Wednesday nights at Flood Hill in South Orange are the place to be. For twenty years, Free Concerts in the Park has entertained families and visitors to South Orange each Wednesday night in July. Now under a new name, with expanded opportunities for fun, South Orange Summer Nights presents “Taste the Music”–concerts, food trucks, and activities for kids and families.
The music, featuring an exciting line-up of some of today’s top performers in soul, reggae, pop, rock ‘n roll and more begins at 7:30 pm and is free to attend, no tickets required. In the event of inclement weather, all events will be canceled.
“Taste the Music” schedule:
- July 1-Mark Murphy and Friends, an evening of performances by singer-songwriters.
- July 8th-Max Headroom and the Counterfeiters take the stage. Considered the “New Kids on the Block,” Max Headroom is a totally rad Journey through the 80’s – a must see tribute band. The Counterfeiters are the best of the best 80’s and 90’s party-rock band turning every performance into a night to remember.
- July 15- Dub Proof & Eastbourne step up the summer heat. Dub Proof is a reggae-groove oriented band known for its hardworking attitude and freewheeling shows. Eastbourne is a three-piece Latin Reggae Surf Rock band – Skaggae Rock, if you will – who promise a raw, live performance that will have your heads banging and your hips shaking.
- July 22- Rave On! & Bottle Cap Rockets. The music of Rave On! and the Bottle Cap Rockets is steeped in the earliest forms of rock and roll. The bands are living proof that Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison and the music of early rock and roll is timeless.
- July 29- Rock the Hill returns for its seventh year delighting audiences at Meadowland Park with its eclectic mix of local and visiting garage rock bands.
Pre-concert activities begin at 6pm when the food trucks start to arrive. Amanda Bananas, Oink and Moo BBQ, Pizza Vita, The Original Soup Man and The Thai Elephant will offer yummy treats or a full dinner to discerning food lovers.
Free art in the park for kids and families also will begin at 6pm. Week one features a rare visit from the Montclair Art Museum Art Truck! In addition, Denise Hayden, known for her popular Funky Fun Art classes and vacation camps at the Baird will present a new art project each week for kids and families to try.
South Orange Summer Nights “Taste the Music”
Wednesday nights in July at 6 pm
Flood’s Hill in Meadowland Park, 70 North Ridgewood Road, South Orange, NJ