Montclair To Represent At Women’s March on Washington

BY  |  Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 12:01pm  |  COMMENTS (77)

Women's March on Washington

Many Montclair women and their daughters will join the hundreds of thousands of women across the country to attend the Women’s March on Washington or another of the local sister marches in NJ or NYC on Saturday, January 21. Whether they take buses organized by local women, drive, or take a train, they will all get together to stand together in solidarity for the protection of women’s rights, safety,  health, and their families.

Baristanet spoke with several of the women (and one man) to learn what joining the march means to them:

women's march on washington pussy hats

Jennifer Bonnell:

I’m going down to march in DC on Saturday, and have made 26 pussy hats (see 21 of the 26 hats Jen knitted above) I’m marching because our voices need to be heard, and we need to be seen.  I will not allow my two boys to grow up in a society where women, people of color, and non-Christian religious beliefs are not respected.

I am a knitter–a fast one–so literally the very least I could do was crank out as many pussy hats as possible as a form of craftivism. Art and craft can help change the world by connecting a visual to a message. My hope is that the mass of pink pussy hats will be one hell of a visual image–one that will resonate across the country and across the world to let all know that we will not be silenced.

Jennifer Prost: “I’m marching in Washington, D.C. because I think it’s important to show the world how many Americans strongly disapprove of everything Trump stands for. I’m marching with my daughter, in memory of my mom who recently passed away. A holocaust survivor, she was appalled by Trump.”

Sarah Stibbe Damaskos: “Why? For the life of me, I just cannot figure out why we don’t live in a people-centered planet. Why is it so difficult to have each person valued for what they bring to the table not because of their gender, identified-gender, color, or partner preference? From what I can see, amazing people come in all varieties — as do the bad eggs. As a woman who deeply values my female friends, work associates and family, I am SO EXCITED to be en masse for this demonstration of value, unity and positive action!”

women's march on washington

Mia Riker-Norrie, General Director of Opera Theatre of Montclair:

I have read through the Platform presented by the organizers of The Women’s March, and wholeheartedly agree with its principles and goals. As for the Pussy Hat, unfortunately, I did not pay attention when my beloved Auntie tried to teach me to knit!  Instead, my husband’s cousin’s dear wife, Polly Ann Norrie of St. Paul, Minnesota, is generously knitting me a hat “befitting a Diva”! (photo above). I see the hat itself as a symbol of feminine unity and resistance to the repugnant attitudes and actions of the President-elect, Vice President-elect, Senate and Congress.

Why will I march?:

As the head of an opera company, I know that many of my artists are beneficiaries of Obamacare.  Several in particular would not be alive today if not for the ACA.  I march for them and for the hope that we all will eventually have universal health care, as they do in Europe.

I march because women deserve respect and equal treatment.

I march for my daughter who wanted to leave her hard-won spot at the world’s top conservatory so SHE could march.

I march for my future daughters-in-law and granddaughters, to protect their freedoms which are currently under attack.

I march for many of my friends and children’s friends who have been the victims of sexual assault.

I march because I was raised by two incredibly strong women who adored me and who struggled to raise me on meagre social security checks after my father died.

My mother and aunt were also the first-generation children of Italian immigrants. Immigrants built this country, fought for this country and helped make it great.  I march for immigrants and the children of immigrants, that they will not be persecuted, but instead welcomed and encouraged.

I’m just one New Jersey mom, but I march for the future of humanity along with my sisters.

Chanda Hall: “Our family will be attending the Women’s March on Washington. I was reluctant to go at first – such a logistical headache! – but I realized that it’s so easy to think of reasons not to do something. It’s important to me to teach my daughters how to speak up for themselves, that they have a voice and that voice matters. I also want them to experience the power of people coming together for a common cause. You have to engage to bring about change. There is power in fighting for what you believe in.”

Women's March on Washington Trapped

Karen Cahn, founder of iFundWomen: “I am attending but I’m not wearing a pussy hat. I’m wearing an iFundWomen hat for financial freedom and women-led businesses and a Trapped t-shirt.” Trapped is a film by Dawn Porter, a former Montclair resident, that tells the fight U.S. reproductive health clinics are battling to remain open.

Laura Torchio:

I’m marching in NYC on January 21 because the November punch-in-the-gut election has left me breathless but not voiceless. I will march with my friend and our daughters against sexism and racism and for unity, equality, and love. I will continue to watch closely and act swiftly.

Our signs will honor the women and men who walked before us and on whose shoulders we stand. As we are reminded on this day of service in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
“We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back.”

I made my pink pussy hat (out of felt because I don’t knit) and I will wear it in solidarity with every person who agrees being “grabbed” without consent (in word or deed) is repugnant and unacceptable.

Selma Avdicevic will be in Utah this weekend and will attend a Women’s’ March in Park City:  “I march for America I know and love. America that reaches out to the tired, the poor, and all those yearning to be free, to paraphrase Emma Lazarus. If you love something, you fight for it. If you have something that you strongly believe in, you don’t walk away. You fight.”

Evan Cutler, a Montclair man, is headed to the NYC march with his family: “I’m not marching as a “man.” I’m marching as a father and a husband who believes women’s rights are human rights. There’s power in numbers. The bigger the turnout, the stronger the message to Trump that we will fight each and every ridiculous move he makes starting from day one.

Linda Federico-ó Murchú:

I’m going to the march in DC to protest the election of someone I consider an illegitimate president. In addition to losing the popular vote, he was apparently aided by a hostile foreign power during his campaign — and may still be. Just yesterday American troops were deployed to five countries that border Russia. Our NATO allies asked for military protection, in fear of a Trump presidency. That’s something to think about.

Beyond these concerns, I’m attending the march in opposition to everything Trump stands for ideologically. I’m opposed his treatment of women, minorities, people with disabilities, immigrants, Muslims, the working class, the poor — and of course, the press. I’m protesting a person who makes a mockery of something I consider sacred: the truth. That might sound erudite but I’m a journalist. I make my living defending the truth.

It’s so important for people to protest this potentially dangerous person, who lied and cheated his way into the White House. I believe we must stand together against him, in protection of our democratic rights and freedoms.

women's march on washington

To help those traveling to D.C. or NYC, Montclair Bread Co. will be selling packed lunches ($8) and special doughnuts ($8-$12) for those attending the marches. DC pick up available at the production facility on Label Street from 4-4:30 am / NYC pick up available at Walnut Street from 8-9 am. Advanced orders only – cut off is Friday, January 20 at noon. For anyone leaving earlier, they will offer a Friday noon-5pm pick up option. Every order will be treated to a complimentary coffee to get you energized for the day’s events! Place your orders here.

Women's March on Washington

For those not attending a march, but who want to join in solidarity, The Creativity Caravan (28 South Fullerton Avenue, Montclair) will host an Open Studio, from 9:30 am – 12 pm and again at 6 pm – 9 pm, inviting locals to join in “making art being made by the hands of anyone who isn’t going to a march, but who wants to be a part of “a thing that reminds us there’s good in the world, a thing that reminds us there’s still something out there worth fighting for.”

1. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 19, 2017 @ 2:48 pm

As a fellow American woman I ask, why don’t you wait until the man takes office and fails to protest? Personally, I never thought of the President as “pastor in chief” – Bill Clinton, JFK? You think they had respect and treated women well? Did you protest when Bill had sex with a 22 year old child in the White House? What if that had been your daughter, would you have thought it was just fine? The double standard is astounding.
    When we go from an anemic less than 2% economic growth, to 4% or higher under Trump….when the horrendous shape of our health care costs under this imploding nightmare “Obamacare” is replaced with something based on free market choice, and costs are brought under control PLUS coverage continues for pre-existing and everyone who needs it, let’s see what you all say then.
    Just remember, Trump was NOT a politician preparing for every one of his comments to be dissected like all the other career politicians – Hillary has been preparing for this her whole life and every tax return she filed, every public comment she made appearances were considered, because that’s what career politicians do.
    Do I like the Access Hollywood comments, NO! But I like what he stands for in terms of American prosperity – I like that he speaks about a New Deal for African Americans, actually has a plan to help with inner city violence & poverty, to bring jobs back to this country. We live in this bubble NYC area – travel to the middle of the country and speak to people who are withering under this economy. We still have 47-48 million people on food stamps.
    Trump doesn’t get everything right, but what President ever did? All I am saying is GIVE HIM A CHANCE. This witch hunt is un-American it should be a peaceful transfer of power. Republicans who disliked Obama’s policies didn’t protest – and believe me there were plenty of people who were not happy with his politics.
    You know another important lesson to teach your children – don’t be a SORE LOSER.

2. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 19, 2017 @ 3:34 pm
  3. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  January 19, 2017 @ 3:54 pm

CME, when the Trump Administration crashes and burns on account of it’s own rot, corruption, and ineptitude, you can be sure Donald will be THE poster boy ‘SORE LOSER’. Youbetcha !

4. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 19, 2017 @ 4:15 pm

STQ – Our countries’s next President in approximately twenty hours.

5. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 19, 2017 @ 4:41 pm

*country’s

6. POSTED BY flipside  |  January 19, 2017 @ 4:52 pm

Spiro old pal..you should change your name to Negative Nellie. Look at the bright side. All those bus drivers getting overtime, t-shirt and other vendors having a big pay day, a million women bonding and feeling good about themselves, ..I could go on and on. Locally, plenty of room for your yoga mat, a table at Raymond’s or the Corner, easy parking at Whole Foods, ..and on and on. Sounds great to me…personally I am going to follow Mother T’s advice, “If you want to bring happiness to the world, go home and love your family.”

7. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 19, 2017 @ 5:38 pm

Silverleaf — like I would give Fareed Zakaria’s OPINION of trump, from October 2016 by the way, any weight whatsoever. He’s a card carrying member of the Clinton News Network, completely out to destroy Trump every step of the way. Like I said, I don’t agree with everything Trump has said or done as a private citizen – let’s give him a chance as our new President. So far I think he’s shown many positives that the left refuse to focus on:
    His public comments on the LGBT community have been nothing but supportive & reasonable
    Admitting that Planned Parenthood does some good work (what other republican does that) n to to mention Ivanka’s stance on working women and her influence.
    Repeatedly meeting with members of the African American community to forma a bridge, specifically his New Deal – I don’t see anyone in arms over what’s going on in Chicago besides him.
    I could tout some of his economic platform I agree with, but I doubt any liberal here will listen. Sometimes he’s crass in the way he says things, but he’s not a polished politician. I still say we’ve had presidents that have done far worse! Just give the man a chance – to protest the inauguration is misguided and not what this country stands for. Just for the record, Hillary has a pretty AWFUL record of being honest & trustworthy! Anyone care to notice or mention that the Clinton Foundation donations coming in have completely dried up!!! What they did with that foundation is criminal. So let’s make her NYC Mayor, that’s a great idea.

8. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 19, 2017 @ 6:54 pm

Relax, take a deep breath and see if you can stop foaming at the mouth long enough to comprehend what I am about to say.

Zakaria, among others, including noted psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health workers, etc have said that Trump suffers from what is known as a classic narcissistic personality disorder. As such, he exhibits behaviors including, but not limited to the following: a grandiose sense of self-importance, a preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, an or brilliance; believes that he or she is special; requires excessive admiration; has a sense of entitlement; is interpersonally exploitative; lacks empathy and or is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others; everything is personal; is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her; has a fragile ego; demonstrates arrogant, haughty,rude, abusive behaviors and or attitudes; has a strong aversion to criticism. That said, there are many types of narcissism (cultural, destructive. malignant, medical, etc.), but look, I don’t want to make this a tutorial in DMS-5 disorders. Suffice to say that this man is not fit, in the psychiatric sense, to hold the office of President of the United States. I am not speaking in regard to policy matters RE: health care, foreign affairs, national defense, etc. If you and those who voted for him cannot see this, only time will tell, but don’t tell me that his only liabilities are that he is sometimes crass and he is not polished. You will at least concede the point that he, as Zakaria said, is a bullshit artist !

Enjoy the inauguration tomorrow. I’ll be lighting a candle at St. Pat’s!

9. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 19, 2017 @ 7:20 pm

CME, let me ask you this. If, God forbid, there existed a Presidential candidate who exhibited such narcissistic personality traits that I listed above, would you in fact vote for that person?

10. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  January 19, 2017 @ 7:50 pm

Hey flipside, I feel like Baristanet has turned into an inside-out sock. Old regulars from an earlier time ( such as yours truly, STQ ) are understandably in a more negative mood in the impending Drumpf Era. This kind of bleak attitude was once voraciously monopolized by daily right wing Baristanet whiners like ROC, cathar, herbeverschmel, montclairgirl, and a few other less interesting Baristaville characters, for almost a decade. Some of them insisted they were doing it as patriots, self-styled loyal oppositionists. They persisted with their crankfest from the earliest Obama days ( and before ) until they all went extinct, never to be heard from again. Perhaps a meteor smacked into a local beer-and-shotglass dive, and they all vaporized.

11. POSTED BY flipside  |  January 19, 2017 @ 8:21 pm

Spiro…life is too short to be cranky. Just roll with it..this too shall pass.

12. POSTED BY elcamino  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:21 am

Per op, I look forward to seeing “Pussy Hat Riot” in D.C. but of all the offensive things PEOTUS has said, “grab em by the pussy” seemed to me (male) the most misunderstood. I thought he was bragging about celebrity and the sexual license that brings among fame groupies. He was just stating the obvious; fame/power/money/fantastic comb over are aphrodisiacs. I didn’t hear it as him advocating or confessing “sexual assault”

I don’t share CME’s enthusiasm for Trump, but I agree a 24 hour (possibly longer) “unity” cease-fire would be a welcome respite.

Silverleaf, I agree Trump may be clinically narcissistic, but I imagine most politicians are to varying degrees (Spitzer, Shumer, …). But Trump is a CEO from the business world, and the diagnosis of that sort is sociopathic. That’s seems scarier.

13. POSTED BY frankgg  |  January 20, 2017 @ 7:48 am

Silverleaf you’ve nailed it. An accurate characterization.

14. POSTED BY yngdaniel  |  January 20, 2017 @ 8:32 am

I think these demonstrations are important as a reminder that Trump does not have a sweeping mandate, and he should not be given carte blanche to remake the government in his image.

Not a reminder for Trump, but all the people around him, Republican Legislators, Staffers and others in the government. They need to be the voice of reason, rein in Trump’s excesses, and not buy into his self promotion.

Trump has had 2 months to show that he deserves our respect and support, what has he done during that time? He’s appointed billionaires and cronies for Cabinet positions, attacked civil rights icons, attacked the press, and anyone notable who publicly rebuked him. I’ve given him a chance and he’s thrown it away.

15. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 8:56 am

Trump is who he is. Those who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder do not “get better.” There is no drug to fix this. He’s not suddenly going to “rise to the occasion” within the Office of the Presidency. He will say whatever feels most comfortable or good to him at any given time. He will continue to lie and say totally different things to different people. His sense of entitlement is an outrage. As we have already seen from his candidacy, he will likely not observe traditional boundaries of the office. He has already stated that rules don’t apply to him. This has huge implications and we must hold him to the same standards as previous presidents. Every word that comes out of his mouth including “and”, “it”, and “but” is a lie!

16. POSTED BY meccamagic  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:07 am

Meeting with entertainers on Negro Day at The Tower is not building bridges to any Black Community. It is a photo op and a chance to push said entertainers personal projects. As for your president, he is a con man, liar, and scam artist, who has parlayed his way into 1600. He will reward his friends in the billionaire boys club, and punish his enemies…looks like the CIA and the pesky coastal elites are at the top of his list. He will declare victory on making America, Inc. “great again”, regardless of what actually happens here and abroad.

17. POSTED BY flipside  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:09 am

silverleaf…in a nutshell I think what you are trying to say is “…..meet the new boss, same as the old boss…” That song still sounds fresh.

18. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:10 am

“By the way, CME, would it surprise you to find out that per capita health care spending has grown more slowly during Obama’s term than during any comparable period since 1960?”

You’re kidding, right?

19. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:15 am

I do think Trump is a narcissist – question for you, do you think Hillary is? Do you think Obama is? I absolutely do! And I am not “foaming at the mouth” I am smiling ear to ear. Today is a great day & I feel like the world has finally been righted on its axis.
    I go back to my initial point — there is nothing to protest right now. All the protesters are doing is showing they are sore losers. Everyone knew the comments he made during the election and he won the electoral college – PERIOD.
    I have a long winded question for you, see if you can keep up —
    do any of you have the character to give him credit when:
    1) GDP doubles
    2) middle class wages rise for the first time in 15 years
    3) African American unemployment and Food Stamp dependency declines for the first time since pre-Obama
    4) health care costs go down not up AND the % covered continues to go up while covering pre-existing conditions
    5) women & gay rights improve not decline under his tenure
    6) AND all of our stock portfolios and retirement plans continue to go up.
    If these things come to pass, do you think that will merit accolades for Trump? Or will you cling to your liberal ideology/bias that only focuses on the negatives. Look at facts as they develop over the next four years is all I ask. Save the protests for when the facts support your case.

20. POSTED BY mike 91  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:55 am

All the protesters are doing is showing they are sore losers.

Two hundred thousand women believe that the plans he has already laid our during his campaign are worth protesting. There is nothing “sore loser-ish” about protesting to make Trump aware that it will be a mistake to go through with those plans. Oh, and some of them may be upset that a serial sexual assaulter is our new president.

I have a shorted winded question for you: Where are plans to do all these great things? What’s his healthcare plan? His HHS pick has plan that does not guarantee coverage for everyone, just “access.” What’s his plan to “double GDP”? Start a trade war? What’s his tax plan? Because if its the one he talked about during his campaign, it will great for rich people, and bad for everyone else.

I could go on and on. Trump has no plans, only braggadocio. His campaign, and now his administration, has so far been a marvel of ad hoc answers, ignorance and blaming the media for calling him out on it. Of course we would cheer all things you listed. The issue is, he has no interest in fulfilling them.

21. POSTED BY townie  |  January 20, 2017 @ 10:59 am

22. POSTED BY yngdaniel  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:04 am

Frank, I’m not kidding. I pulled our per capita National Health Expenditures from the CMS.gov website and compared the data, I’ll summarize it:

1960 $146 per person per year
    1970 $355 (9.29% annual growth rate)
    1980 $1,108 (12.05%)
    1990 $2,843 (9.88%)
    2000 $4,857 (5.50%)
    2008 $7,897 (6.26%)
    2015 $9,990 (3.42%)

So, just to get back to CME, health care costs grew at the slowest rate in 50 years while expanding the availability of health insurance to about 20 million more Americans. Given that Republicans have declared this a miserable failure, I’ll give Trump the same level of credit. If he manages to reduce cost and increase availability, I’ll admit that his plan was “passable”.

23. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:45 am

I’ll take this one by one – first to this comment “It is always a good idea for voices to be heard, so why anyone would oppose any protest is beyond me.”
    To protest the inauguration is un-American. I am all for voices being heard, but the timing is not right. Today is not about the man, it’s about the office, it’s about our Democracy and stands as an example for the rest of the world.

Frank – back to facts, can you clarify your health care increase stats, specifically what is that 3.42% mean in 2015 is that an annual increase vs 2014, or a compounded increase over several years? The reason I ask is that premiums went bonkers in 2016 per ACA, and momentum would indicate 2017 will also be a massive increase. The most recent momentum (’16-17) would indicate the affects of ACA are just now rearing their ugly head – and we are in for several years of massive increases which are extremely burdensome to the middle class who was sold this bill of goods.

As for the GOP not having a healthcare plan, they absolutely do. They have for years which is based on free market principles. Is it 2,000 pages long yet like ACA that we have to pass to find out what it entails?? No, but I’m sure it will be shorter and more readable in its final legislative form.

And Mike don’t spew me the same old “good for the rich, bad for the poor” crap – it’s tired, old and ridiculous. I’m not even going to waste my time.

24. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:46 am

One more thing — if corporate taxes go down to 15% and companies start hiring middle class workers at higher wages, how is that bad? We have the highest corporate tax rates in the world at 35% that alone is going to dramatically increase our economic growth.

25. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:57 am

Also from CMS: For 2015-25, health spending is projected to grow at an average rate of 5.8 percent per year (4.8 percent on a per capita basis).

Some specifics from 2015 for healthcare total spending. The first two items represent about 60% of the total:
    • Federal government spending increased 8.9% after growing 11.0 percent in 2014

• Households spending increased of 4.7 percent, which was an acceleration from 2.6 percent in 2014.

• State and local government spending increased 4.6 percent compared to 3.2 percent growth in 2014

• Private businesses spending increased 5.3 percent in 2015 compared to 4.7 percent growth in 2014

Obama didn’t break it, but he didn’t fix the spending issue. He addressed the coverage issue with the tools he had.

26. POSTED BY mike 91  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:05 pm

And that’s my point. None of the plans they have shared so far comes close to the coverage levels achieved under the ACA. Trump may have called for universal coverage, but that is not what the republicans are proposing and Trump has not shared his plan for doing so. Hooray for millions losing their healthcare! If only this was the right time to protest about it!

Tired, old, ridiculous, and unfortunately, the facts. Here is a analysis by the right-wing Tax Foundation. Even they say that under the recent Trump plans, upper brackets will receive tax cuts of 4% to 16% while brackets below that receive tax cuts of 1.2% to 1.9%. Thanks Donald!

And spare me the old trickle-down garbage. We tried that under Bush. Tax revenues went down, not up, and the economy suffered. His father called it Voodoo Economics, remember.

27. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:16 pm

mike91, STQ and silverleaf. Do you guys have your money where your mouth is? Are you bitter because you’ve been whacked by short positions?

Just curious because you each speak with such conviction. I don’t think Trump holds a candle to Obama’s eight years, but at the same time I’m not a seller. I’m long until he gives me reason not to be.

So?

28. POSTED BY mike 91  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:24 pm

29. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:33 pm

Let’s just see what happens (:

30. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:35 pm

CME,

As yngdaniel pointed out, the primary healthcare cost reduction strategy shared by both parties is to grow the GDP (so it becomes a small share, %, of economic activity). President Reagan’s strategy.

The secondary strategy, reducing the actual costs is where they differ most in their approaches. Clearly, the Republicans want to cut back on those covered and the covered costs. The Democrats argued decreasing demand for services and increased worker productivity would reduce costs. Basically, a case at the core of more capitalism and less socialism. More government vs more free-market. Short-term vs long term gain.

31. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 12:46 pm

mike91 – I give you credit for even responding to stay’s ridiculously inane question.

32. POSTED BY yngdaniel  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:11 pm

CME, regarding the growth rates, they are the average annual growth rate over the period in question. So, for 3.42% from 2008 to 2015, if you take the spending in 2008 $7,897 per person, and grow it 3.42% each year, compounded, you end at $9,990 in 2015.

This is a different issue than insurance premiums, which may very well be getting out of control. Unfortunately, the only way we actually reduce cost is going to be having the government get into price setting, which has been flat out refused for a long time. Trump could get that done, if he was willing to work with both sides of the aisle.

33. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:12 pm

@CME – So you acknowledge that Trump is a narcissist then counteract that argument by suggesting that both Obama and Hillary are as well. I want you to specifically point out Obama’s and Hillary’s narcissistic traits. Specifically.

Yes, your question is indeed long-winded. Are you asking us if we have the character to give Trump credit for 1-6??? For something that he might hypothetically do???

“All the protesters are doing is showing they are sore losers.” “To protest the inauguration is un-American.”

Do you even realize how ignorant and totally lacking in social and political awareness those statements are???

To be able to peacefully protest ANYTHING in this country is fundamentally American. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees that right. It is something we all learned about in elementary school. Read it so you don’t sound like a complete and utter nincompoop when you post your opinions for all to see.

34. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:19 pm

“What in God’s name are you on about? Either this is a poor analogy, or you’re sole criteria for judging a presidential administration is the health of your investment portfolio. Sorry, I don’t think that way.”

The economy is certainly not my sole criteria, but it is certainly weighted the heaviest in my calculus.

Not just me, the vast majority of voters consider it their number 1 issue.

35. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:25 pm

@flipside – “silverleaf…in a nutshell I think what you are trying to say is “…..meet the new boss, same as the old boss…”

No, I wasn’t saying that at all. I thought I was perfectly clear. Unless you have trouble reading English, I was exclusively characterizing Trump as narcissist, no one else.

And stop listening to all those “The Who” songs!

36. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:28 pm

Again I ask, because much of Trumps platform has knock-in effects for our economy. Equities are up 10% and rates have sold off in a bear steepener the Fed could have only hoped to achieve. This dynamic is a direct result of some of Trump’s potential policies.

When one speaks out in opposition of those policies I always ask if they have their money where there mouth is, otherwise, you are just pontificating.

Don’t get me wrong, its ok to be contrarian here, know a lot of folks who have that trade on and if you do too then awesome.

37. POSTED BY mike 91  |  January 20, 2017 @ 1:55 pm

Weren’t you among the chorus who told us over and over again that the Dow was not a great indicator of the Obama economy, because they were printing so much money that the cash ‘had to go somewhere?’ What changed? It might have been another of you charlatans, so excuse me if it was.

And again: Who cares? I’m sure some sick person out in Arkansas who got coverage due to the expansion of Medicaid is all giddy that equities are up.

38. POSTED BY johnqp  |  January 20, 2017 @ 6:54 pm

POSTED BY CMEinmontclair | JANUARY 20, 2017 @ 11:46 AM

Yeah right …..the more likely scenario is corporate cash hoarding.

39. POSTED BY johnqp  |  January 20, 2017 @ 6:56 pm

Yeah right …..the more likely scenario will be corporate cash hoarding. Outstanding share buybacks, here we come !

40. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 7:27 pm

John no offense but you know very little to nothing about corporate & return analysis. Before you make generalist ill-advised statements, do a little more homework…
    for the first time in 8 years, businesses will feel like investing is the right thing to do because it will be a strong business climate. So, no they won’t buy back their stock, which is what they have been doing for 8 year, due to fear and over-reaching government.

41. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 20, 2017 @ 7:34 pm

Hey silver leaf, stop ‘foaming at the mouth’ and stooping to personal insults. Of course you have the right to protest, which I think I said…I merely commented the inauguration is not the right time. The republicans also had the right to protest, but had more class & awareness of what this country stands for, and respected America’s historical grace during transition of power.
    You are probably a typical leftist who thinks it’s wonderful to respect diversity of opinion, unless that diverse opinion is not leftist liberal.

42. POSTED BY mike 91  |  January 20, 2017 @ 8:58 pm

And you don’t seem to know the difference between statutory rate and effective rate. Even the Wall Stret Journal admits that the tax that corporations pay is historically low. The Wall Street Journal! But yes, let’s for sure give them a tax break and ask real nice and pretty please if they would pas some of that windfall down to us.

43. POSTED BY johnqp  |  January 20, 2017 @ 9:07 pm

CME , one more thing : Get ready for an uptick in corporate M&A activity as a result of said cuts. Good for the markets, but not necessarily for your typical main streeter.

As for me, I’m going to party like it’s 2007.

44. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:22 pm

@CME – Let’s start from the very beginning. Your very first sentence in the very paragraph of the very first post of this story reads as, and I quote . . . . “As a fellow American woman I ask, why don’t you wait until the man takes office and fails to protest?”

What in the good Lord’s name are you trying to say here???

And yes, the Republicans had a right to protest but they did not. Why? BECAUSE A FECKIN’ NARCISSIST HAD NOT JUST BEEN SWORN INTO OFFICE. Get it????

45. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 20, 2017 @ 11:27 pm

Still waiting for you to identify those traits which make Obama a narcissist.

46. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 21, 2017 @ 7:11 am

I’ll help you out silver leaf.

An example of me being a narcissist is posting as much as I do.
    An example of a medical doctor being a narcissist is giving an armchair diagnosis in public with out examine a patient.

Can we give the narcissism a break?

47. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 21, 2017 @ 9:27 am

Give narcissism a break? It is at the nexus of our President’s personality disorder and therefore will impact every decision he makes. If you don’t think worthy of a public discussion, I’m afraid you are not getting it either.

48. POSTED BY wildwoodben  |  January 21, 2017 @ 10:00 am

53% of white women who voted, voted Trump. What in the world about our fellow citizens do we not understand nor appreciate to account for this? I will spend the next 4 years searching for an answer that could possibly be true. Hillary’s emails, sloppy server management, failure to campaign in Wisconson? It will take me a while.

49. POSTED BY wildwoodben  |  January 21, 2017 @ 10:04 am

… and I take great comfort in remembering that we have survived some pretty awful presidencies in my 79 years. The system should be able to check the new isolationism and find someone to pick the lettuce for a few years.

50. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 21, 2017 @ 10:13 am

My strong, personal advice is to find another psychiatrist if they are using a DSM-5 to diagnose you.

51. POSTED BY jcunningham  |  January 21, 2017 @ 2:30 pm

“An example of Obama being a narcissist is not helping out Hillary Clinton until it was too late.”
    —Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence.

“An example of Clinton being a narcissist is her not accepting responsibility for anything she did in losing the election.”
    —Obkection. Again, assumes facts not in evidence—unless Mr Rubacky has had extensive conversations with those in question. (Real, not in his head).

Is it narcisssistic to continually assert you have insights that you do not truly possess, Frank?

52. POSTED BY Spiro T. Quayle  |  January 21, 2017 @ 2:43 pm

Looks like the women’s march is happening bigly, and worldwide, with yuuuuge numbers. I expect many die-hard Drumpfanistas will be too upset to honestly accept the immense size of it all, and will declare any media or cop crowd tallies that create discomfort for them as ‘fake news’.

53. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 21, 2017 @ 3:32 pm

jcunningham,

Well, I didn’t see that coming…no siree Bob.

I never would have picked you to jump in and defend CMEinmontclair. I thought for sure you were a dyed in the wool Democrat. And, then to also undercut silverleaf with the not in evidence argument only confirmed it.

God, this is a fun thread.

54. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 21, 2017 @ 9:22 pm

Frank – You missed the boat here!

55. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 21, 2017 @ 9:30 pm

Day one, President self-imploding. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

56. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 8:47 am

Maybe, silverleaf. But, it was not like… say, J. Trumpy’s Sequoia. More like an inflatable stand-up paddle board.

57. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 9:27 am

And just for the fun, my favorite 2016 narcissistic moment was when Secretary Clinton, with seemingly decades of political experience, diplomatic expertise and future leader of the Democratic Party stood up before the world and called 40% of Americans The Deplorables!

It certainly was a lack of brains, experience, support, money. No, she said it because….???

That is why the Democrats lost.

58. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 9:28 am

It certainly wasn’t from a lack of

59. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 10:23 am

Frank, What Hillary said was a political gaffe. As someone said about the comment, “It’s okay to mock your opponent. Never a good idea to mock the electorate.”

The source of it was not driven by narcissism. To say so is evidence that you have no idea what true malignant narcissism is and therefore incapable of linking it to Trump.

60. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 22, 2017 @ 11:23 am

ok silverleaf, how is obama a narcissist? Oh let me count the ways!

First, this is a fantastic article that lays it all out:

I also would like to add that throughout his presidency, Obama has degraded people who disagree with him on policy or politics with this self-righteous air, nose as high as it can go as if he’s above everything and everyone. I remember when Biden called opponents of Obamacare economic “terrorists.” Really?? Obama’s nerve to tell the American people “You can keep your doctor, keep your insurance,” where’s the explanation of that one?

It’s obvious Obamacare can’t deliver its own promises. Narcissists (and the people who love them) do not worry about conflicts between reality and fantasy. It’s as if they’re above reality. Obama is a picture-perfect example of narcissism in practice. He’s a better example than Trump, who at least has been able to survive in the real profit-and-loss world of business. Obama routinely mocks and disparages people who disagree with him on gun control, immigration, defense cuts and the supposed pacifism of Islam. His style isn’t brash and blunt like Trump’s, but the contempt he holds for anyone who disagree with him is incredibly obvious the moment he opens his mouth.

As for Hillary, her actions seem incredibly narcissistic to me & reflect a woman who believes she is above it all: the abuses of the funds given to the Clinton Foundation vis-a-vis her power as Sec. of State i.e pay to play, her using her own email server for classified information that completely put this country at risk, her lack of taking responsibility for Bengazi or any other thing she’s done wrong….she is a power hungry narcissist if there ever was one.

61. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 11:41 am

Yes, many male Democrats will agree because, otherwise they would be terribly conflicted watching tonight’s American Football Conference Championship game.

It just seems a shame, & totally unfair, that a malignant mental heath disease can get you elected President and a political gaffe forces you into early retirement from any elected office.

62. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 11:46 am

And you can be sure that if this had been a male candidate that made this gaffe, the repercussions would not have been as severe, by half.

63. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 11:58 am

@CME – Ah yes, the “Independent Sentinel”, that last bastion of middle of the road, bi-partisan opinion. I’ll remind you that it is an independent blog and not an on-line news publication. I’ll point out just two things . . .

1) This, taken directly from its mission statement: “The Sentinel provides commentary, factual and original content, mostly political, usually right-of-center.”

2) Taken verbatim from its author page. It stands on its own merits . . .

“We want to tell you the news that the mainstream doesn’t want you to know about and commentary leans right.”

“I’m an ex-liberal and am amazed at all I didn’t know when I was a liberal, like: the Constitution isn’t a “living” document; giving out endless welfare checks is a bad idea; pity for prisoners is better spent on the victims of their crimes; guns aren’t evil but people are; free speech matters more than I knew which is why PC needs to be obliterated ASAP; women can be evil too; big government doesn’t do a good job; Kumbaya, We Are the World, It Takes a Village, and anything even remotely resembling those concepts are now out of my head unless I’m using them to make fun of somebody; sometimes war is necessary; socialism and communism have absolutely no redeeming qualities as systems of government; Carter wasn’t a good president and Reagan was, Green should go back to being a color.”

“Independent blogs like this one provide an opportunity for common folk to battle the corrupted mainstream media in a search for truth. We are searching, always searching.’

“We research and are as factual as possible and provide links to sources though commentary is commentary. If we make a mistake, we correct it.”

“The name Sara Noble is a nom de plume and my real name is Maura. There are a few reasons for the nom de plume and included in those is the fact that many of my family members are liberals and don’t want their last name out there on a center right blog. I started out with the pseudonym and just kept it. It’s a family name.”

“Pity me, I’m surrounded by liberals and I live in New York.”

Sara Noble

CME, this little discombobulated exercise wasn’t even worth the calories expended to research it.

Are you really Kelly Ann Conway?

64. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:09 pm

@Frank – “It just seems a shame, & totally unfair, that a malignant mental health disease can get you elected President and a political gaffe forces you into early retirement from any elected office.”

Yes, the same way a malignant mental health disease got Richard Nixon overwhelming elected in ’72. Twenty one months later, he resigned in disgrace. This country should be so lucky!

65. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:10 pm

silverleaf,

“It’s okay to mock your opponent. Never a good idea to mock the electorate.”

The quote is from the NY Times! C’mon, if you’re not going to try, then I’m just going to watch some deplorable in SD (television).

66. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:15 pm

@cme – “Obama is a picture-perfect example of narcissism in practice. He’s a better example than Trump, who at least has been able to survive in the real profit-and-loss world of business. Obama routinely mocks and disparages people who disagree with him on gun control, immigration, defense cuts and the supposed pacifism of Islam. His style isn’t brash and blunt like Trump’s, but the contempt he holds for anyone who disagree with him is incredibly obvious the moment he opens his mouth.”

That statement is an opinion, your opinion; a person who voted for Trump and who demonizes Obama. It is not a clinical diagnosis or example of narcissism.

Either come back when you can construct a (reasonably) intelligent argument or continue publicly embarrassing yourself.

67. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:20 pm

Frank, so you disagree with the statement?

68. POSTED BY CMEinmontclair  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:27 pm

silverleaf I can’t even get through your rant of gobbity goo! Embarrass myself?? You are really twisted my friend. I”m don – I stand by everything I wrote and believe it is a very well constructed argument. You on the other hand are incomprehensible.

69. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:40 pm

“A very well constructed argument?

Hmmmm, I wonder what Barista readers think about that?

70. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:51 pm

And BTW, the “rant” contained in my 11:58 post is not my rant at all. It is the rant of the publisher of the blog whose link you attached. A little secret; when quotation mark deployed, it indicated the words are of someone else.

71. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 12:54 pm

silverleaf,

The statement was dribble. Unnecessary. So, why did the NYT Corp have to point this out to one of the most educated readership bases in the world? Because it was part of a story to do damage control. It was also the media interviewing the media and calling it news. I get that. I get the economics that drive this. But, the spectrum of what is “true” news and what is “fake”news is sure getting a lot narrowing and diffused.

As an aside, a female Washington Post writer was interviewed yesterday on MSNBC and said men traditionally don’t really carry political issues because they have short attention spans. She said those are the facts. It was the Washington Post, so I was thankful that they were able to enlighten me.

72. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  January 22, 2017 @ 1:09 pm

That’s “drivel.” Dribble is what they do in the NBA.

I guess you are saying that it’s a bad idea to mock your opponent and good idea to mock the electorate.

73. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 22, 2017 @ 1:59 pm

Unfortunate, but appropriate to point out. I never devoted the time to my eduction. Thought I could get by. I could mitigate it by proofreading, so I’ll work on that as I should respect the readers.

To your question, I never agreed with the mantra “the customer is always right”. I thought a lot of customers were like the President. I shifted my career focus to stay out of contact with retail customers as much as possible. As you can imagine, no company considered me having executive potential, much less a leadership role, in their stores.

But, I have no problem with a politician taking the electorate “customers” to task. Just make sure you don’t need their votes to get elected….and, most importantly, you might first want to draft your inaugural speech – and how you’re going to represent all Americans. Otherwise, visiting Rhode Island books stores sounds like a good Plan B.

74. POSTED BY montclairrepublicans  |  January 23, 2017 @ 12:26 am

As an aside to this interesting conversation, Montclair Republicans (and friends) spent a sociable afternoon at their fifth annual Chili Cook-Off / Football Playoff party, with virtually no political conversation today after an intense 18 months; very enjoyable. If your politics put you on the spectrum at or to the right of center, and are looking for a nice group with which to associate in person, consider joining our mailing list. We’re not deplorable at all. Email [email protected]. ‘Like’ us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Montclair-Republicans-574682685890438/Learn more about us at: https://montclairrepublican.wordpress.com/ Happy New Year – paraphrasing Gloria Gaynor…we will survive.

75. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 23, 2017 @ 6:04 am

Wow. Great games! As a Green Bay Packer fan, I am so happy to see them beat the Falcons and finally return to the Super Bowl. While I don’t think the Super Bowl should be played overseas, Barcelona is a nice city. Too bad Tom Brady choked and let his Patriots be upset by Pittsburgh True Steelers.

Go Reublicans. No, your not deplorable.

76. POSTED BY Frank Rubacky  |  January 23, 2017 @ 6:06 am

So sorry. S/b you’re not.

I'm struck by how much attention is being paid to the details of a parking lot, as opposed to the attention paid to the future impact of the monstrous projects being planned.