Lots of great events to enjoy this first weekend in March!
We told you about:
- Local St. Patrick’s Day Parades and Events
- Montclair High School Dance Company show
- Open Book / Open Mind Series: Khalil Gibran Muhammad in Conversation With David Troutt
- The Million Dollar Bash: Tribute to Bob Dylan at Outpost in the Burbs
- Downton Abbey Ball at Liberty Hall Museum
Here’s what else is happening this weekend:
MAM’s First Free Thursday Night happens tonight and offers more free fun, food, and, of course, art. Here are some of the things you’ll enjoy:
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day early with a live acoustic Irish music trio featuring L. E. McCullough, Amy Beshara, and Max Carmichael
- Live performances of Abbot and Costello’s “Who’s on First?” with Joe Iovino and Greg Cancro
- Interactive art project by artist Juana Rodriguez, presented in collaboration with the MFA program at Montclair State University
- Full-service bar with special Free First Thursday Night prices in partnership with UPSTAIRS. MAM members receive a special discount on drinks at the bar!
- First Free First Thursday Night to feature “American Visions: 1870–1940, Works from the Bank of America Collection”
- Food from the Empanada Guy food truck.
Free First Thursday Nights at MAM
Thursday, March 3 from 5 pm – 9 pm
Montclair Art Center, 3 South Mountain Avenue, Montclair, NJ, 07042
Enjoy a great night of music at Tierney’s in Montclair with some of Hudson County’s finest bands (Head Cheerleader and Karyn Kuhl Band) meeting up with Montclair’s own The Porchistas.
The Porchistas, Karyn Kuhl Band & Head Cheerleader at Tierneys Tavern
Friday, March 4 at 8:30 pm
Tierney’s Tavern, 136 Valley Road, Montclair, NJ, 07042
$10 at the door
The Cali School of Music/Dept. of Theatre and Dance at MSU will present one more weekend of The Producers. Enjoy the story of fading Broadway producer Max Bialystock, who convinces accountant Leo Bloom to help him produce the guaranteed flop Springtime for Hitler, so they can run off with the money. This laugh-out-loud spectacle may be the funniest musical of all time!
March 3 and 4 at 7 :30 pm / March 5 at 2 pm
Alexander Kasser Theater, 1 Normal Ave, Montclair, NJ 07043
Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online here
The Jenny Pilots, with special guest Nick Piro, will perform at Trend Coffee & Tea House in Montclair on Saturday night. The songwriting team of Mark Nuzzi and Joe Furnari are founding members of the 90′s rock band Soul Engines. They are currently assembling songs for an upcoming release in early 2016.
The Jenny Pilots
Saturday, March 5 at 8 pm
Trend Coffee & Tea House, 411 Bloomfield Avenue, Montclair, NJ, 07042
Regina Carter will perform at SOPAC on Saturday night. Carter is considered the foremost jazz violinist of her generation. For Regina, the violin isn’t merely an improvisational vehicle. For Regina Carter, the violin is a passport to unexpected realms, a Rosetta stone that unlocks the door to a myriad of cultures and worlds. Carter will perform from her critically acclaimed release, Southern Comfort, on which she explores the folk music of the South.
Saturday, March 5 at 8 pm
SOPAC, One SOPAC Way, South Orange, NJ
Tickets are $38 – $48 and can be purchased online here
Ms. Lauryn Hill will perform at The Wellmont Theater on Sunday night. Hill’s prolific rhymes catapulted her into the public eye as a member of the Fugees and as a solo artist with her amazing debut The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.
Sunday, March 6 at 8 pm
The Wellmont Theater, 5 Seymour Street, Montclair, NJ, 07042
Tickets are $29.50 and $124.50 and can be purchased online here
A leader in the Afro-Cuban, Brazilian and jazz fields as a drummer and percussionist, multi-Grammy nominee Bobby Sanabria brings Quarteto Aché to Dorthaan’s Place, NJPAC’s Sunday jazz brunch series on Sunday. Sanabria, recognized as one of the most articulate musician-scholars of la tradición working today, has performed with a veritable who’s-who in the worlds of jazz and Latin music, as well as his own critically acclaimed ensembles. A sumptuous buffet brunch, including an omelet station and a medley of desserts, is served at NICO Kitchen + Bar at 11am and 1pm, with performances scheduled at 11:30am and 1:30pm.
Jazz Brunch at NJPAC: Bobby Sanabria
Sunday, March 6 at 11 am and 1 pm
NICO Kitchen & Bar at NJPAC, 1 Center Street, Newark, NJ
$45 pp. Reservations online here
This weekend is a Museums On Us weekend, which means that any Bank of America or Merrill Lynch cardholder will receive free museum admission to the following area museums:
- Montclair Art Museum (MAM), 3 South Mountain Avenue, Montclair, NJ.
- Newark Museum, 49 Washington Street, Newark, NJ.
- Aljira, A Center for Contemporary Art, 591 Broad Street, Newark, NJ.
- Morris Museum, 6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown, NJ.
- Liberty Science Center, 222 Jersey City Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY.
- Whitney Museum of Art, 945 Madison Avenue, New York, NY.
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan, 212 W. 83rd Street, New York, NY.
- Brooklyn Historical Society, 128 Pierrepont Street, New York, NY
Museums on Us
Saturday, March 5 and Sunday, March 6
Free admission for each cardholder (debit or credit) at participating museums
Check our Calendar for more happenings this weekend and enjoy!