawing from a live model or observe as an expert captures a likeness. Supplies are provided for this free activity.
- Trunk Show: Gayle Mahoney, 5–9 p.m. – The Store at MAM will host a trunk sale with local artist Gayle Mahoney at November’s Free First Thursday Night. Gayle Mahoney is a jewelry artist living and working in Montclair, New Jersey. She makes handmade art jewelry with recycled silver and ceramic sculpture.
- Ask the Archivist, 5:30–7:30 p.m. – Want to learn more about MAM’s history? Our centennial archival team will be on hand in the Centennial Lounge to answer questions about MAM.
- Strike a Pose! 6–9 p.m. Do you HATE posing for pictures? Phil Cantor, ofPhil Cantor Photography, will let you in on the secrets of standing and smiling for photographs that bring out the best in you. He’ll photograph you using YOUR OWN smart phone—then you can send it to your friends or use as your new avatar.
- This Is Us, Process and Practice, presented by Gallery Aferro, 7 p.m. – This artist talk will feature Ruby Amanze, Dahlia Elsayed, Phoenix Lindsey-Hall, Nyugen E. Smith and Ken Weathersby. A lively, irreverent, and deeply considered dialogue will revolve around process from the very first moment of inspiration to the vast exploration of WHY? Why did s/he make it like that, why that shape, texture or color, what does it all mean?
- Cookie Sampling, 5–9 p.m. – Taste scrumptious samples from Devilish & Divine Pastry and Dessert Caterers.
- Food for purchase available at Hunger Construction.