Flowers are blooming, birds are chirping, and the temperatures are warming up. Spring has sprung! (on March 20 officially) And that means spring cleaning is in order. In addition to your home, now is a great time to edit your closet. Closet editing is the best way to make sure all your clothes and accessories are at your fingertips, while making room for any new items you will need to buy for the season.
Fifth + Park, a style & image consulting company serving New York and New Jersey with core services in image consulting, personal shopping and event styling, offers some tricks to make the job a little easier and fun:
- First things first, get rid of the items you no longer can fit, do not want or are damaged. One fun way to get rid of those unwanted clothes is to have a Swap Party with your girlfriends. That’s right, you can gain new items and get rid of the ones you don’t want all while having laughs and drinks with your best girlfriends. Leftover items can then be turned into profit by consigning or selling them on eBay. With thrifting becoming so popular, this is a sure way to make some extra cash. And as the saying goes, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
- Pack away clothes that you won’t use any longer. These items are completely up to you because we all have transitional items that can be worn all year round. As you start to pack away winter items, it’s very important to make sure you are protecting your clothes using appropriate storage equipment and don’t forget the boot shapers!
- After you have gotten rid of all the items you no longer want and have packed away items you won’t need, it’s time to go over what you’re keeping. This will help you to be able to determine what you need to buy. Do you need to replace that white button down that you threw away because it had a stain? Maybe you need a pair of pants to go with that oversized tee you brought last spring but never wore. This is also the perfect time to find pieces that can go with the fall and winter season items you are not putting away, making these items more appropriate for the spring season.
- Now the fun begins — shopping! The best rule of thumb is to make sure you have the essentials, either by creating a list of things you need or at least having an idea of what you are looking for. Looking through magazines, searching online and social media are all good ways to find out what new trends are out. Here are a few key essentials that you will need for your new wardrobe this season:
- Jewelry: statement earrings are back and better than ever.
- Handbag: this season will prove to be the season of bag trends, which is perfect if you are looking to add a pop of color to your wardrobe. This season’s handbag trends are bright bold colors, shiny silver, whickered, and slouched clutches.
- T-shirts: rack up on this staple item in different colors, styles and lengths. They can be worn casually but also can be dressed up. T-shirts are always a good staple to have.
- Flats: we all love high heels but today’s flats are not like your grandmother’s flats. This season is full of styles that are cute and trendy with tassels and unique heels.
Now that you have an outline of different ways to edit and spruce up your closet for spring, the only thing left to do is to get your friends together, plan out your strategy, and get spring ready!
(Top photo: Flickr)