Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. presented awards to the children and families who participated in the Essex County Environmental Center’s 11th Annual Sustainable Homes and Habitats Gingerbread Contest on Saturday, December 19. There were 47 entries in this year’s contest.
“Our Sustainable Homes and Habitats Gingerbread Contest is a wonderful project that incorporates our mission to raise awareness about nature with a holiday theme. This hands-on, family-oriented contest lets people of all ages learn about the environment in a fun way,” DiVincenzo said. “I am amazed at the creativeness and ingenuity of the entries each winter. Everyone who participated in this contest was a winner,” he noted.
Here are some local winners:
- First Place: Katherine, Izzy, Grace and Maddy Whelan from Essex Fells.
- Second Place: Ella, Ashlyn, Avery, Hayden, Patrick and Alicea McAdams from Montclair.
- Third Place: Joe Catena and Brennan Cunningham and their leader Judy Sorrentino from Pack 801 Webelos in Roseland.
Individual Child Category
- First Place: Mesgana Geberyesus from West Orange.
- Second Place: Gabrielle King from Newark.
- Third Place: Natalie Steele from Montclair.
Entries were judged on distinctiveness, creative use of a nature theme, use of “green” building design techniques and skill in decoration. The gingerbread homes were on display at the Essex County Environmental Center during the month of December.