Local Ways to Honor International Women’s Day

BY  |  Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 9:00am  |  COMMENTS (7)

International Women's Day

Today, March 8 is International Women’s Day. It is also being marked as A Day Without A Woman, an initiative to “highlight the economic power and significance that women have in the US and global economies, while calling attention to the economic injustices women and gender nonconforming people continue to face.”

Women, who can, are encouraged to take the day off from paid and unpaid labor, avoid shopping for one day (with exceptions for small, women- and minority-owned businesses, and/or wear RED in solidarity.

Montclair Bread Company is honoring the day by closing. “Our bakery will be closed to honor all the women who work hard everyday to support themselves and their families along with all the women throughout history who have paved the way to make this world a better place. All of our employees will be paid for their normal hours.”

However you personally choose to honor the day, you can support our local women owned businesses:

And thank you for reading Baristanet, a woman-owned business since 2004! You can support us here.

Just get out there and let our local women know what they mean to our community! Let us know in comments any other women owned businesses that deserve a shout out and how you’re honoring the day.

1. POSTED BY Kristin  |  March 08, 2017 @ 9:13 am

Also for flowers, including a monthly subscription service: R. Merritt Flowers http://www.rmerrittflowers.com

For home accents and paint/craft supplies: {verdigreen}: http://verdigreenhome.com

2. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  March 08, 2017 @ 9:33 am

Thanks Kristin! I’ve added them to the list.

3. POSTED BY Mia Riker-Norrie  |  March 08, 2017 @ 12:25 pm

Please consider making a donation to and/or volunteering for Opera Theatre of Montclair, a local nonprofit arts nonprofit founded and run by two women: operamontclair.org/donate . OTM will be producing Rossini’s Cinderella in September and educational outreach performances of Mozart’s The Magic Flute year round. The General Director will be spending today wandering through the streets of Bayonne hanging 100 posters for an upcoming performance there on 3/26. Help this woman and the artists she supports out! Thank you.

4. POSTED BY flipside  |  March 08, 2017 @ 12:26 pm

I am so grateful to have been raised by remarkably strong women. Even more grateful that they passed their strength on to my daughters. I am sure events like this are well intentioned but they seem very divisive in their actions. I am not sure promoting discord is the best way to achieve a goal but I am sure many women have had experiences or influences and believe this is necessary. The bright side is I feel compelled to call my mother and tell her how much I love and respect her, text my daughters and tell them the same, and pick up my late grandmother’s rosary and pray with her.

5. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  March 09, 2017 @ 12:11 pm

Nice sentiments re: the women in your life, flip, but you sound conflicted. Hop onboard; it’s a day worth celebrating!

6. POSTED BY flipside  |  March 09, 2017 @ 1:18 pm

Silver….I celebrate the women in my life every day. No conflict there. Divisiveness and boycotts are just not my thing.

7. POSTED BY silverleaf  |  March 09, 2017 @ 4:17 pm

Ah, you like your social change to come sotto voce. Doesn’t happen often.