You have an extra long holiday weekend after Thanksgiving. What to do? Personally, I eat leftovers, attend a close friend’s annual holiday kick off party, and start decorating for Christmas.
But if you enjoy shopping on Black Friday, avoid the crowds by staying local:
- Find unique artistic gifts for everyone on your list at The annual Montclair Art Museum Holiday Boutique from November 29 through December 1. MAM members receive 20% off all merchandise!
- Watchung Booksellers celebrates Festisvus—for the rest of us! Use the secret password (Bagel) at checkout on Friday between 10 am – 7 pm and get 20% off store-wide.
- Get a start on your holiday shopping at the Women’s Club of Glen Ridge’s Shopapalooza event this Sunday, December 1 from 12 pm – 5 pm. Back by popular demand, this shopping extravaganza returns to our clubhouse. It takes place on the last day of the Thanksgiving weekend, when we hope to find everyone still in a shopping mood, but ready to stay close to home. They will be serving champagne, mimosas and bloody marys along with small finger food to enjoy as you shop at over twenty vendors in the Williamsburg Room.
- Montclair Center continues its Festive Saturdays by participating in Small Business Saturday. Many merchants will be collecting canned goods, toys, or winter clothing to donate to local charities. In exchange for your kindness, special events & sales specifically for donors will be offered in select stores.
- The Fine Grind Coffee Bar in Little Falls celebrates Small Business Saturday with an all day fun-filled event. Samples of Fine Grind fare will be on tap, live music throughout the festivities, and unique retail items will be for sale so you can get your holiday shopping done early! The Fine Grind has chocolates, cute mugs, loose tea and tea bags, pounds of coffee, coffee/tea paraphernalia, jewelry, organic body products, t-shirts, books and more! These retail items are ideal gifts for teachers, co-workers, mother in laws, friends and the coffee and tea lovers in your life. This is a perfect opportunity to shop, relax, eat, drink and enjoy a simple moment stopping to smell the coffee beans.
- In Maplewood Village, shops are participating in Small Business Saturday too. Participating merchants will celebrate with promotions, refreshments, in-store events and more.Visit each participating merchant to jump start your Holiday season. Check out the list of participating merchants and special offers here.
After shopping, attend one of these great events:
Robin Spielberg’s beautifully written memoir Naked on the Bench: My Adventures in Pianoland. offers readers an inside look at many of the entertaining series of events and circumstances that the author encountered throughout her illustrious career as a professional pianist. She’ll be at Watchung Booksellers in Montclair to discuss and sign her book on Saturday. Whether it’s performing at a private party for television news legend Peter Jennings, acting on the stages of Lincoln Center, or trekking through the Montana wilderness with a Steinway in tow, Spielberg tells of her adventures with authenticity, humor, and passion.
Robin Spielberg: Naked on the Bench: My Adventures in Pianoland!
Saturday, November 30 at 1 pm
Watchung Booksellers, 54 Fairfield Street, Montclair, NJ, 07042
Also on Saturday, enjoy an old fashioned Edison family Christmas and visit Thomas Edison’s 1880 Victorian estate, Glenmont, decorated just as it was for the holidays. Listen to the stories of how the Edison family celebrated Christmas while you admire the twelve foot tall Christmas tree in the Den during this guided tour. Admission fee also includes entrance to Thomas Edison’s famous “Invention Factory.” Tickets for Glenmont are first come first served – so arrive early in the day.
An Edison Family Christmas
Saturday, November 30 from 11 am – 3:30 pm
Thomas Edison National Historical Park, 211 Main Street, West Orange, NJ
The Opera Theatre of Montclair will present Mozart’s “Die Zauberflöte”— “The Magic Flute” – in an abridged version suitable for all ages. The opera will be sung in German with an English narration, staged and costumed, with chamber orchestra conducted by Robert W. Butts. Stage direction by Mia Riker-Norrie. All singers, conductor, orchestra, staff and venue are donating their services to benefit Opera Theatre of Montclair.
The Magic Flute
Sunday, December 1 at 6 pm
Redeemer Montclair, 19 North Willow Street, Montclair, NJ, 07042
Tickets are $25 and can be purchased online here or at the door.