Throughout the week we are highlighting one essential life skill daily, with pointers for parents of teens and college students. You can truly empower teens to be real about their lives and build the muscles for the college experience, and competent independence.
Coping With Stress:
Parents can help develop this skill by encouraging teens to do the following:
- Explore healthy outlets for stress management: exercise, yoga, relaxation
- Understand what triggers their anxiety and/or depression
- Understand the impact of sleep and food choices
- Encourage the development of helpful strategies to deal with their feelings
- Understand when and how to pursue professional help
Important because transition may be stressful, overwhelming, have obstacles, and trigger emotions. Depression and other mental health challenges sometimes surface at this age.
Maureen P. Tillman, L.C.S.W., is the founder and director of College with Confidence, a comprehensive psychotherapy service, with offices in Maplewood and Morristown, that supports parents and young adults through the college experience.