With Thanksgiving on Thursday, the official holiday shopping season begins this weekend. We say ditch the crowded malls and shop locally on Saturday. You’ll support small businesses and get unique gifts for your loved ones.
A nationwide event, Small Business Saturday was founded by American Express in 2010 to help small businesses get more exposure during one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year. The day encourages people to shop at small businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The single day has grown into a powerful movement, and more people are taking part than ever before. This year, the big day is November 28.
Here are what some local stores are offering:
- The Upper Montclair Business District is celebrating with great deals, fun events and a kickoff of a fun social media campaign.Take a selfie in front of your favorite Uptown storefront or light Display, post to your social media of choice, and use the hashtag #lightUPtown. Shops will offer great discounts and specials. Some highlights include:
- Montclair Pop-Up is back for 2015! They have a new space— 5 Church Street, a new look, and new handmade gifts. Visit on Small Business Saturday to get a first look of the new inventory.
- Verdigreen (182 Glenridge Avenue, Montclair) will have wonderful handcrafted homegoods, gifts, jewelry, canldes, and more at great discounts. Plus treats!
- Dirt and Noise (43a Church Street, Montclair) has a very special guest visiting on Saturday—Olaf from Frozen! Bring the kids to meet him and do a craft and get your shopping done.
Celebrate your inner Fitnatic with special events, promotions and more at Fleet Feet (603 Bloomfield Avenue, Montclair). From “Runner Dad,” to “Tech Star,” to “Woman On The Go,” Fleet feet every gift to make your Fitnatic happy.
- Sunshine Sam (40 W Passaic Avenue, Bloomfield) is celebrating by filling 10 bags with its favorite items from the store. Each bag will have a theme, and the first 10 purchases of the day will receive a bag! The event runs from 10:30 am – 6:30 pm.
- Get cool, unique gifts at Basemeant WRX and enjoy authentic Belgium waffles and hot chocolate from Waffle it and Co. from 11 – 3 pm. Waffle it and Co!
Check out Small Business Saturdays online directory to find other local businesses who are participating. Happy #ShopSmall shopping!